Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Fallen Hamprince posted:

as a grad student the mere thought of seeking employment fills me with dread and terror, ama

i'm writing my masters thesis send help

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

The Management posted:

you're making it too dramatic. this isn't a breakup. you tell your boss that you have a better offer. if he wants to retain you, he will work to get you the terms you need to stay. it's not his money, he doesn't give a poo poo if the company cuts you a bigger check every pay period. in fact, most bosses would be happy to pay their employees more if they found a justification for it that goes around HR's compensation restrictions. this is that kind of excuse.

there are two caveats. one is that you have to be fairly sure they want to retain you. and two, you can't bluff. if they fold you have to take the other offer or you will be their bitch from then on.

I've seen this story play out over and over. you will never see a raise with the current company. ever.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

mishaq posted:

i dunno if id wanna try in the private sector though unless you're sure you're the best thing since sliced bread

your manager will stall you for as long as possible with promises of a raise that ultimately never comes

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

through waiting and accounting being the most powerful and least powerful department in every company i've been offered a job doing big data and deep learning

i really hope someone will specify what exactly needs to be accomplished because it's vague af

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

are you at least in a place where firing you would have economical consequences for the company like severance?

otherwise :rip:

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Stymie posted:

paying taxes isn't victimization

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

if you've been piss tested then the company you work for is garbage, possibly because it's in a garbage country

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Rex-Goliath posted:

you're an intern no one expects poo poo from you

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

my new job has me be data science lead in big data development in a traditional machine learning shop

no pressure

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

analysts can also be statistical analysis which is another payscale alltogether.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

I received two emails.

1) I'm sorry, we've received 1300 resumes and won't be having you for interview.

2) I'm sorry, we've received 15 resumes and won't be having you for interview.

:psyduck:

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

The Management posted:

it's a series of unventilated stairs loosely connected by bomb shelters.

actually it's a metaphor for the internet

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

CrazyLittle posted:

15 miles is 45 minutes in the bay area

and about 2 mil

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

AWWNAW posted:

digital nomads man

more like internet hobos

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

why don't goo.gl just build apartments for their peons?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

qirex posted:

because the city of mountain view won't let them

CrazyLittle posted:

it's this. they proposed multiple times but the city always tells them to get hosed

They're god drat google why don't they just push their leverage around? Take out the massive cock, swing it about and into the face of mountain view.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Schadenboner posted:

What did you prepare for the talent portion of the interview?

i'm hoping song and dance routine

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

qirex posted:

they should have let goog build a bunch of tiny studios/dorm style housing because a) young people don't vote and b) they'll have to move if they want to have kids [increased school-age population terrifies these fuckers to death because Good Schools* is a huge part of their inflated property values]

*yes, this means exactly what you're afraid it might

first my mind went to amount of kids in classes and how it might negatively impact student/teacher time and ..

it's because talent knows no race isn't it? :smith:

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

doesn’t work

nepotism on the other hand

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN