Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

here is my experience of interviewing with citi

walk through room of >100 ppl silently typing away, literally no-one is talking at all
walks through another identical and also silent room
walks through a third identical and yet again silent room
finally make it to the interview room
"are you familiar with fizzbuzz"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Jonny 290 posted:

i quit because i was stable and bored and hadnt done poo poo in a year or two. it so far is proving out to be a wise decision

:yossame:

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

weirdly it came after an hour long phone screener, I guess they were checking I wasn't using a cheat sheet

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

triple sulk posted:

working on lovely legacy apps with unintelligible code
this is all jobs though?????

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

design/architecture questions are good on whiteboard, because that's a valid medium for solving design problems irl

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

just have a separate laptop open for cheating, duh

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Gazpacho posted:

GL pulling that off on camera
"I don't have a webcam sorry"

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

my technical interview for new job was one question: here is a design brief, let's spend an hour talking about how you would design the components and put them together

it was good

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Bloody posted:

did you then also build a prototype
no they were way more interested in how i thought and communicated my thoughts than in how I would sit and write code

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

JewKiller 3000 posted:

which private address space is better for what? what the gently caress does that question even mean
this is the correct answer especially if youre putting your coat on as you say it

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

the job im moving to in the new year involves working on hft software

gonna stack that paper and try my best to sleep at night

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

St Evan Echoes posted:

i live in europe so it's more like staying behind until 11pm because the nyse opened and everything went to hell

Nyse!

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

god drat that is a good post

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Bloody posted:

so I may have accidentally emailed my boss/boss's boss/HR my signed offer letter instead of my signed notice of termination today
this owns so hard haha

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

and this is how you realise how little anyone cares about you, cog #69420

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

a 10x is one that everyone else spends 90% of their time cleaning up after

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

also new jobs are inherently less boring than old jobs
yeah

every job has some good bits and lots of bad bits, the longer you stay the more you take the good bits for granted and let the bad bits get on your nerves

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

just started newjob yesterday, how typical is it that you dont do poo poo for the first while?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Xarn posted:

Pre offer. Also its in the EU.

Like completely nothing, or "getting PC, accounts, etc" nothing? The first hasn't happened to me, the second is pretty standard for couple of days.

I've installed a bunch of software and got my JIRA and confluence setup and that's about it

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

this is kind of a weird situation because its a well established company but its a brand new office, they took back all their outsourced products and created this office to take ownership of them

so like, everyone's been here less than 6 months. most have been here less than 2 months. maybe there's genuinely not much to do while the products are handed over from third parties, idk

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Bloody posted:

like if you're that hard on for some whiteboarding action take the biggest project on their resume and ask them to block diagram it and explain it to you, as this is a thing that whiteboards are suitable for
this was my interview for current job

first interview was exactly what you said, second interview they gave me a 2 page design doc and told me to sketch out the major components and discuss where the problems would be etc

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

please reverse our hiring process using only bitwise operations

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

The Management posted:

argh, I loving hate LinkedIn. what a piece of poo poo site and app
also how precarious it is to creep on ppl

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

it sounds obvious that you want to do option 3 but you're comfortable enough to make the Bad Decision of staying put

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

bloody already put it in the op

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

thloody

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

reminder that oracle doesn't have a built in way to get the top x rows of a query because gently caress you that's why

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Rex-Goliath posted:

WHERE ROWNUM < X

???
doesnt have the effect you think it would

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Luigi Thirty posted:

I have an onsite interview with that place that I did the phone interview for :toot:
luigi nail the interview

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Tatsujin posted:

I usually just make something up by picking something that did happen but embellishing the gently caress out of it because I know what they're looking for me to say
just pick a thing some dipshit did to break and and take credit for whatever the smart person did to fix it

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Gazpacho posted:

working is not worth any amount

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

thanks to my bose qc35s idgaf whether i work in a cube or open plan hell or w/e

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

very carefully, op

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

a gigantic cash bonus that comes every year if you work in the right industry, or an annual disappointment in cash form if you work in the wrong one
i just joined a firm that brokers commodities and other esoteric instruments and by god i can't wait for that sweet 40%+ bonus

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

"We need you to be more available in the evenings."
"That's after work ends. If it's related to a project that demands after hours support, we can arrange things in advance so that I'm aware."
"We just need you to be more flexible, WOTBK."
"Sorry, I like being with my family."

*business promotes some idiot that is my junior above me because he has no willingness to say no to anything management wants*

Salaried positions should be criminalized.
my boss starts playfully berating people if they're still in the office when he leaves at 5.45, it loving owns

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

a good ba can make most dev work trivial but lol if you think your lovely company is getting good ones

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

i'd take a mediocre coder with good communication over a good coder with mediocre communication

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

i walk to work :smugbert:

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

i have a Xeon laptop, it has a 1 hour battery life and weighs like 8lbs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Mahatma Goonsay posted:

so is glassdoor still the go to place for job stuff? I really need a new job. the good news is that react and js are raelly hot right now. the bad news is that my only marketable skills are react and js. maybe i should include farting around with haskell.
stackoverflow jobs is quite good if you're in a big market

• Locked thread