Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.
Okay honest question, when did this start and what's the point? Is it just to make it more appealing/palatable to Manly Men who are too Manly to watch a family movie? Does it imply some level of quality? Is it just to soften the image of the action stars to broaden their appeal?

The earliest one I remember is Mr. Mom with Hulk Hogan. Were there ones before that one or was that one the first? Because there have been loads!

Also are any of these movies good?

I watched The Pacifier with Vin Diesel because I was hoping for memetic lines (his movies are ripe with them) but it was not good. I also watched Mr. Mom when I was a wee child and remember nothing about it. (I'm probably better off for it.)

Help me out here.

Jenner fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Dec 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
It's not exactly what you're talking about but I think Commando is a family friendly version of First Blood.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Jenner posted:

Okay honest question, when did this start and what's the point? Is it just to make it more appealing/palatable to Manly Men who are too Manly to watch a family movie? Does it imply some level of quality? Is it just to soften the image of the action stars to broaden their appeal?

The earliest one I remember is Mr. Mom with Hulk Hogan. Were there ones before that one or was that one the first? Because there have been loads!

I watched The Pacifier with Vin Diesel because I was hoping for memetic lines (his movies are ripe with them) but it was not good. I also watched Mr. Mom when I was a wee child and remember nothing about it. (I'm probably better off for it.)

Help me out here.

Kindergarten Cop made $200 million on a $15 million budget in 1990 so a bunch of studios probably decided that action stars and kids was a recipe for success.

PianolasonMars
Dec 3, 2016
I think it depends on your definition of good. Entertaining? Maybe.

Does the remake of The Karate Kid count? Haven't seen it, but remember it being well-reviewed.

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think the idea is to take $$$blockbuster name recognition$$$ and sell tickets to something you can bring the kids to for 90 minutes. SILENCE THE CROTCHSPAWN has been Dreamworks' modus operandi for the last 5 (10?) years, so there's fertile soil to till there.

I don't know what Junior(1994) would count as.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Jenner posted:

Help me out here.

Every Which Way But Loose

Actually, what do you mean by family movie?

Family friendly, as in a PG-ish rating? Or associated with a family, where they're in the equivalent of a family sitcom? Like Tooth Fairy, or that other bullshit The Rock has done.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Dec 8, 2016

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.

Mister Macys posted:

Every Which Way But Loose

Actually, what do you mean by family movie?

Family friendly, as in a PG-ish rating? Or associated with a family, where they're in the equivalent of a family sitcom? Like Tooth Fairy, or that other bullshit The Rock has done.

I'm okay with talking about PGish movies starring action stars but I specifically mean the movies where the actor takes on a parenting role or sitcom like stuff. (Like The Tooth Fairy, yes.)

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
What was that movie where Ice Cube takes his kids on a road trip

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Kindergarten Cop freakin owns

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
My pick is Undercover Blues then.

Kathleen Turner and Dennis Quaid as spy parents.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Kindergarten Cop freakin owns

The fact that Japanese game designers had no idea what American schools were like so they just copied backgrounds and features straight from Kindergarten Cop means it was an incredibly influential movie.

Hector Beerlioz posted:

What was that movie where Ice Cube takes his kids on a road trip

It was crap.

I'm kind of internally weighing if Stop or My Mom Will Shoot counts as the kind of movie I'm looking for. I don't think it is.

I haven't seen many of this kind of movie, tbh. I'm just kind of wondering how many there are. I thought there were a lot but now I'm not so sure. There are a lot of PGish movies featuring folks like this though. It's odd because the fact that Kindergarten Cop made bank definitely does a lot to explain why these movies persist but why did they create Kindergarten Cop?

In order to look up these kinds of movies I've been dredging through the filmography of prominent action stars and I discovered this movie with Liam Neeson in it called Breakfast on Pluto and it is also not the type of movie I'm talking about but it just looks fascinating and I need to see this movie.

Okay, I need to start talking about the type of movie I'm looking for. This is harder than I thought! Bruce Willis was in Disney's The Kid. Looking into it it seems to fit the criteria. This movie seems weird.

Oh! Almost Christmas starring Danny Glover.

BTW, The Last Action Hero loving rules but it's not the kind of movie I'm talking about.

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jenner posted:

The fact that Japanese game designers had no idea what American schools were like so they just copied backgrounds and features straight from Kindergarten Cop means it was an incredibly influential movie.

I would like to know more.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011

ArgumentatumE.C.T. posted:

I would like to know more.

Check out Voidburger's Silent Hill 2 LP.

The TL;DR is that the school level is pretty much the set of Kindergarten Cop. But Voidburger really goes into detail and spergs about it and :iia:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
I unironically love Jingle All The Way. It's one of the only films I know of (aside from A Serious Man) that takes place in the Minneapolis.

Back in early '96, one of my uncles was out on a walk with his dogs in Edina, where they were filming the scenes in that little cul-de-sac where Arnold's family 'lives' next to Phil Hartman's (Ted's) family in the movie, and Phil Hartman was just standing off to the side of the set while they were working on some establishing shots of the houses out in the snow. Hartman, my uncle and my uncle's buddy just stood at the perimeter of the filming area shooting the poo poo about stuff going on in Edina, and Linden Hills, and the Mall of America (where they also shot a couple of scenes for the movie) and the Twin Cities in general for something like 1 1/2-2 hours. To this day my uncle swears up and down that Hartman was one of the sincerely nicest people he's ever talked to.

I guess my point is- I don't care how many times it's been repeated- RIP Phil Hartman. You were seriously taken from us all way too soon.

• Locked thread