Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

The Management posted:

free money is always good enough. even better if that 15% is not just off the closing value at the end of the period but some formula that makes it more favorable.

but really you should be pipelining that espp and selling it when it goes long term capital gains. the great thing is that the capital gains timer starts at the start of the espp period, not when you buy the stock.

how does this work? idk any of this poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
is facebook bad to work for? a recruiter reached out and while i'll probably decline because it's a relocation and i don't want to move, i feel like it's worth keeping my name in their system if they don't suck

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

it's for platform engineering (which is what i do at my current place) but those teams are in ny, seattle, and silicon valley.

wonder if i can parlay it into a regular eng job in the boston office 'cause beyond having to learn some hack i don't see a huge downside.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

lol wtf glassdoor says salary-wise it'll be a lateral movement or maybe a step down. i know

Progressive JPEG posted:

take-home pay will double or triple once vesting starts

but that's still kinda lol-worthy

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

i went from my own office with a door and a view of a courtyard to an open plan with coworkers in close proximity and i like my new one much better.

i feel like i'm more engaged and friendly with my coworkers and idk it's more relaxed. not sure i can describe it entirely but i like it :shrug:

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

sorry about your lovely coworkers

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

lol i got "better than average overall, killings it in some places but not great in others" and still got 6.something percent

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

it's been loving impossible to hire a platform (devops) engineer in boston. salary is awesome, the company is well known and great to work for, the role is cool, and we're doing a ton of sweet greenfield stuff with distributed systems but can barely get a nibble. idk wtf.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

that's why it pays so well

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

St Evan Echoes posted:

i always assumed devops boils down to "boy our build is a loving mess, let's pay someone to make it their problem"

generally this but our team is cloud focused rather than working on build systems.

the problem is not people interviewing and going elsewhere it's that the senior devops community is tiny and most people like their job and aren't interested in moving.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

FamDav posted:

so what's the pay

significant six figgies for sure

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

yeah it's good base but obviously we're not doing as well as goog/fb/etc so additional comp is clearly not worth as much. that said i'm a l2 (mid-level) and my total comp is north of 150k

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

usually i'd agree but we've been through that but already and lowered our sights significantly

idk my point is that hiring can be just as bad as interviewing

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

jre posted:

So it's toxic culture then ?

Why aren't people turning up for our 7am / 8pm interviews ?

i mean i don't think so :shrug:

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

jre posted:

Well, you're trying to hire in a major city, not paying peanuts and no-one wants to know. You don't have some stupid 5 interview & take home execise process ?

nope phone screen with recruiter, phone interview with manager, then on site with our team

hifi posted:

just promote your junior and regular devops engineers

that's what i've been pushing for honestly. we'd have much better luck hiring 3 juniors to cover the 2 senior reqs we have open and then teach and promote

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

cis autodrag posted:

Right? If the pay was right I'd move to Boston to do devops, but I'd very much be learning on the job.

i'll post here if we decide to look for someone more junior than our current hunt 'cause i bet you'd be a great fit for our team

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

Pointsman posted:

I ended up in essentially a junior devops/SRE type role in my last gig and sure enough it's something I gradually moved into and picked up. Seems very hard to hire externally for.

that's why you hire more senior if you don't want someone who's like "yeah i managed my own aws account that's webscale right?"

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

hobbesmaster posted:

a sysadmin's whose scripts are larger than most applications

lmao it's 100% this

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

yeah it is most definitely deece, but its not like 'HOILY WOW 150 TOTAL COMP'

no one said it was but i'm also L2 and not senior so :shrug:

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

i'd 100% rather live in boston than silicon valley or nyc. rents here are absurd but not that bad.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

yeah but then you have to live in a postage stamp sized box with a roommate to not pay a fortune

also aside from fb, etsy, datadog, and google who else is in nyc that pays at that rate other than fintech?

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

Captain Foo posted:

Blinkz0rz i'm a network guy that wants to stay in boston hire me thx

no joke pm me and we'll figure something out

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

i wish we could just talk about the stuff we've done like literally every other field instead of taking stupid quizzes

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

The Management posted:

a lot of people can talk well about what they did but can't code for poo poo. they should talk to you and then have you demonstrate that you can write a program

meh, a lot of other industries require plenty of domain specific poo poo that no one gets super grilled on

i guess it's the figgies but still i hate interviewing

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

fart simpson posted:

aren't they unlimited vacation as long as your manager approves the requests?

what's the manager going to do if you just take vacation? that's what i've always done. "hi team, i'm going to be on vacation from <date> to <date>, please let me know if there's any information you need from me before i leave."

remember, "it's easier to ask forgiveness than it is to get permission"

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

The Management posted:

hi Blinkz0rz,

According to the schedule you're expected to deliver <task> by the end of <milestone>. other teams are depending on this to be complete so they can get their features done. will you be delivering this code before you go and guiding it through integration? who will be supporting them and fixing bugs in your code when you're gone?

keep me updated,
The Management

hi the management,

that other guy will be doing the rest. idgaf who.

best,
blinkz0rz

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

The Management posted:

the rest of the team has their own assignments. be at my office at 3pm today to review the outstanding deliverables and timeline. also I don't see a vacation request in the time tracking site. your time off is not approved until it's entered in there and I click approve. we'll discuss at 3.

mishaq posted:

lol if you need approval

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

mishaq posted:

also unlimited vacation sounds like a great way to eliminate fixed PTO buckets and the associated legally required payouts when the employee leaves for unused balances

it's 100% this

it also gets around some of the cash-on-hand accounting requirements for accrued pto payouts although those vary from state to state.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

raminasi posted:

the glassdoor median salary in NYC seems low to me, which part of my expectations is wrong

how much ad agency monkeys who write html and css get paid and how many there are

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

our information security team has been trying to poach me for 2 years now, but going over there would be like drinking bleach what with how much my current group and that one hate each other. and we have to work together constantly.

yo mostly same except 2 months instead of 2 years and the infosec engineering team owns bones and the job would let me lead a team of junior developers getting a foothold in our cloud environment. it combines my 2 passions: mentoring and developing talent, and more money.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

cis autodrag posted:

he called. figgies are in my future. he did wrestle base pay out of me during the talk though.

:toot: :toot:

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

in my entire career i've never come upon a situation where not knowing big o notation has affected me in the slightest. the first and only times i ever hear about it are in the context of interviews.

like if you're gonna come up with some gotcha bullshit for an interview at least make it a bajillion times less "look at my swinging cs dick"

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

cis autodrag posted:

people say "big o" as shorthand for "do complexity analysis". if you can't look at your algorithm and explain its runtime and space complexity that's bad. i can't tell you the number of 100x or greater speedups i created in epic's software by just noticing that an algorithm was n^2 or worse and looking for a different approach.

complexity analysis is an important tool in your toolbelt for writing well performing code. if you're actually saying that you can do complexity analysis but you never learned the big o big omicron big omega way of writing out floor/base/ceiling, sure that's fine. as long as you know how to figure out how much work your program is doing and how much space it takes up.

that's kind of what i'm getting at. if you went into an interview and were like "oh i don't know any of the notation for complexity analysis but i can spot a poorly performing algorithm and refactor it with a better choice" you'd still get laughed out because interviewing had become a lovely cargo-culting fuckstorm of gotchas and it's terrible and i hate it

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

this is the guy who walks around inserting O(n**n) algorithms into code

he's the rear end in a top hat you clean up after. know him. fear him. avoid hiring him.

lol ok

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

jony neuemonic posted:

i learned php, those shops have no standards.

yeah tbh that's the sort of place i started

e: i wasn't a cs major either so i never learned any of this stuff formally

Blinkz0rz fucked around with this message at 21:02 on May 29, 2017

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

redleader posted:

i don't think big O is conceptually hard. i did a bit in babby's first uni maths course ages ago and i can make an educated guess about the complexity of an algorithm, but i've never done and probably wouldn't be able to do any formal analysis of an algorithm's complexity

it's this

it's the vocabulary and motions of a field of study entirely unrelated to actually making computers go beep and boop

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

literally the definition of a cargo cult

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

Brain Candy posted:

being familiar with this stuff is cool and good. knowing how to use it is better

needing to regurgitate Flynn's cycle detection algorithm to get a job is loving moronic

thank you for putting this better than i've been able to

knowing how to implement an algorithm in an interview is stupid because whenever that comes up at work you google it, look at existing implementations, read whatever papers have been written, and determine whether the algorithm is appropriate.

being able to identify an algorithm as O(n log n) vs O(n^2) in an interview is pointless because it doesn't actually help the interviewer understand how you work

it's the same kind of exercise as trying to estimate the number of jelly beans in a jar or sands on a beach

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

Brain Candy posted:

maybe being stubborn about not learning things that would take an afternoon to learn is foolish

maybe substituting the hard question of whether a person would be a good employee for the easy question of 'is the person like me' is foolish

:thunk:

i recognize that learning the formal notation around algorithmic complexity is important to go through the process. i'm just bemoaning its place in the interview process because imo (and this has always been imo) it doesn't tell the interviewer anything beyond the ability to regurgitate your intro to algorithms textbook

• Locked thread