Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

a year or two ago qirex (or maybe rotor?) posted some a-class questions for in-person interviewers and they've always been crowd pleasers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Boiled Water posted:

your manager will stall you for as long as possible with promises of a raise that ultimately never comes

[ask] me about making this exact mistake and being led on for three months

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Never work for a job that requires clearance. Seriously.

i used to think nothing could be more arbitrary and frustrating. now i'm working for a healthcare insurer and hoooooly poo poo they make the federal gov't look like a well oiled machine

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

big scary monsters posted:

no, that's exactly the opposite of what im saying. i'm saying computer science is a badly misnamed branch of mathematics, and should probably be renamed and taught by maths departments instead of engineering faculties or whatever. then have a separate course for programming and databases and networks and so on, call it computing maybe

i think part of the problem is that respected and influential universities don't like to teach purely vocational subjects, and so in a top 50 cs bs they force a bunch of students destined to be web devs and network administrators to learn a bunch of maths crap they don't care about, while also trying to teach aspiring mathematicians sql. and then they call that bizarre mishmash of a subject a science for some reason

still catching up with this thread

abet now offers a software engineering curriculum

it covers everything u need including design, requirements gathering, testing, maintenance, source control, patterns, etc.

ok back to reading the thread see u guys in a few more pages!!

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

mishaq posted:

hft should be illegal

implement a penny tax on all trades. bing bong so simpel

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

lancemantis posted:

plz post them

- who do you work with on a daily basis / describe the day to day role
- how are decisions made / how will [team] be asked to accomplish things / who makes those decisions
- what are the company's primary values? what characteristics are you looking for in a candidate in relation to those primary values?
- what would be expected of me for the first / three / six months? What will success look like in this position, how will it be measured?
- what sort of training/mentoring/career dev things are here
- what's the most impressive thing you've seen out of someone else you've interviewed recently
- What do you see as the most challenging aspect of this job?
- how do you set milestones/deliverables for projects and how does your team react when it's clear they won't be met
- when was the last time you took pto / how much did you take / what did you do

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

- who do you work with on a daily basis / describe the day to day role

translation : are you working with a well-defined team that puts out consistent work or is this place a clusterfuck with people coming and going on a weekly basis because management is incompetent

- how are decisions made / how will [team] be asked to accomplish things / who makes those decisions

translation: are the people making decisions that impact your work accountable to you / your team and do you have the ability to influence them or are they dictated from on high or even worse forced upon you by a hostile entity

- what are the company's primary values? what characteristics are you looking for in a candidate in relation to those primary values?

translation: if they say 'uhhhhhhhhhh' here it's a red flag. if they throw gibberish at you it's not a red flag but it's not a good look either. this should get a human bean answer

- what would be expected of me for the first / three / six months? What will success look like in this position, how will it be measured?

translation: same as the last one.

- what sort of training/mentoring/career dev things are here

translation: they should also be able to answer this without thinking. if they hesitate or bullshit you it's a red flag

- what's the most impressive thing you've seen out of someone else you've interviewed recently

translation: what qualities are people here impressed with. what caliber of candidates are you also considering.

- What do you see as the most challenging aspect of this job?

translation: every job has some bullshit aspect to it. this is their chance to lay it on softly and your chance to decide if it's a particular brand of bullshit you can put up with

- how do you set milestones/deliverables for projects and how does your team react when it's clear they won't be met

translation: are you going to work me like a slave when we don't hit the deadline we never agreed to

- when was the last time you took pto / how much did you take / what did you do

translation: without fail lovely interviewers for lovely companies will try to deflect this one. if they try to say 'oh no don't worry about that' or respond with their actual pto policy just reiterate that they didn't answer your question. when was the last time YOU took pto

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

i may have modified / added / tossed a bunch of them idk

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Elysiume posted:

company's mission: make money
company's value: the amount of money they have made

some of those questions I would probably have decent answers for, but some of them I'd probably blank as I tried to think of an answer that sounded positive

ya that's the point. it's not the answer itself because everyone can spew out bullshit. it's how hard they have to think about answering and whether you feel like they're coming about them naturally or not.

if you're lucky the guy interviewing you will be totally honest and say something like 'ha yeah get ready to burn the midnight oil if it looks like a deadline is gonna slip' but don't count on it

job i'm at now i talked to 5-6 people and asked a handful of these to every one of them and they all had responses quickly and it didn't look like they had to think of a correct answer before giving it to me. now i've been here a few months and surprise: they weren't bullshitting me. it's actually a good place to work

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

you don't have to say those questions verbatim. just be all 'so what things are most important to you guys in day to day work'

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

cavefish bruh

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

OldAlias posted:

lol on topic. we all do labour here, yospos is the digital labourer forum

uh oh

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

fortunately my only enemy is at a company i wish to avoid so much that i'd quit my job if we were even acquired by them

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

they key is being referred such that the interview is just a formality

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

i got a phone interview tomorrow im excited about doing golang stuff for a recently ipo'd company which sounds like a good middle ground between corporate and startup but maybe it's bad for some reason

nope. i think it was glassdoor or someone like that but they did a survey and found that generally the sweet spot for happiness & compensation & all the rest is generally at the mid-size company level. small enough so that you don't disappear into corporate ennui but big enough that they actually make money and the life of the company won't be in your hands on a daily basis

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:eyepop:

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Bloody posted:

so I may have accidentally emailed my boss/boss's boss/HR my signed offer letter instead of my signed notice of termination today

gorilla mindset

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

so how did they react? tell us the story man

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Maximo Roboto posted:

* technical writer
* recruiter

the others in the list pay well but lol @ these

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

also generally to be a sales engineer you need to be technically literate enough to bullshit devs occasionally so I wouldn't go so far as to call it non-technical

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

devmd01 posted:

because my boss is incompetent, we have half the staff we should for the amount of people/infrastructure we support, and I'm not doing the extra half an hour to my commute that our new building at the end of the year will add. :)

I have on paper that I'll be getting a 7% raise in March and my potential bonus is greatly increased, but I'm not sticking around for another year of this bullshit since they only pay out if you're employed through the end of the year.

our network admin walked away from their bonus when they quit in November because they hated it so much.

going from that yearly bullshit to quarterly was such an unexpected breath of fresh air. I got my first one halfway through my second month. manager just called me up all 'hey yeah your objective for the first year is to ramp up and you're doing fine so gj' ten minutes later my phone blorps to tell me that a deposit into my account was made.

really didn't think I'd care about that element at all but it's real nice having an employer have confidence in their end of the deal- enough that they don't attach all sorts of strings to stuff like that

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

also enjoy the fact that they're conservative as gently caress with EVERYTHING so they never ever ever rush

at least that's been my experience with banking shops

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

minivanmegafun posted:

ugh I hate interviewing other people so much

and resumes even more

so we're hiring for my manager. I think the only person directly asked on my team if they want to be the manager was me and I said "lol no."

these resumes are SO BAD. one talks about how they rolled their own encryption and is full of the worst grammar mistakes and uses the word "liased". this one I'm looking at now has a huge half-page block of Skills that I just spent the last 10 minutes highlighting all the repeated things in. and they're both just loving :words: and over 2 pages long.

the delete key is cool and good. please use it on your resume. the less dumb poo poo you put on there the less time I'm going to angrily circle the incorrectly used apostrophe and grill you on why you rolled your own crypto back in 2002.

i had to review a resume that was 20+ pages once

i threw it away

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

oh if we're gonna hate on recruiters i guess i'll toss this gem out again

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

not sure if that's better or worse than the form letters the rest of them send out but it was certainly more memorable

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Most sane employers don't expect you to be anywhere close to productive in your first month unless you're a very expensive consultant explicitly being brought on for a specific job. most sane employers won't expect you to be self-sufficient until about six monthsish

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

leper khan posted:

jfc if I wasn't working on anything for a year I'd probably just quit. probably wouldn't even make it that long on only garbage assignments.

i'm not saying you won't be working on anything, just that you won't be self-sufficient. ie: you don't know what their code standards are, you don't know how their common libraries are organized/accessed, you don't know which department or persons are responsible for which systems, etc. stuff like that

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

TerminalRaptor posted:

Just had a candidate in today that we're going to have to pass on.
One of my team members ran into her at a career fair, and was really impressed. Said team member's husband was also there and was equally impressed. She nailed every question on the programming test, had a great resume, had a great phone screen, and when we had her in today, she just bombed on the white-boarding.

I hate doing white-boarding and I gave her what I thought was an easy question, especially since it was remarkably similar to a question she had on the programming test. I figured I was going to be spending my time seeing if they could come up with the optimal solution. She struggled the entire way through, and it was across the board, including not having a return parameter on her method (the question was a 'return x from y' type question). She didn't ask enough questions while working, as I was willing to practically walk her through it if she'd ask the right questions.

I was really hoping I was just being overly-critical as she was a graduating senior, but afterwards me and the other two interviewers (including my team member who first met her) agreed it was bad, and were all disappointed because we wanted her to ace it. I'm wondering now if she had someone review their programming test before turning it in because it was too perfect compared to what she did today. It could have also been nerves, and that makes me feel awful, but she did nothing to save herself out there.

Practice white-boarding. Programming Interviews Exposed is a great book. Unless you're dealing with a real dick of an interviewer, we're more than willing to guide you if you ask the right questions. Colleges should also do a better job prepping CS majors for interviews.

or maybe you're expecting her to know the implicit expectations of a whiteboard question which is unreasonable considering that this was probably her first one ever? maybe your interview process is broken- not her?

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

if you place strict expectations that your candidates be super well prepared for your arbitrary interview process guess who you're going to end up hiring?

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

I just realized that at my old job I'd already seen several people quit by now while current job it's been nothing but hiring, promotions, smiles, rainbows and buttercups

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

da beeper king BABY posted:

I just spent like four loving hours on a programming assignment for a company I'm not even especially interested in

don't do this

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Cold on a Cob posted:

i wonder who has the highest net worth in yospos. is threefive still around or did he finally ragequit forever?

can't remember his name now the magnets guy he's fairly high up in Facebook so I imagine the equity has treated him well

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

is that subjunctive? because he left facebook last year afaik but i didnt stalk him to find out what hes doing now.

yes! i knew it started with an 's' but 'sagebrush' was all my brain was offering up

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

not gonna comment on your financial situation but i will reiterate the absolute need to have a nest egg. fortunately i learned that lesson the hard way when i was still really young and crashing on a friends couch with nothing to eat but rice & beans for several months wasn't too big a deal.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

yup. if you know nothing about the position it's worth sending it out if you maybe kind of meet the description and hit 25% or the requirements. worst thing that'll happen is a practice interview that you bomb.

if it's a referral then ignore the listing entirely because they wouldn't be referring you if you didn't qualify

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

lancemantis posted:

(like 1.5 years awful)

how the hell isnt your company atrophying away??

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

hifi posted:

i talked to a recruiter and literally the next week he hosed off to be an account manager at yelp. i 've had a few interviews at places since thanks to some inside buddies and one of them didn't want to talk to me since i didn't have any experience with tdd and the other one was just a culture fit interview and the guy rambled on about scratch and sniff wallpaper and i probably said maybe a dozen words total and i had to ask my guy to beg hr with what was up (nothing, not a culture fit). and then i went into a spiral of depression. today i looked at linkedin jobs and the first one under entry level wanted a masters degree and 5 years experience to do jr java ecommerce stuff. i think i'd rather be a shadetree plumber at this point

talk to recruiters until you find one that isn't a shithead and let them do the hard work for you

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Uncle Enzo posted:

well yeah, my brother is bad at tests, that's what i loving said. my point is that tests- particularly when designed by smug know-it-alls that think they're infallible- don't reflect much of anything besides the ability to take tests.

i discussed this same issue with our math prof. his view was that tests can be: 1. a test to see how well you've learned and can apply the things you've been taught or 2. a thing that assesses your ability to improvise on the spot on what you've learned, meaning you're not tested on what you've been taught, but on stuff that's like it

he expressed disdain for the first view, saying that if all he did was test someone's recollection of what they'd been taught, that was useless. he much preferred the second, where for example a test question had you describe the area under a 4-d curve, using equations given in a system of notation unlike any that we'd seen. I pointed out that it was unfair to introduce novel notation on the test, seeing as he'd never actually covered it. he said what you did, that if all he tested was if you'd learned what he'd taught, what was the point of that?

all I'm getting at is that some people just don't test well, despite having as much knowledge and talent as anyone. my bro is great at figuring out what people want based on short conversations- besides, most people aren't sure of what they want anyways. it's hard to write questions that clearly indicate what the writer wants without giving the answer. it doesn't help when someone tries to make it into a dick-waving contest to boot.

idk maybe I'm a dipshit but a big part of operating in the irl is knowing when someone is laying a trap or being cute cuz they're a dick or even doing everything 'correct' in a deliberately wrong manner just to gently caress with whatever and being able to spot that stuff is important.

I wasn't there for these tests tho so idk. just saying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

or maybe they just flat out suck at expressing their ideas despite being real smart and you have to figure out wtf they're talking about and oh turns out all their words are backwards and what you thought was a recipe for some homely coconut rice is actually the solution to your business peobelm. basically what I'm saying is learn the Socratic method because that poo poo will save you

• Locked thread