Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
i applied for a place where the interview process was "we pay you to come here and work on site with us for three days"

weird as poo poo but i had the time and my friend worked there so i figured hey, free plane trip back home anyway (where the job was), i'll give it a shot. and it was actually a fun three days and i got some real work done and the tech lead guy loved me, in the sense that he told me they'd be making me an offer, and this is the kind of guy who's word is god in an organization

afterwards, they asked for me to write them up some paragraphs about my time there, ostensibly only to help them understand the candidate experience. it was an obvious trap, so i bugged my friend for examples of previous writeups that got people hired and tried to do my best with it. what i didn't realize was how much of a trap it was: the thing gets disseminated to the whole organization (~100 people), and any of them can use it to blackball you if they don't like it, even if you're not on any teams you'll be working on or with, or even at the site you'll be at. which is what happened to me.

so i dodged a huge bullet but goddamn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

lol that sounds pretty softball, what horrible poo poo did you end up writing??

apparently I was insufficiently cheerleady in my assessment. I'm not really sure though, because they didn't give specific feedback beyond "your communication skills are not what we're looking for."

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

The Management posted:

I was just told that a company does initial interviews over hangouts. how does that work? I don't use hangouts

my friend interviewed at google and one of her sessions was via hangouts but it was glitching and they had a hell of a time getting it to work right. his final question was "so if you were to work here, what kind of stuff would you want to do?" and she said "well, i'd probably try to fix hangouts."

he didn't like that answer and they didn't make her an offer.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Bloody posted:

also who wants to hire me to do poo poo in boston/new York/dc I'm good at touching computers thanks in advance this job search poo poo's gettin me worn out

i was super happy with the nyc recruiter who eventually got me an offer, pm me if you want me to refer you to them

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
I felt like I got good mileage out of asking interviewers what time they arrived that morning and what time they planned to leave

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

lancemantis posted:

yeah its pretty much always this even if the popular opinion or even the one expressed by the interviewers is "just talk a lot about how your trying to solve the problem, thats almost more important than really solving it"

i've become convinced that "it's ok if you don't end up solving the problem fully as long as you explain your thinking" is a bunch of bullshit after getting rejected from every company whose technical i didn't ace. it felt like tips on getting partial credit for a test in which only perfection passes.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Xarn posted:

Is anyone ever under impressions that this is not the case? :v:

i always assumed the question was to gauge your ability to bullshit. honesty is not always the best policy.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
first day of $newjob was today, the search was awful but i made it out the other side with a decent-seeming job and you can too!

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

da beeper king BABY posted:

I wouldn't have a couple months ago but every day I get closer to graduating college without a job and having to move back in with my parents. A fate worse than death.

yeah it took me a bit to realize that 90% of job hunting advice is calibrated for people who are not staring down imminent unemployment

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
don't ever let anyone make you feel bad for not having as much money as you "could" if you're happy and feel confident in your future :angel:

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Sapozhnik posted:

lol if you don't just sit down w/ the candidate and ask them to talk about their previous work because you're not confident enough to spot a bullshitter from a mile off

grey thread consensus is that all questions about past work are useless because candidates can just lie

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
apparently some of my coworkers rejected a prospective hire's code test because it used static classes

having been here only a month, i was too terrified to ask how i made it through, considering that i used static classes as well

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

cis autodrag posted:

just blanket like that? just straight up "static classes are bad, we pass"? ugh.

it was unclear how much the static classes were an example of greater problems and how much they were considered a problem themselves

for some context: the question is "here is a thing to do, write a class that implements it." the provided algorithm is stateless, so i (and maybe this other person, idk) decided to just make the class static. the reason this is "wrong" is that it's not di-able in the archetypal way. i hope that wasn't the entire reason they rejected it.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
boston, ma is the worst place in the entire world

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

ratbert90 posted:

I wake up at 430 and go to the gym before work, then I eat breakfast when I get to work.

I work a straight 8 and eat lunch once I get home at 2:15.

I then do contract work for 3 - 4 hours and stop for the day.

Bedtime is at 9, so it works out really well. Been doing it for over a year now. :unsmith:

twelve hour workday, living the dream

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
was the actual salary of the progenitor of "six and a half figgies" ever determined

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

PapaLazarou posted:

In their supplemental application they want 7 years of rental history. Why would they ever want that?

sounds like a background check. did you authorize one?

($newjob wanted ten years from me but it was after they'd already made an offer and I was desperate so I did it. job is great.)

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

PierreTheMime posted:

:agreed: everything else so far looks good but sub-10^5.2 is gonna be a deal killer

do you have kids or want to buy property or something

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
a recruiter who went by only "batman" cold-emailed me with some bullshit, so I made fun of his name and then ignored his response. a couple of weeks later he emailed again with new opportunities with a couple of new blockchain clients he had. who makes these people.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Iverron posted:

this has been life, off and on, for 3 months now

the step after 3 interviews is radio silence followed by maybe a rejection email 3 weeks later when I've forgotten who they were

is this the month and/or quarter turning over

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Sapozhnik posted:

we can fix the 99% being dirt poor if we just suck the 1%'s cocks more vigorously

you are aware that this plus racism is the guiding philosophy of the party that controls all three branches of government now and for the foreseeable future right

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

leper khan posted:

this is why I'm considering trying for fintech jobs

anyone know what the hours are usually like? I've worked in games, so if it's not much worse than that it should be fine.

I'm at a hedge fund where we're like 9:30-5:45. 9:30 matters (standup) but as long as you're not rolling out at 4:30 every day nobody really cares about the backend. also as much wfh as you want basically as long as you're getting your work done

the other hedge fund I interviewed at was 8:30-6:30 and gently caress that

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
jfc recruiters can be thirsty. "Batman" has sent a fourth consecutive linkedin message without a response from me.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

FrozenVent posted:

reminder to everyone to max out their 401k match

like why the gently caress is this even an option, "how much do you want to contribute? we'll match up to 4%!"

if I was king poo poo of the corporation I'd order hr to fire anyone stupid enough to contribute less than the maximum match because I don't want idiots working for me

i didn't max out my match my first job out of college because i was, in fact, an idiot. "hurr durr need to pay off my student loans before i start saving for retirement"

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
my current job is a chill place to work where we can wear jeans and come and go whenever as long as we're getting our work done but none of that was in any pitches or job descriptions, it was up to me to figure it out during the interview. the pitch was "here is the company it does x with y tech, everyone we've placed in this group really likes the manager." in retrospect it makes perfect sense - "we treat you like an adult" is not something you should ever have to advertise to actual adults

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
the glassdoor median salary in NYC seems low to me, which part of my expectations is wrong

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

cinci zoo sniper posted:

dang, got hit up by a recruiter out of the blue and they've already arranged a call for this week? sticking with new bad linkedin design is paying off if this goes anywhere

it probably won't, I went through four lovely cold-calling recruiters before I found one that actually got me a job

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

cinci zoo sniper posted:

not sure what you mean by cold calling but time will tell, i guess

I mean this

cinci zoo sniper posted:

got hit up by a recruiter out of the blue

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
all flights longer than like two hours feel the same to me. longest I've done recently was 11 hours, past a certain point it just becomes A Long Time

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
it's (ostensibly) to make sure you didn't get someone else to take the test for you

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
when google rejected me the recruiter also made a big effort to sound all sorry

I get the sentiment but honestly I want your figgies, not your sympathy

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
congrats probably-getting-ripped-off-by-our-first-real-job buddy

you are not alone

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
i stumbled a lil' in an interview once when i got asked the big-o complexity of an algorithm and i said "constant" and he said "so the big-o is..." and i repeated "constant" because i just pronounce O(1) "constant" (and O(n) "linear" and O(n^2) "quadratic" etc.) and i didn't realize that he literally wanted me to say "one" to show i knew what he was talking about

wrt "knowing big-o" i don't think anyone's claiming that you need to be able to write both bound proofs for a big-theta analysis on demand, you just gotta be comfortable with the common vocabulary for describing complexity

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Blinkz0rz posted:

i've worked with hundreds of engineers in my career and never had trouble expressing the runtime complexity of an algorithm without using big o. i don't disagree that it's useful but there's a lot of "i learned it and therefore you should too" going on here with very little regard for the concepts we're actually taking about.

what is unclear is why you're so resistant to learning eight words of common vocabulary for these concepts you're apparently already comfortable with

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Blinkz0rz posted:

i'm not. i'm not arguing against knowing it to pass interviews. i'm suggesting that there's no indication that knowing or not knowing big o has any effect on the quality of a candidate. the vocabulary is trivia.

I am legit curious about how any of your hundreds of complexity discussions has progressed concisely without big-O vocabulary. like, how would you compare the performance of radix sort to bubble sort? I am not trying to be snarky I really want to know. (I think that it's a lovely interview question because it presupposes knowledge of the algorithms.)

ThePeavstenator posted:

I don't think anyone is saying that you need to have encyclopedic knowledge of data structures or algorithms, if you stopped me on the street and asked me what the big O of radix sort was I wouldn't be able to tell you off the top of my head. But i definitely could look at pseudocode and tell you what it is.

radix sort specifically is good to have in your back pocket because it's linear in the number of comparisons

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Symbolic Butt posted:

one thing that I always found weird about programmer career culture:

is that there isn't an urgency for maintaining a "code portfolio". in my mind it makes sense to me in a "sofware development is a craft" way

like sure we judge people's githubs but 99% of candidates have an empty github account wtf

Bloody posted:

my employer pays for and owns basically every interesting piece of software i have developed

ding ding ding

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
we keep getting candidates come in with four-page resumes jammed full of technologies and buzzwords (both an overall section, and an explicit section for each individual job listed) and we never read any of them. it's endemic and so stupid, nobody reads that poo poo. "ah yes I see you used .net 4.5 at your most recent job and .net 4 at the one before that and .net 3.5 at the one before that and .net 3.0 at the one before that, these are all very important for the work we do here."

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Shaman Linavi posted:

thanks for nothing ResumeToInterviews

i have heard nothing good about resumetointerviews

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
we just rejected a team lead candidate for not only not being able to implement naive recursive fibonacci but for arguing that the four-line solution we ended up giving him wasn't correct because "but you have to calculate all the previous values first," aka the thing that every freshman says the first time they see recursion. (he wasn't arguing about performance, but about correctness.)

as a frequent supporter of the "tech screens rarely, if ever, test skills that will be actually used on the job" line i am very conflicted about this. obviously no we don't use the actual fibonacci sequence ever, and i believe i have used a recursive method in production code like once every two years. but you've got 20 years of experience on your resume and seem to never have even encountered recursion, like, as a concept? what does that mean?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Shaman Linavi posted:

i did an online coding test today in python and thats also the language i use for whiteboarding
not having to worry about curly braces or types is cool and good when trying to fizzbutt

types are your friends not your enemies

• Locked thread