Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buttchugging adderall
May 7, 2007

COME GET SOME
At my job we are rewriting a legacy coldfusion MVC app into a REST API based in python. It's a nightmare but I'm learning a ton and it pays well so I can't argue.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

ratbert90 posted:

this.
this.
this.
this.
this.
this.
this.
this.
this.
this.
this.
this.
this.
this.
this.
this.

itym "self."

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

redleader posted:

itym "self."

Oh yeah. Was a long day yesterday. :smith:

self is bullshit and shouldn't be needed.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

ratbert90 posted:

self.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

ratbert90 posted:

i was 50/50 on you being really enthusiastic about python's superiority over perl vs you mocking python's explicit instance variable thing

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

redleader posted:

i was 50/50 on you being really enthusiastic about python's superiority over perl vs you mocking python's explicit instance variable thing

Nah, just being horribly dumb like I normally am. :smith:

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

mssql has a sample db called 'wideworldimporters'. for months and months i've been reading it as 'worldwideimporters'. i only just realized that my eyes have been deceiving me, and needed to take a couple of minutes once i figured out that i can't in fact read

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

ratbert90 posted:

Nah, just being horribly dumb like I normally am. :smith:

no, my friend, it is explicit self that is dumb

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

redleader posted:

no, my friend, it is explicit self that is dumb

Very nice!

'ST
Jul 24, 2003

"The world has nothing to fear from military ambition in our Government."
NPR is actively hiring several devs and sysadmins in Washington, DC if you're OK with the possibility of using PHP and doing web dev. https://n.pr/tech-jobs

PM me if you have questions.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Sapozhnik posted:

this is the correct answer

(i use OE because it seems a bit more flexible than BR and a lot of things that used to use BR seem to have moved onto it. OE is a bit of a mess but it gets the job done. Hopefully it will be a bit less of a mess once based Poettering bathes the Linux world's inconsistent legacy crap in cleansing fire, but that is a process that will take many years)

Going back to this:

BR isn't as flexible that's for sure, but at least it isn't a complete mess and doesn't do layers for good reason.

I had to write a custom python wrapper that handles a lot of smaller tasks during the build process, as I have three filing systems to manage. It also uses standard make/kconfig files. This is a good thing.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
i like explicit this/self and i add it even if it's not needed

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Classical Muzak posted:

At my job we are rewriting a legacy coldfusion MVC app into a REST API based in python. It's a nightmare but I'm learning a ton and it pays well so I can't argue.

why would you move from one legacy language to another instead of moving to asp.net?

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

'ST posted:

NPR is actively hiring several devs and sysadmins in Washington, DC if you're OK with the possibility of using PHP and doing web dev. https://n.pr/tech-jobs

PM me if you have questions.
this is neat, and I'd be interested but I'm too senior for that devops role :smith:

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Bhodi posted:

this is neat, and I'd be interested but I'm too senior for that devops role :smith:

same, also glusterfs and rackspace cloud? :barf:

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
rackspace had a really popular spike maybe 5 years ago, fortunately I know from some adjacent reading it's all easily transferable to something better

glusterfs is what it is (DIY when you're too lazy or cheap to have a real SAN or when the boss says you need to bolt on some redundancy by next week)

e: otoh maybe I'd get to meet kojo nnamdi :love:

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Jun 29, 2017

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
Recruiters are texting me now.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

huhu posted:

Recruiters are texting me now.

send them other peoples dickpix

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

PokeJoe posted:

python is p dece

python is cool & good, we have several threads about this

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

i did an online coding test today in python and thats also the language i use for whiteboarding
not having to worry about curly braces or types is cool and good when trying to fizzbutt

double ohm seven
Jul 14, 2016
does anyone in the eu get tons of LinkedIn traffic from British recruiters? they're all <25, based in sussex and have really bad profile pictures. like, night on the town, drunk with a puking friend in the background.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

double ohm seven posted:

like, night on the town, drunk with a puking friend in the background.

give them my number to txt me :wink:

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Shaman Linavi posted:

i did an online coding test today in python and thats also the language i use for whiteboarding
not having to worry about curly braces or types is cool and good when trying to fizzbutt

types are your friends not your enemies

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

put in notice, feels bad man

will feel real good in about an hour though :shrug:

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

grats

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

it will feel great once you realize you don't need to give a poo poo anymore

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

The Management posted:

it will feel great once you realize you don't need to give a poo poo anymore

nah i already realized that like a month ago

i really like my actual job and coworkers, but practically i spend all my time with our horrible abysmal customers (and their customers, who are even worse)

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
My brother and friend want to team up and start an LLC for engineering services and consulting.

I'm quite tempted.

Edit*
Obviously I am still looking for another job in the meantime.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
https://twitter.com/SIGKILL/status/880248915211075588

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

double ohm seven posted:

does anyone in the eu get tons of LinkedIn traffic from British recruiters? they're all <25, based in sussex and have really bad profile pictures. like, night on the town, drunk with a puking friend in the background.

yes except they all seem to be from essex and their business address is a house. they also don't/can't read.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Thanks Ants posted:

Yes except they all seem to be from Essex and their business address is a house. They don't seem to be able to read.

Seems a lot more professional than US recruiters.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

a colleague of mine was being hassled by a recruiter who thought that lining up a phone interview for a sideways move into another msp with the same pay was somehow a big favour, and talked about how this msp definitely trains their staff rather than running everything on fumes to extract as much profit as possible.

external recruiters are the loving worst.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Leaving jobs owns

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

qhat posted:

Leaving jobs owns

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

qhat posted:

Leaving jobs owns

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Btw speaking as someone who is from Essex and London, the IT recruitment sector is unbelievably saturated there and they're all under 25 because they haven't yet realised it's a dead end. A lot of them do it though just to say they work in the city as a sign of prestige lol.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I know a "tech recruiter" in sf who makes more money driving lyft than recruiting

are "essex girls" still a thing?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

qirex posted:

i think they are called cam girls now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

qirex posted:

I know a "tech recruiter" in sf who makes more money driving lyft than recruiting

Yes.

• Locked thread