Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Rex-Goliath posted:

- when was the last time you took pto / how much did you take / what did you do

translation: without fail lovely interviewers for lovely companies will try to deflect this one. if they try to say 'oh no don't worry about that' or respond with their actual pto policy just reiterate that they didn't answer your question. when was the last time YOU took pto

also be on the lookout for "they made me take some"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Rex-Goliath posted:

small enough so that you don't disappear into corporate ennui but big enough that they actually make money and the life of the company won't be in your hands on a daily basis
after two consecutive jobs with C-levels in my face, im really liking disappearing into the corporate ennui fwiw

what's the body count on a midlevel, ~150?

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Agile Vector posted:

be a developer lol
"how many people work at microsoft"
billg: about 50%

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

to this day i have no idea why, but i hesitate to make up a number when asked my current salary.
can dodge this with "tcomp", that way you're rolling in real/fake equity, health care, all the nebulous things

like idc how you get to the half million, we can work out the details if it's a good fit on both sides

and a background check had my previous salaries to the penny, certainly didn't get it from me

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

leper khan posted:

shipped key features within my first week

my first product launch was 2 years and 3 months from my start date

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

leper khan posted:

jfc if I wasn't working on anything for a year I'd probably just quit. probably wouldn't even make it that long on only garbage assignments.

the way you phrase "not working on anything" it's like you can't imagine a system so large it would require more than a few days of study, or a product timeline longer than a month

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

qntm posted:

it should not be necessary to grok the full architecture and design of a big system before productively committing code

we're talking about net productivity and shipping. sure you can submit a small bug fix, but you're still leaning on the team around you for parts of the system you haven't internalized. sure you can push code to a repo, the fact that it won't ship until months later is more about the kind of work that any org disfunction or personal failure

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

thanks thread, I knew I posted for a reason
idk how much of this you've disclosed to your boss so far, but yeah the first convo about leaving will sting

but there's no reason to burn the bridge, no reason you can't remain friends and committed to helping each other through the industry. my first manager left the company 6 months after I joined. 3 years later I was working for him again. since you're staying local and if your relationship allows, seriously try to keep up contact and use him as a mentor

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
i had a coworker at intel whose wife stayed back in texas to finish up her PHR certification for a year or so, he rented while looking for a place to buy when she was able to move out. i still own my place up in sac, renting it out while living in SF

like yeah it sucks picking up everything and moving away from friends, institutions. but like.. have the conversation?

also dump trucks full o' cash don't make up for friends and family being hours/states/timezones away, you're dooming you and your wife to rebuilding social lives in Trump's america

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
what to heck is a "top 10 executive"? from my linked spam:

quote:

I hope you're well. I just got off the phone with the COO from my top client, one of the fastest growing companies in the consumer tech space, as he looks to make a key hire in his FW team. He recently joined and was previously a top-10 executive at Microsoft. The company is very well backed, have already brought multiple products to market and just launched the first generation of their flagship product which has received a massive amount of great press. Their valuation will also be jumping 4x from $250M to $1B within the next 6-8 months.
im 50/50 this is the bitcoin or weed related

The Management posted:

thanks for all of the gooney advice. there are a lot of details that I didn't mention that factor into this. I would rather stay married than have the money, that's an easy decision for me. I'm just trying to work out if there's any way to make both happen that doesn't kill me with travel. it's unlikely. oh well, some figgies can't be got.
when I moved to SF my (now wife) stayed up in sacramento. i went back every weekend and even that was rough, only a 2 hour drive each way, only for a couple months. that was just a liiiittle too much to suck it up and commute each day, and it still sucked.

im assuming you would've had flights involved?

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

The Management posted:

we'll see how they like that (they won't).

maybe they like u more ;-*

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

minivanmegafun posted:

is there some tech presence there because this, too, is how I learned of King of Prussia

one of the big pick n' place manufactures is out there too

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Sapozhnik posted:

being a small cog in a large machine is starting to sound real good lately

yeah i played startup for 3 years and being a fungible cog is such a luxury

e: have i mentioned the 67% raise? thats v. nice too

JawnV6 fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Feb 22, 2017

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Munkeymon posted:

even for a router wrangler?

golden handcuffs isn't "decent flow now" it's "gently caress you money windfall in 3 years, 9 months, and 2 weeks and not an hour longer"

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

The Management posted:

I'm not sure I would call it gently caress you money but definitely something you can't walk away from. for a while there when I was working for a rocket ride stock my bonus RSUs were worth more than my base pay by the time they vested. it's hard to look at a guaranteed multiple of your base that all you have to do is sit around and collect and think about leaving.

hm, ive mostly heard it in the context of acquisitions where it's definitely a huge lump sum waiting at the end

but yeah recruiters have complained about amazon folks currently pulling down $300k+ and expecting that to be matched by salary right out the gate at a new place

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

triple sulk posted:

i can't figure out if espps are particularly worth it. unless you can drop very large amounts in i feel like it's better to just max out your 401k and save?

why not both

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

ShadowHawk posted:

Similarly, avoid stock purchase plans unless they give you a pretty significant discount, and again sell them as soon as you're allowed.
the gently caress is all this

is 15% good enough?

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

zen death robot posted:

I aced my fist and only interview after being unemployed for a month and a half on full severance and got hired at a significant raise from my old job. having a niche set of skills owns sometimes
cool

what forums do u control now

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

lancemantis posted:

the clever way is to also do it in place in an array and use an xor swap :smug:

yeah i like leaving myself a good chance to zero out the middle element

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

PierreTheMime posted:

apparently it's hiring season, another offer for Boston albeit slightly less but for a more interesting topic. opinions on New England vs west coast California? i would kind of like to have seasons again

california has a season now

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

hobbesmaster posted:

grrm would call them seasons I guess

way back in the early 2000's there was a rainy month we called "winter," seems like that one's back?

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
always fun to watch Christmas vacation and realize he's expecting a sizable xmas cash bonus, relatable content right there

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
the best raise deferral bs is "we expect you to be executing _at_ the new level before the title/pay is awarded"

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

what's a sabbatical exactly and how is it different from a vacation? is it defined in your contract?
at intel, it was 8 weeks paid block after every 7 years. on top of your vacation for the year.

i knew one architect who learned how to drive a 18 wheeler and did a long-haul run

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

The Management posted:

how about better employees that are getting things done and contributing materially get a bigger bonus than their bad colleagues that are actively lighting fires?

idk when you get 6~7 deep from the CEO, your own work contribution can get inflated or wholly wiped out by terrible decisions at the director level

like how do you equitably give out bonuses to the guy working hard whose SVP hosed up reading the market and the division isn't profitable vs. the slacker under a SVP who lucked out and was sitting on a goldmine?

ime big companies do formulas, intel had 2 bonus types that kicked out maybe 30 days total per year?

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

The Management posted:

ideally your boss fights for you if you busted your rear end (lol). but there will be a smaller bonus pool because your vp is dumb so you should gtfo of that department.
you're expecting every frontline manager to fight for every IC's promotion, AND summer bonus, AND winter bonus, like pretty soon we're stack ranking for 50% of management's time every year and everyone's pissed they only got a silver star

so as stockholm as it sounds, some global formula that takes in ((division results ) / (division objectives)) * (company health) = X days salary skips all those meetings, pays out to everyone within 50% or so, seems to make a lot more sense

intel amended the bonus formula once. it relied on GAAP. guess when

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

lol if you think the management can tell the difference

this too. how much of your time do you currently spend sabotaging your peers bonus competitors

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

The Management posted:

zero. if you work at a place where people do this, get out

i don't, i'm somehow able to imagine circumstances outside my precise employment at this exact moment, thanks

"frontline manager directly portions out bonuses" seems like a good recipe for backstabbin

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

hello jamestopher

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
hi pls don't copy/paste from gray tyvm

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

rotor posted:

yeah they always have plenty of room for stanford grads and weird autists who are good at making everything a sorting problem
you'd think

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
improvement required / 8%

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
mine was a joke? who sticks around long enough for an IR

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
"In terms of process, what's going to happen to my application from here? Will you get back to me, will HR"

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
no, you hang up first
no, you hang up first

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
Как пропатчить KDE2 под FreeBSD?

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
i always thought the solid EE fallback was doing contract layout work for $80/hr

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
also "evangelist" has been a title for decades, it's not some new thing. oracle fired all the java evangelists 2 years ago, was a big story back then

Bloody posted:

that would actually own as a side gig, layout is soothing
im still steamed about the poo poo layout of a board at my last startup, grounding for a 32k crystal was a wire under the crystal

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
not an EE, just play one on the forums

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
most places are paying EE's significantly more than $80/hr and would rather farm out the grunt work and have them spend an hour checking while doing more schematic work tho

• Locked thread