Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aquarium of Lies
Feb 5, 2005

sad cutie
:justtrans:

she/her
Taco Defender
I got a verbal job offer today :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aquarium of Lies
Feb 5, 2005

sad cutie

she/her
Taco Defender
an old coworker recently joined the alexa team and seems to like it. from what I hear it depends a lot on what division you're in so there's a lot of variance of experiences

Aquarium of Lies
Feb 5, 2005

sad cutie

she/her
Taco Defender

BONGHITZ posted:

just wing it

Aquarium of Lies
Feb 5, 2005

sad cutie

she/her
Taco Defender
the bar is so low to be a good pm that as long as you can bullshit management and get along with tech people you're probably better than 70% of pms. I guess the problem there though is getting your foot in the door. the pms I worked with at my last company were all initially techy people in the company (one was qa, one was data science)

Aquarium of Lies
Feb 5, 2005

sad cutie

she/her
Taco Defender

fart simpson posted:

i became a product manager by doing qa and becoming friends with some of the pms and used that to switch departments. i went to music school. try getting a music degree, op.

agreed, music is cool + good

Aquarium of Lies
Feb 5, 2005

sad cutie

she/her
Taco Defender

St Evan Echoes posted:

just started newjob yesterday, how typical is it that you dont do poo poo for the first while?

my last job I was expected to start writing code in the first/second week (but nothing critical - my first project was to analyze log files for performance measurements to guide future development)

my current job I started last week, it's a late stage startup where they want to move from a startup development culture to a more mature one (I was hired as a manager to help with this but also do dev work). so on day one I was expected to start writing code, by day three they were asking me how I wanted to do iteration planning (they had a terrible scrum process that wasn't working). I find it depends a lot on the field, the company/culture, and your skill level. I like diving in right away and learning by breaking everything

Shaman Linavi posted:

not sure if i still have the fed job i was hired for and i guess neither does the agency??
:rip: me time to go work on the farm i guess

terrible time to start (or even have) a fed job :( I was thinking about going in that direction but there was too much uncertainty. so I want to a startup instead. much more stable

Aquarium of Lies
Feb 5, 2005

sad cutie

she/her
Taco Defender

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

if you can't afford to save $20k, you can't afford your current lifestyle. full stop. start making cuts.

you are broke. if anything goes wrong in your life you could literally end up homeless.

there's a lot of people who can't save $20k and have nothing more to cut. idk lmo's budget or anything but she seems smart enough to budget and I don't see a point in going "you're doing it wrong" based on her posts complaining about debt?? I get annoyed when people try to explain finance to poor people though

is there a term for that, like with mansplain? cause I see it a lot

Aquarium of Lies
Feb 5, 2005

sad cutie

she/her
Taco Defender
I've heard good things about cracking the coding interview from friends, but haven't used it myself

Aquarium of Lies
Feb 5, 2005

sad cutie

she/her
Taco Defender

fart simpson posted:

you have to have the president of the company personally sign off on a department transfer?

my last place was even more insane. we were bought out by a company that was bought out etc several times, or something. so what would happen is we'd have to get approval from our company, then our parent company, then our parent parent company, etc up like five levels

we would interview somebody and decide we liked them and it would take four weeks to actually get the offer approved. of course by then any good people already had an offer elsewhere

sometimes you could get an offer pre approved for like two weeks! then if you didn't actually interview somebody you liked in that time it would expire and you'd have to go through the process again

ugggh

Aquarium of Lies
Feb 5, 2005

sad cutie

she/her
Taco Defender
idk every time I've applied to a job turnaround was 1-2 weeks :shrug: all I know is everybody who we had as a first choice to hire always accepted an offer elsewhere before we even had ours ready to give them

either that or our interview process scared everybody off. that's possible too

Aquarium of Lies
Feb 5, 2005

sad cutie

she/her
Taco Defender
also I realize it wasn't clear but it was the same process for internal transfers and external hires

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aquarium of Lies
Feb 5, 2005

sad cutie

she/her
Taco Defender
if anybody's looking for a job in boston my company's hiring an experienced web dev (react + rails) and a back end dev (java + python, experience here is much more negotiable). we're located right by government center. pm me if interested and I can give more details

I can promise no interviews at 8, morning or evening!

• Locked thread