Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

lol, just lol if people arent throwing job offers at you non-stop with no interview

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

ever job i got has been from recommendations/nepotism except my internships in college

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

don't forget to show off your iphone 4s running ios5 for added street cred with the union boys

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Boiled Water posted:

I've seen this story play out over and over. you will never see a raise with the current company. ever.

it works even in the federal government for highly paid scientists in certain organizations

they max out the gs pay scale but the private sector offers so much more so OPM can go beyond gs for people they want to keep with special procedures, you just gotta threaten to leave with an offer letter

i dunno if id wanna try in the private sector though unless you're sure you're the best thing since sliced bread

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Shaman Linavi posted:

probably the math test

related, i applied for a job that had me take 2 SAT style test things, one of which i had to take while on webcam.
i got a nice email back from the parent company asking me to never apply at them or their subsidiaries ever again

name and shame

lol

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Never work for a job that requires clearance. Seriously.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

100.64.0.0/10 mofos

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

JewKiller 3000 posted:

which private address space is better for what? what the gently caress does that question even mean

it means run away from who ever is asking it

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Thanks Ants posted:

just do what a large european bank does and use public ip space that isn't allocated to your organisation internally

nice

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

lol if you have a server rack in your house

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

FrozenVent posted:

also lol if your interview process is more than "hey frozenvent are you ready for a move?"

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Bloody posted:

also who wants to hire me to do poo poo in boston/new York/dc I'm good at touching computers thanks in advance this job search poo poo's gettin me worn out

come to dc so i can enable your alcoholism bloody

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

but actually don't because it's terrible here

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Bloody posted:

actually, its good (my brother lives there and my brother is awesome & fun & whenever I visit dc it is super mega fun)

it's very bad and will soon be filled with neoconservative shitlords in addition to the just normal terrible people

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Uncle Enzo posted:

the federal government of america

federal government it is actually surprisingly not terrible in the better funded departments from what ive heard/observed from friends

every private company ive worked for has godawful it

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

philly owns

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

hft should be illegal

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

lol no one is desperate enough to gently caress your thirsty rear end

actually, some women are!

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

the cool & good thing about hft is it spurs a bunch of investment and r&d into telecom poo poo

i cracked the gently caress up when i first learned these psychos set up nyc-chicago microwave networks because they have lower latency than fiber

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Bloody posted:

how do I get them to give me money to build nyc London ocean floor waveguide links

lol that would be awesome

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

update your e/n thread mate

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

poty posted:

im planning to send them a friends request/thank you for the interview note. would you do it

i would do it if i wanted to let them know im a cyberstalker and not get the job, yeah

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

The Management posted:

you just become the guy that stalked me on linkedin and wrote me that awkward email.

ftfy

contacting people that haven't given you their contact info isn't cool

it's like sending a facebook friend request to a girl you met in passing

after furiously masturbating to her profile picture of course

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

if you dont get the job either you werent the right fit in their mind or someone else was better

sending unsolicited emails to people that werent even present during your interview will do nothing to improve your chances, but may definitely hurt them

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

ahmeni posted:

I've been looking around casually for another gig for a bit and it's really bizarre when you ask about working from home occasionally and suddenly they get all huffy about how THE CULTURE requires everyone to be physically present in the office at all times

lmao

my current company's nearest office is 30 miles away and rush hour traffic here is horrendous

i told them straight up if they expected me to be in the office every day to look for someone else and all they said was "try to come in twice a week for the few few months to get to know people"

a year later I still come in twice a week :shobon:

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Jonny 290 posted:

and after a while you always lose the mating one

lol

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

double ohm seven posted:

if you don't get two years of 80% of your salary when you rear a child then congrats on living in a garbage country I guess?

let me tell you about a little something called personal responsibility :smug:

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Jonny 290 posted:

if you do not understanding the horror of mass death that is possible with the implied or express destablization of MAD, i can put you on ignore right now and resume speaking with adults, your call

echi is a father lol

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Rex-Goliath posted:

[ask] me about making this exact mistake and being led on for three months

i don't think it's ever worth playing that card

either the place you work is a good enough fit for you that you deal with being paid less than you think you should be, or you leave

can always come back and renegotiate your salary a year later

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Gazpacho posted:

lol if you as a hired employee give a poo poo about your company's "mission" or "values"

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

MrMoo posted:

An Uber interviewer...Houston...sounded pretty amazing

lol

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

OldAlias posted:

lol on topic. we all do labour here, yospos is the digital labourer forum

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

lol if you exercise

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

i put in a days labour in the computer mines and boy are my arms tired

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

i got an email from apple guy and i should have a phone interview with them in the next couple of weeks!

nice

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

goongrats bloody

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

lol if every job youve ever had wasnt obtained via gross nepotism/cronyism

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Bloody posted:

my new job was attained entirely through submitting an application into the void of a webpage. I wrote a kinda decent cover letter to go with it (because they were required) but

thank you for not moving to dc bloody

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

JewKiller 3000 posted:

i lived in the dc metro area for 10 years. don't do a dc. it is not cool or good.

ive grew up here, left, came back, left again, came back and now working on getting the gently caress out of here asap :smithicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

im glad i got my nice liberal suburban education in a stable financially sound blue state but its just congested and bad and boring here

• Locked thread