Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

nah, amazon deserves to be shamed for treating people like that and it is the responsibility of people who go through those experiences to let the world know that amazon's HR practices can suck a dick

it seems that everyone who has ever worked at amazon says that it's a horrible meat-grinder company whether you are in corporate or packing boxes in a warehouse, so running people off early is doing them a favor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Blinkz0rz posted:

i wish we could just talk about the stuff we've done like literally every other field instead of taking stupid quizzes

at least it's better than the mid-00s when all of that "interview 2.0" poo poo was in full swing everywhere and even people applying for menial jobs were getting grilled on "if you filled the super dome with water and dropped in a 747 filled with golfballs how much would the water level rise? please be precise to the millimeter."

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

hobbesmaster posted:

lol if you think computer science has anything to do with computer hardware

that's way data-oriented design is good

also anyone who suggests that a linked-list is the correct answer to a problem is wrong 99% of the time

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

cis autodrag posted:

you mean infinity cache misses for easy insertions isn't a good tradeoff?

there are no cache misses in theoreticalville

also the hookers and booze are free

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

there is no best answer when it comes to sorting

something simple like insertion sort can be the fastest option if the data set is small or already sorted/nearly sorted. quicksort has worse worst-case complexity than something like heapsort (o(n^2) vs o(nlogn)), but in the real world quicksort is usually the faster option as long as you aren't feeding it data which has already been sorted. of course, quicksort and heapsort aren't stable sorting algorithms, so if you need that you need something like merge sort (which potentially needs to allocate memory) or the more naive sorts like insertion if it needs to be in-place

cis autodrag posted:

i mean, the two options i know of are either using a bucket (which itself may be a hashtable, array, linked list, whatevs) or doing the thing i can't remember the name of where you put the collided value into the next nearest available index (possibly incrementing by some amount >1 in your search). but afaik the tradeoffs end up being super specific to the use case and most of the time your still better off with the standard library version in whatever lang you use because they are less likely to have hosed up the basics than you are.

open addressing with linear probing. it's real fast if you store the hashes and data in separate arrays since the search portion just becomes running over an array of integers. it's not too hard to write something which beats unordered_map since it ends up traversing a linked list for many operations

The_Franz fucked around with this message at 16:15 on May 30, 2017

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

xxhash by the guy who designed lz4 and zstd is real fast and good, particularly the 64-bit version

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

FamDav posted:

I don't think I've ever filled out one of these

because that's a form for security clearance, not a job application

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

FamDav posted:

security clearance has you fill out many more details than what they are describing

idk, i've never had to fill out every place i've ever lived or list high school jobs with contacts on an application, even when applying for a federal job where part of the application process included being fingerprinted for an fbi background check.

i've never applied for something that needed real clearance though and i probably never will since i'm a dual citizen and that's basically an automatic disqualifier.

The_Franz fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jun 1, 2017

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

ThePeavstenator posted:

A long-time buddy of mine does intelligence work involving computers in the Air Force and has a top secret clearance and AFAIK is still a dual Japanese and American citizen.

i thought japan didn't allow dual citizenship? an acquaintance in college who was born in the us to japanese nationals had to pick one or the other by the age of 22

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Cocoa Crispies posted:

with which countries? us & canada isn't a disqualifier at all

us and an eu country

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

cinci zoo sniper posted:

if it's not uk ur boned i think. if it's uk, there might be hope, but slim

i'm a dirty southern slav, so yeah

being able to freely live and work in the majority of the western world is more important to me than being able to work for a defense contractor and design things used to rain death on brown people

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Sapozhnik posted:

swizterland kind of makes a point of not being in the eu so that's not the best example. but yeah.

switzerland is in the schengen zone and has a pile of treaties which basically grants eu privileges to swiss citizens and vice-versa though. if you are an eu citizen you don't need a visa to move to and work in switzerland, just a residence permit after 90 days

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

cis autodrag posted:

now i have to practice using os x because the last apple product i used was an ipod classic in 2008

hide the dock, turn on multiple workspaces and learn to love spotlight

basically use it like gnome 3

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

qhat posted:

In the terrible programmers thread there is a perfect example of when you need to roll your own parser (when the input is garbage and there's nothing you can do about it). It's also really not that hard.

i've written parsers for xml, json and some other formats before and it's not hard, but i spent more than 3 hours on it to do it right and make sure everything worked

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

carry on then posted:

when i hear "parser" i imagine it must basically be a compiler and also be provably correct for all possible inputs. how do you put that together in 3 hours?

same

when i read "write a basic html parser" my brain turns it into "write something like rapidxml in under 3 hours"

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Captain Foo posted:

boston is easy to drive in, you just have to spot the safe-travelling-distance gaps and know someone will fill it immediately and without a blinker in ~.25 seconds

i was leaving somerville at about 5:50am a few years ago and was driving down mass ave with about a car length between me and the guy in front. we were the only 3 cars on the road, but the guy behind me drove into the parking lane and jumped the curb at a corner to get into that spot. i then watched several people treat a red light as a stop sign. even when there was traffic coming these people would just keep inching out into the intersection until the cross traffic started honking and had to swerve slightly to miss them.

don't even get me started on the suicidal cyclists who don't seem to think that the rules apply to them

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

banks and financial firms hire a lot of computer touchers

a lot of those might end up moving thanks to brexit since the whole reason why many of them are in the uk is to have a physical presence in europe and being able to access the entirety of the eu labor pool

The_Franz fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jul 25, 2017

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

remember that euro salaries are post-tax numbers, so if you see something like €4k a month that's your actual take home pay. unlike us salaries where the tax man takes his cut of that big number and your $100k salary only ends up being $50k-$60k in your pocket

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Maximum Leader posted:

this is not true anywhere in the eu

every salary i've seen in central and southern europe was listed as net pay

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Dislike button posted:

what kind of loser house is made out of wood? - computer janitor

he's not wrong though. mcmansions are some of the worst constructed homes ever

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

hobbesmaster posted:

if you're customer facing there are expectations depending on industry

when my aunt's brother got a job in the tech-side of a big wall street firm the employee handbook made it sound like he would have to buy a closet full of suits and dress super-sharp every day. when he actually started it turned out that the tech people were pretty casual (by wall street standards at least) and it was only the client-facing people who needed to dress-to-impress every day (because it's easier to bilk people out of money in a suit).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

eschaton posted:

these are homeless people not tech bros

unless tech bros are driving up the prices on street-parked RVs now too

reminder that google had (has?) an employee living in a box truck in the parking lot

• Locked thread