Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

ratbert90 posted:

I got a call on my office phone yesterday from a recruiter. I told them if they were dumb enough to call me on my office phone while I am at work, they were too dumb for me to want to work with.

How stupid do you have to be to try and pull poo poo like that?
That was a p dumb response seeing as programmers don't work with the recruiters who find them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
fyi gmail now blocks javascript in attachments (including inside archives) so good luck turning in your coding exercise i guess

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
have you ever gotten so exasperated with an employer that you told them "good luck in your search"? I think that would be fun to do, once.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

mishaq posted:

lol if a full day at the office drains you
Why do you think he was job hunting

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Bloody posted:

if you're unwilling to just hire an obviously smart person for the job and give them a shot at picking it up you are not actually that desperate

THIS IS WHAT IVE BEEN SAYING

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

my goth gf posted:

devops is where development and operations work collaboratively but in my experience it's less collaboration and more devs making a dumb request, ops saying no, devs crying to the project manager, and then getting their way
properly speaking, it's hiring someone to fill the gap between "works on my machine" devs and "i am not good with computers" ops but in practice only huge companies will shell out the money for that

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
amazon: not a huge company

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
again, properly, it's devs who can take up the responsibility of specing out a deployment to the ops technicians when the product devs are too autistic/arrogant to do so

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
I'll be sure to bring up this story next time a Canuck brags about the superiority of centralized tax collection

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Dislike button posted:

those would likely be nontaxable fringe benefits in the USA but lol yeah the company definitely hosed up if thats not how it works in Canada
The rules are complex http://www.journalofaccountancy.com/issues/2015/jul/exclude-employer-provided-meals-and-lodging.html

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Janitor Prime posted:

I'm actually indignified that even though you trust your taxes are being withheld by the company you're still held responsible for their fuckups. I mean it ultimately boils down to "the indignity of paying taxes" like you said, but there's no reason it needs to be this stupid and having the government go after that money from the individuals when it should have been the company's responsibility and obligation to collect.
understanding or seeking advice on tax laws is a duty of the citizen

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Aug 27, 2017

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
tip: if you get any contact from JobSpring Partners, Work Bridge, or Seven Step, do not touch. these are all DBAs of the same recruiting organization that, when the dot-com boom busted, turned into a kind of pirate organization that contacts people more often to pump them for job market intel than to fill positions

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Bhodi posted:

piss tests are demeaning but i'll debase myself a little for six and a half figgies, esp when a bunch of other nerds won't even look at the job because of it, that's more figgies for me
whats so demeaning about it, most people piss every day and those who don't should see a doctor. what does it matter if it gets tested

god help you and your tender sensibilities if you ever have a procedure that requires you to wear a foley catheter for any amount of time

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
some things I do when working with third party recruiters (oh you think you're too good for recruiters? how cute):

- They want years of experience with a tech. I have been in jobs where I sometimes worked with the tech but not continuously and too long ago to recall the timeline in detail. Every year I worked with it counts as a full year. Continuous use for any substantial part year is also a full year.
- They want years of experience with "A and B and C". I pick the one I have the most experience with and report that as the experience for the whole bunch. For "C/C++" I report basically my entire software career which has had me mostly developing in one or the other
- They want a self-rating with a tech. Can I use it in a project without struggling? Rate 10. Have I used it in a project at all? Rate 5. Pick a point between those as needed.

These are not tips, these are what I do to get my resume in front of the hiring manager rather than being shut out by an idiot headhunter who can't spell C.

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Sep 12, 2017

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
the recruiter's goal is to screen people. your goal is to not be screened. Don't lie to a recruiter, but do exaggerate all to gently caress because the recruiter isn't the one who makes the decision you care about

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

InfrastructureWeek posted:

Everyone is too good for recruiters hth dipshit
dsyp

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
My team at Amazon had an intern once and she was put on a project to develop some kind of internal web thingy and we actually needed (no freeloaders at Amazon). She demonstrated it and it looked OK but nobody thought to have her check in the code or otherwise hand it off. When this came up in status meeting I suggested getting the code from ReviewBoard but I don't know if anyone ever actually did because I had my own poo poo to shovel. that's my intern story

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
sorry, we will only consider candidates whose entire technical exposure reflects our company's priorities, not the priorities of the companies they previously or currently worked for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
*prefers to develop in Spring, but has no on-job Spring experience to show, so takes a job developing in Bespoke Frankenframework to pay the bills*

years later ...

*prefers to develop in Spring, ...*

• Locked thread