Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

qirex posted:

my last interview the manager gave me a whiteboard problem but apparently had a single right solution he wanted but didn't give any hints towards and he also didn't know enough about the subject to answer my basic "who's buying this?" or "how complex is the average system?" he just wanted some magic iot bullshit answer

lol

For me the worst part about interviewing is when you find a cool job, with cool people and they agree to your salary requirements, but then they hire someone else because they got low-balled through a recruiter. Fortunately that is normally only a problem with "big" companies where HR has metastasized into cost-savings center by deflating employee salary's.

Otherwise new job Interviewing is pretty interesting, though intense.

The Management posted:

I like coding on a whiteboard if it's a real coding question. the trick is to keep the question extremely simple so it doesn't get bogged down in the details of the code and focuses on the important aspects.

Most interviewers/people aren't smart enough to understand what they are trying to ask you to do in the first place, nor why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Only time I've been drugged tested was on hire both times in finance, not sure what's up with that. I've never had random drug-tests or anything.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

lancemantis posted:

I can be randomly drug tested and polygraphed

lol at polygraphs.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
During my phone interviews when they ask me a specific question that I don't know the answer to, I tell them I can google it real quick, but then explain to them what the significance of the answer is, and why I should care what it is.

For example, "what is the 4th comparison for the BGP path-selection algorithm?" It's a reasonable thing for me to be aware of, but I don't immediately know what the answer is, but in the REAL WORLD, if I were in a position that I needed to figure out why traffic was taking a specific path. I'd google "BGP Path-Selection" and then work my way down the list so that I could then intelligently decide how I want to influence that path.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Ciaphas posted:

why do govt jobs do them? i know 'lol govt' but i 'm genuinely curious if there's more than that

The value of the polygraph is as a psyops tool. The real test is the interviewer and he is testing your trust. They are also completely shut-down by the 5th amendment. You can also stop at anytime if it were trying to be used for evidence, additionally it could be argued as a form of coercion, and therefore worthless for a prosecutor. However the government (when administering a polygraph) isn't gathering information to arrest you, they are trying to decide i you are the type of person who will lie, and what types of things you will lie about.

For example, when getting interviewed for a security clearance, the background check can be extremely thorough up to and including Men in Black talking to old friends of yours from high-school, or that one High-School teacher that hated you. If your old friend says you used to smoke weed in high-school with him, and then during the polygraph they ask if you used to smoke weed in high-school and you lie even though there is literally no reason to lie, that is going to tell them something about you.

As far as the efficacy of the "lie-detector" portion of a polygraph, it's basically an e-meter, i.e. useless.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

Uhh lol govt goes a long way. I had a clearance but still couldn't get access to the production system for the program I lead for 18 months because lol govt. I quit before ever logging into production a single time. Felt good.

Never work for a job that requires clearance. Seriously.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Cat Face Joe posted:

bloody come to detroit

If I had a job offer in Detroit I'd totally do it, and buy a badass stately mansion and the place next door. I'd buy a warehouse and get a city-use noise permit and turn it into a badass venue that would be immune from the normal NIMBY "too-loud" bullshit.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Cat Face Joe posted:

there's a huge 3,300 sq ft one in the university district for $230,000

brb, moving now.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Smythe posted:

not sure dude no xp in that field. good luck tho

:lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

mishaq posted:

the cool & good thing about hft is it spurs a bunch of investment and r&d into telecom poo poo

i cracked the gently caress up when i first learned these psychos set up nyc-chicago microwave networks because they have lower latency than fiber

same. that said hft is merely a result of capitalism. kill the beast, and your concerns about hft, become the secret to full communism now.

• Locked thread