Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mod saas
May 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer

JawnV6 posted:

can dodge this with "tcomp", that way you're rolling in real/fake equity, health care, all the nebulous things

related to this, I found out how much one of our clients is paying for my headcount - my actual paycheck is 60% of it. this is normal for my company, which emphasizes "total compensation". any outside interviews get the tcomp amount, not the actual from my w2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mod saas
May 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Dislike button posted:

so im moving to florida now

welcome to hell brother

e: i actually do like it here. also florida thread

mod saas
May 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

why is it nonsensical for an entry level position to require a bachelor's in a relevant field

i work for $bigcompany and minimum education is directly tied to compensation ranges. this would happen because everyone on the team happened to have a 4 year degree and their boss went to bat to get them raises, and so the degree became a requirement to slide the range up several notches. unsurprisingly, this also gives the boss a raise.

mod saas
May 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mahatma Goonsay posted:

yeah it was comically bad. I wrote a bunch of if statements testing equally with = instead ==.

[ASK] Me about trying to write code in any reasonable language when most of my time is spent in Excel macros.

mod saas
May 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer
today i got to watch my boss and their boss poo poo their pants because i got an offer from another department in the company with a 10% raise and they don't know if they can counter (both are hourly and my company "generally doesn't" allow counter offers for hourly). direct boss knows they wouldn't be in this position if they'd promoted me and given me time to get up to speed instead of boss' boss insisting on going to an agency (which we've never done before) to get someone "with experience" - i put that in quotes because half the job is just learning how our company does things because we're unique and beautiful snowflakes

this schadenfreude is tempered by the fact i'm not certain I want other job. lots of pluses, lots of minuses, lots of conflicting advice from mentors/friends.

thanks for the void yospos

mod saas
May 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer

JewKiller 3000 posted:

here is my secret to project planning as a small team tech lead: never give or accept an estimate any lower than the time it would take for you to just do the entire thing yourself

profound business practice

mod saas
May 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer

ThePeavstenator posted:

depends on where you are, southeast Wisconsin and Chicago have a decently large hispanic minority population

truth

mod saas
May 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

objective: figgies, somehow ease the gnawing and all enveloping existential dread of life

skills: good at bossing computers around

reported for doxx

mod saas
May 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer

cis autodrag posted:

Epic pays cartoonish amounts of money for the cost of living in Wisconsin.

so if i have aging family near milwaukee and moving to wi in the next few years has to be considered as a possibility, is this something i should keep in mind or is it a hard pass for all peoples

mod saas
May 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer

DuckConference posted:

I grew up thinking anyone who ditched love for a career was an idiot, and here I am ready to head down that path.

would you marry her tonight? that's probably the same answer to the question "should you pass this up?"

mod saas
May 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer

cis autodrag posted:

i usually tell people thdt i touch the computer and then health-care happens

but only for 1 more day.

i've recently started reading the tp thread starting at 2017 and seeing all your posts knowing where you end up is so :3:

mod saas
May 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer

RISCy Business posted:

i'm the guy who puts "guru" after the one thing he's good at

:perfect:

mod saas
May 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer

MononcQc posted:

Carepost:

that really depends on what you do and how much accuracy you want. Some jobs work in obscure corners of industries some people don't even know exist, and some people don't know the difference between "the internet" and outlook.

I found it hard to explain what the hell was going on when I was working on real-time bidding optimization for retargeting campains. Ended up just saying "we run an auction system for the ads you hate on facebook and have to make it fast".

I found it near impossible to explain what my job at Heroku was. Like what the gently caress is a proxy, an HTTP server, or a log router anyway? How do you start to explain certificate management and SSL termination to someone who doesn't even know what a website is? I ended up giving up and saying I worked on hosting websites for other businesses, which was still confusing enough as a concept -- people who knew what a website was and had a brief idea of things thought I managed server racks. Saying just "I'm a programmer" would have carried near 0 information but would have left them with a more accurate picture of my job.

"i'm basically an air traffic controller for the internet. i make sure the websites don't hit each other on the way to your computer"

mod saas
May 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer
spent all day yesterday interviewing people for an entry level role on our team. my first time in that side of the table and it was cool as hell. hardest part is that I'd hire all of the top 4 but we only have one spot. fortunately my boss makes the final call.

mod saas
May 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer

The_Franz posted:

when my aunt's brother

soooo... your dad?

mod saas
May 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer

minato posted:

congratulations, you may have to carry around a picture of Donald Trump in your wallet for the next 5 years.

I reaaallllly thought this was going to end with "for if the secret police ever question your allegiances"

mod saas
May 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer

ThePeavstenator posted:

Let us pray:

"The figgies be with you."

*And also with you*

yeah but sometime in the last ten years only your spirit is allowed to receive figgies this way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mod saas
May 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Turnquiet posted:

corporate talent acquisition is some bullshit

have you tried...

being talented? :grin:

• Locked thread