Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
qhat
Jul 6, 2015

I interviewed for Microsoft once and I had to explain to the interviewer why binary searching a sorted array was better than searching linearly all values to the right. He still didn't get it at the end. I didn't get that job, lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

hifi posted:

maybe they were being rhetorically stupid and you failed the test

Nope. I gave the guy the correct solution and he repeatedly insisted searching linearly was actually the best solution because you can find the matching value and then quit the search right there, despite there being an obvious worst case which he couldn't seem to grapple with.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Fyi it was the question where you have to find which rectangles are contained within another rectangle on the same grid. Child's play.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Job hunting is harder than a lot of programmers think IMO. A lot of people haven't had to actually go out there and actually do it for months on end.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

When I moved to Canada I struggled to even get shortlisted for the majority of places. Not rly sure why, I had PR, resume was great and often had all the skills for the job. My guess is recruiters were wary about the current unemployment or lack of Canadian experience. Got what I wanted​ in the end but it took a few months.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

FMguru posted:

what about interviewing?

Easy if you don't have to explain poo poo to the interviewer who should know his poo poo

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

really getting *a* job is usually pretty easy, but there are a loooooooooooot of lovely jobs in this world

I interviewed and got an offer from a joint in Vancouver which described themselves as :airquote: a growing startup :airquote:. In 15 years they had amassed a totally of 6 staff. I turned that down lol.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

I poo poo you not I once had a company outright ask me in an interview "If you got an offer from amazon or MS etc, would you leave our company for it?"

Uh, maybe, in fact, now that you ask, yes.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

PokeJoe posted:

Yeah hop somewhere and see if you can get jr off your title

Amazed companies still put this crap on prospective job titles. Massive turn off, even to new grads.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

ThePeavstenator posted:

Question for the elderly: how far can you stretch "experience" for job requirements? I still work at the same company I interned at for 2 years and there's not really any room for growth as a computer toucher here. A lot of job postings ask for 3+ years of "professional experience" which I'm guessing is their way of saying "internships don't count".

If they say 3 years then in general they mean 3 years. You can try sending in a resume anyway, but you should use your cover letter to really highlight any skills you have that can fill in for that lack of experience. If your applications doesn't really stand out though then you prob don't have a shot, but there's no harm in trying anyway.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

hifi posted:

junior engineer would be fine if they treated it like an actual entry level position but i think it's just for people with zero confidence. looking at the junior jobs they still want like 5 years experience with whatever languages and tools

ya this is what I noticed. unless the person is a real idiot, there's no way you're going to get a multiple year experienced dev to accept having Junior at the top of their resume.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

IMO don't bother with bullshit GPA unless they specifically ask for in in the job description, noone cares at all. if you've properly described (concisely) what you did in your current job then that's enough. as for resume ony being a page long, absolutely in your case, but in general i don't think there's anything wrong with a 2 page resume if you've got tons of experience (like 8-10 years in multiple companies).

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

cis autodrag posted:

in specific scenarios sure, but in general if you have to ask then you probably don't need two pages basically. often a lot of your early job history can just be line items with dates unless the things you did there are super relevant to the current job opportunity.

:agreed:

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

FMguru posted:

yeah no one at all cares about your gpa. even for your first job out of school no one cares

got a resume a while back where someone had put their sat scores. i lolled, then placed it on the reject pile

a lot of people list their international qualifications too, as if anyone in this country is supposed to have any clue what they are talking about

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

ThePeavstenator posted:

The GPA thing is kind of weird because I was diagnosed with ADHD halfway through college when I almost got kicked out for doing so shittily. As soon as I got medicated my GPA was basically up there but I don't want to explain that my 3.0 is actually a 4.0 if you ignore half of my grades and also my brain doesn't do work too well without taking speed first.

e: should've refreshed first

yeah that's kind of what I was thinking

Here's a tip. If you don't want to have to explain something dumb, don't put it on your resume.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

The Management posted:

I used to feel embarrassed about asking experienced developers to reverse a string on the whiteboard. but so many people are so bad at coding that asking something ridiculously easy is a very useful filter. you don't want to ask them something harder and then sit through that train wreck if they couldn't have even reverse a string.

truth be told i've hosed up really basic technical questions like that cos I was ill at the time or something, but still managed to get through because instead of staring at a monitor the whole time like an autist, i'd actually do poo poo like draw things out on paper or explain what i was having trouble with etc. i've also seen lots of reviews on glassdoor of people who are like "I passed all the test cases but I still failed, what do they want then????". at the end of the day 90% of interviewers are looking for you to have a correct process rather than being a nerd lord who memorised a bunch of different algorithms online.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Just say you think the company is somewhere that you can really grow as an engineer and you'll pass.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

ThePeavstenator posted:

I usually am able to handle the standard boilerplate bobblehead interview questions but sometimes my ritalin will kick in while answering them and I'll go completely manic, rip off the suit I borrowed from my dad that's 3 sizes too big, revealing my arm tattoos of Nirvana lyrics along with my Che Guevara t-shirt on underneath, jump up on the interviewer's desk, and start screaming "THERE'S NO ETHICAL CONSUMPTION UNDER A CAPITALIST SYSTEM, FULL COMMUNISM NOW!" until I'm dragged out by security.

It's definitely important to assert your dominance in an interview.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

power botton posted:

why would you ever let an employee who just quit hang around the office

Because sometimes there is no conflict of interests and the person is happy to keep working and being paid until the company can organise for a replacement. P.much my old company would only ever kick you out of the office if you were going to work for a competitor.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

what is epic, are we talking about epic games here

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

cis autodrag posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epic_Systems

edit: lol they've clearly self-edited that since the last time i looked at it.

oh, healthcare, yeah no surprises there

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

C.H.O.M.E posted:

in some jobs i have seen people walked to the door the moment they gave 2 weeks notice. HR says your last two weeks is two weeks of PTO just don't come in and we pay you for two weeks and you go away.

I have also seen some people accept a better offer and stay on for a month longer (at the employers request) to finish a certain project before moving on.

don't burn bridges, you never know what weirdo on the other end of that bridge might help you out later. You might not see them for 20 years, but 20 years is a long rear end time. when you see them in 20 years all that matters is that you parted ways professionally, you don't want to apply for a job and realize its the HR guy who you handed a poo poo smeared resignation letter to 20 years ago.

pretty much this. at my last job i gave 2 months because it was right in the middle of an important project that i was entirely in charge of. the project got completed on time and they even had someone lined up to take over my role within a week or two of me officially leaving. that company will now probably re-hire me if i ever so wished.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

the thing is you don't even realise half the time how far up the food chain your dogshit will travel. one of our interns once accepted a full time role with us and then proceeded to slag the company off big time on social media before pulling a no show on start day. it went all the way up to the CTO lol.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

I've never found any recruiter to be at all useful.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

ThePeavstenator posted:

Is this hyperbole? I've been contacted by quite a few recruiters and haven't responded to any, but I've read some of their pitches that outline them getting people 6 month contracts and then getting hired. Doesn't sound like the worst to me but I don't really know too much about the recruiting business and I haven't really seriously started looking for a new job until now.

Maybe it's just my experience, but I've just never had any worthwhile opportunities ever come from recruiters. Many of the big good to work for companies will not even accept applications from recruiters, only from direct applicants, because often recruiters have absolutely no idea what kind of person is suitable for the roles they are trying to fill. They sometimes even go as far to alter candidate's resumes to fit a role they aren't suited for, which leads to embarrassing confrontations when they actually get an interview.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

The Management posted:

I'm only going to look at the first page so it doesn't matter how long your resume is, the rest of that poo poo is getting ignored.

Ya. Two page resumes are good but like only if the important poo poo is on the first page. Everything on the second page I feel is for an optional bonus when you're coming into interview.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

raminasi posted:

we keep getting candidates come in with four-page resumes jammed full of technologies and buzzwords (both an overall section, and an explicit section for each individual job listed) and we never read any of them. it's endemic and so stupid, nobody reads that poo poo. "ah yes I see you used .net 4.5 at your most recent job and .net 4 at the one before that and .net 3.5 at the one before that and .net 3.0 at the one before that, these are all very important for the work we do here."

I mean 4 pages is obviously loving retarded and the fact they sent in more than 2 pages, let alone 4, is enough reason to reject them on the spot

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

It's pretty hilarious how dumb the USA's immigration system is

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

cis autodrag posted:

for real. its pretty much only worth navigating if you are a skilled technical worker because pay for that kind of poo poo is inflated here compared to other countries but if you're like an academic or something why the gently caress would you ever come here with how poorly we value you? universities are even trying to do away with tenure these days.

Honestly H1b is such a complete poo poo show that it's almost not worth hedging your bets on, even if you are a technical worker. Canada was cool, you can get PR without even stepping foot in the country. You can even get citizenship after 3 years, so I think that means NAFTA becomes available?

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Shaggar posted:

the government services aren't gonna make up the pay + benefits difference. its why this guy is leaving Canada in the first place.

Yup lol pretty much the only reason any american company would set up in Canada would be to take advantage of easy immigration and simultaneously pay less.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Here's a list of all the hot new techs coming out of Canada this decade:

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

ThePeavstenator posted:

One time I saw a Blackberry in real life. It was my dad's. I was 10.

blackberry is canadian? lol. i feel like this explains a lot.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Diva Cupcake posted:

to be fair, it's equally as difficult to get a legit work visa in the EU without either being sponsored/transferred by the multi-national you currently work for, or being a highly skilled professional.

your average office assistant isn't up and moving to switzerland any time soon unless they marry a resident.

the problem i see with h1b is it's abused by outsourcing companies who have the resources to file tens of thousands of visa applications for relatively lower skilled workers in places like india, rather than companies who are looking to bring in real talent that they can't find at home. hence why tata and infosys, both indian outsourcing firms, collectively own the majority of the entire h1b quota.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

basically lottery systems are loving idiotic and the US system needs to start prioritising applications based on human capital like qualifications, work experience, language ability, etc, but certainly not on the output of a random number generator

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

cis autodrag posted:

deed is done. he got real weird about it but im out of here.

gently caress 'im

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

cis autodrag posted:

now i have to practice using os x

I'm so sorry to hear that.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Out of curiosity, what are you guys actually putting in your cover letter? Mine is pretty much thank you for considering me, here is a brief list of things in the job that match my resume, here's a small paragraph explaining any obvious weaknesses, you can get in contact with me at this email and telephone, look forward to discussing more with you, Butts McGree.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

these ratios are about right for every position i've ever run hiring for

the thing you have the most control over is not being in that first cut, a little effort makes a big difference there.

making it through subsequent rounds gets harder to impact each time, i.e. think about the last cut: 3 great people left, 1 job -- it's almost chance based there.

pretty much this

when i did phone interviewing the amount of people we turned away was crazy, like 9 out of 10 phone interviews resulted in a ding. shitloads of people don't even know the most basic things, like the difference between recursion and iteration, and how to figure out the max value of an int, or what polymorphism is.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Yes and you're failing at it so far

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Never give recruiters anything they don't need to know. Only mention other offers after they've provided you with a firm offer package.

• Locked thread