Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
UPDATE: CONTEST IS CLOSED! Thank you for participating!

There's been a dearth of contests in the Let's Play Subforum as of late, so we figured it was high time to remedy that. What with the weather changing and holiday time on the horizon, we figured we'd give everyone one more reason to stay indoors. So please allow me to introduce the...

:siren: Wooooo! Contest! :siren:

The goal of this contest is decide which snow level in a game is the single greatest snow level of all games and then prove why to the rest of the subforum. Since this is the Let's Play subforum, I know we all have access to a plethora of games with snow levels as well as the means to record them, whether it be as a VLP or an SSLP. To enter this contest, all you need to do is the following:

• 1. Find your favourite snow level in a game and record it
  • 2. Show off this snow level in the form of a video LP or screenshot LP so that we can see the level in action
  • 3. Tell us why your choice is the greatest of all choices and should win
  • 4. Submit your entry to this thread

And that's all!

There will be two winners: one selected by the LP Subforum through a vote, and one selected by the LP Moderation team.

The prize will be the winner's choice of a Platinum Upgrade, Archives Upgrade, or New Avatar.

There are no restrictions regarding LP styles. It can be funny, informative, narrative--whatever. You decide. If your chosen game takes place entirely in snow levels (e.g., Lost Planet, The Long Dark, etc.), please choose the best parts to show off rather than LPing the entire game. While we don't want to give a time limit for entries, do try and avoid submitting entire Let's Plays.

I have thrown together a couple examples of what a VLP or SSLP contest entry might look like. They are linked below.

The contest will run up to Christmas Eve at Midnight! Good luck, and have fun!

RESULTS:

Congratulations to nine-gear crow and ACES CURE PLANES for submitting the winning entry, and to Faerie Fortune for winning the Mod's Choice Award.

Sally fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jan 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Further clarifications:

1) We'll have the public vote first, and the mods will pick our winner after that. We won't pick the same winner as you. (You'll never know if we would've if we could've)

2) You can submit entries individually, or as a group of up to four. If you submit as a group and win, we'll pony up for a prize for each of you.

Make us proud, LP!

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish
The greatest snow level, it so transpires, was within us the whole time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ice9EbfhCg

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.
And now, the theme song of this contest:

Ice World

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
The prize should be Blind Sally probating Crow for 6 hours once a week until he finishes PoP2008 :grin:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Lunethex posted:

The prize should be Blind Sally probating Crow for 6 hours once a week until he finishes PoP2008 :grin:

That's only if he loses. If he wins he gets to probate someone for 24 hours :v:

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Counterpoint: Every game with a snow level is terrible since it reminds me that the concept of winter exists.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

cant cook creole bream posted:

Counterpoint: Every game with a snow level is terrible since it reminds me that the concept of winter exists.

Please submit this in the form of a Let's Play for it to count as an entry.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.
I'm not here to make friends. I'm here to win.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Jenner posted:

I'm not here to make friends. I'm here to win.

Disqualified for not recording it yourself. :colbert:

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

A Good Snowman is Hard To Build, but don't worry! We can do it together!

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
So, here's my submission.

Rocket League: Snow Day!

I originally did the first level of TimeSplitters 2, and decided to just talk over it immediately after recording it, which resulted in me failing to actually talk about why it's the best snow level ever. But that's fine, it's only the second best snow level ever, Snow Day takes the cake. Anyway, this is not a submission, but since I made the video I want to show it regardless. Go here if you wanna see some vintage 2002 console FPS action

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Disqualified for not recording it yourself. :colbert:

Maybe I recorded the other person's gif with gif cam. You can't prove I didn't. Potentially recording was involved.

I think you neglected to hug Louise. :ohdear:

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

I've never heard of this game before but it looks really good!

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Its a very good, very sweet little game and I'm very glad I stumbled upon it!

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Miz Kriss posted:

And now, the theme song of this contest:

Ice World
You know, it's funny you should mention that...

... because here's the ice world from the Brawl in the Family creator's game!

Snowfall Lake from Tadpole Treble.

Tadpole Treble is an auto-scrolling rhythm game where you have to guide a newborn tadpole called Baton through a series of levels so she can make her way back home. Each level is set on a musical stave, and unlike most rhythm games, the notes are obstacles to be avoided rather than hit. This gives the creators a lot more freedom for interesting level design. Speaking of creators, the composer and lead artist for the game is Brawl in the Family's Matthew Taranto, and the level designer (and one of the programmers) is his brother Michael. So if you're a fan of BitF's general sense of humour and musical comics, you might just enjoy this as well.

Snowfall Lake, the game's seventh level, is Tadpole Treble's obligatory ice world. It's pretty nice as ice worlds go though - most of the slipping and sliding is deliberate tobogganing from Baton, and she seems to be having fun with it! That's partially why I think it should win - it's an ice world (in a game by people who are very aware of the pitfalls that most ice worlds fall into) that's designed to be more a piece of light relief than anything else.

The video consists of three runs of the level - a casual run where I mostly show off the mechanics, an S-Rank run where I aim for as high a score as I can, and an F-Rank run where I aim for as low a score as I can. The F-Ranks in this game are usually harder than the S-Ranks! And if you haven't heard enough of this music after listening to it three times :v:, you can find just the tune itself here.

(PS apologies for the cursor on screen. First time trying to use OBS to record something to my hard drive, and I'm more used to using in-built emulator recording facilities for this stuff. Plus I had a lot of S-Rank attempts I had to scrap because of either a) messing up in-game or b) getting the S-Rank but then learning that, say, I hadn't recorded sound or had the resolution too low or something. By the time I got that sorted, I just went "screw it" when I saw the cursor. Oh well. I'm not expecting to win. I just wanted to show off a neat game that I thought got overlooked in the general rush of games that was 2016 on Steam).

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Dec 8, 2016

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

My goodness, I completely forgot the BitF guy was making a game. I'll need to remember to look that up (and read your post again :v:) when I'm not stuck behind a work proxy.

Esoteric Banana
Mar 29, 2010

That game is legitimately cute as heck.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
It inspired me to roll up some giant balls of snow and stack them on top of each other. It was a very productive day.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.

I kept thinking there was gonna be a jump scare when you hugged the first snowman and the camera started to zoom in. :saddowns:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

What game can eight people play at once (sort of) on an Atari 2600 (if they're already sick of Summer Games)? Winter Games!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fB490NVyujg

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

True story, Modern Warfare 2 has the best snow level of all time. It's especially good in comparison to the other snow level in the game that starts off with a lame rear end "sneak and snipe" segment that becomes a "try to not get mauled to death by dogs" segment pretty quickly.

Also, it's Craig Fairbass that was in Cliffhanger, not Kevin McKidd. Both are in MW2, though.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

derp wrong tab

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Come and have some fun in snowy Stalingrad!

ModeWondershot
Dec 30, 2014

Portu-geezer
Mine will be a screenshot-based contribution, though I think it makes a good case for why the snow level described therein is the "greatest."

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
If you've seen my posting around here, you perhaps know that I love making stupid loving joke videos.

So of course I made one for this. The first few days this thread was up, I was already asking JossiRossi if I could use one of his Goon Holiday Album entries, over the past week I've prepared a loadout and some Forma'ing and Riven rerolling for this, and yesterday I spent a few hours finding just the right missions to run, recording, timing, re-recording, realizing I was on the wrong cosmetic loadout, re-re-recording, and editing it all together.

I'm not submitting that video. I'm not even going to link it.

Because I remembered something that actually deserves this title. Me, forgoing a video shitpost. That's how genuinely good this is.

The Greatest Snow Level:

Lost Constellation

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Please enjoy the greatest snow level(s) of all time in SSLP format, from Secret of Mana on the SNES. I could tell you why it's the greatest snow level, but spoilers.

How Randi Saved Christmas From You (Yes You)

Also, there is a current LP of this game which hasn't got to this point, so if you are following that blind then probably don't read.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Thanks to all you wonderful people who have already submitted entries! They have sustained me on these cold winter days. Just a reminder to anyone else who is interested in entering: December 24th at Midnight is the deadline for entries.

Afterwards, I'll set up a poll and allow people to vote on their favourite submission for BEST SNOW LEVEL.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.
SSX3, the winter game so good it was hard to pick a best level. Welcome to The Intimidator.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

Quite coincidentally aligning with my own LP, and thanks to a timely seasonal update from Flying Wild Hog studios, here's my contender for my favorite winter level: Christmas in Calamity Town!

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

i wanted to show off dr lunatic supreme with cheese's snow level(s) but something something windows compatibility crash on launch screen yay

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I really wanted to gush over the opening of Darksiders 2 but only just managed to get to a recording-capable computer. Oh well, guess it's next year.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

anilEhilated posted:

I really wanted to gush over the opening of Darksiders 2 but only just managed to get to a recording-capable computer. Oh well, guess it's next year.

The day isn't over yet, there's still time!

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I've just noticed that the OP says "Christmas Eve at Midnight" which I am assuming is an error and should be Christmas Day at Midnight. I've also noticed that BSal did not specify a timezone but I am assuming something in the UTC-6 band or thereabouts, so there's still time I guess?

Merry Christmas from GMT, though.

skullhead tethyis
Dec 30, 2015
a thousand pardons to baldurk after I'm clumsily messed up making a batch uploader
testpost
and lorepost
but I should post what I have

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAJYvgJNurg

Hold onto your butts, I'm going to blow you away.:smug:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
It's not Midnight yet on PST!

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Alright people it's now definitely Christmas in every timezone (and Boxing Day or whatever it is you call it in at least one) so submissions are closed! Stand by while we finish doing whatever it is we do on Christmas Day and we'll get right to rigging up some sort of voting contraption.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Happy Holidays, everyone! (Thanks for catching that typo, Fedule). Submissions are indeed closed and a poll is forthcoming. Enjoy the morning!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Voting closed.

Sally fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jan 2, 2017

• Locked thread