Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Demicol posted:

Also the king just loans his magic powers to people, I guess this explains how only Noct can craft/draw magic and he just gives them to his friends to use in neat little balls.

This part is kinda weird. Kingsglaives explicitly are able to warp, but can't pull weapons from hammerspace. Noct's pals, meanwhile, can pull weapons from hammerspace (only two each though) but can't warp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Fedule posted:

This part is kinda weird. Kingsglaives explicitly are able to warp, but can't pull weapons from hammerspace. Noct's pals, meanwhile, can pull weapons from hammerspace (only two each though) but can't warp.

They warp if you use Ignis's Regroup skill.

dimenticon
Jun 16, 2014

Me irl, whatever, who cares

Fedule posted:

Maybe Kingsglaive's powers grow with the powers of the king they're protecting. Even in his old-man-with-a-cane state I bet Regis could kick his son's spoiled rear end if he just looked at Noct hard enough.

It probably has more to do with the Ring and Crystal combo mentioned in the lore guide. Regis as the current king has both so he's got a lot of power he can lend out.

edit: didn't read your post properly so my take doesn't really answer what you brought up, and now I'm wondering myself.

dimenticon fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Dec 22, 2016

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

You can hear Prompto say "I wish I could warp" some times, so Noctis probably warps them when necessary but they can't use it themselves. My bet is also on the king can do it because he has the ring, thus far more power to lend out then Noctis's natural talents, which I guess is limited to letting his friends pull weapons out nowhere.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Fedule posted:

Noct is related to Regis and a special boy so he gets to do both. As he gets old, he'll lose the ability to warp and pull the weapons out of hammerspace. His friends, are not related to the king and thus, can never warp on their own.

SgCloud
Oct 30, 2011
Wasn't this game supposed to have a story? Where is it?

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

SgCloud posted:

Being patched in at some point

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

SgCloud posted:

So far, we've only been doing sidequests.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
e: removed that, mistook it for the regular FFXV thread, but yeah roadtripping is the story, and keeping your fiancee waiting while you go and hunt creatures, help strange NPCs out with their killings of ten boars

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Dec 23, 2016

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Going on a road trip with your bros is all the story you need, anyway.

Gnomebitten
Mar 31, 2011

Shave Early. Shave Yourself.
The problem with dressing up your boys is that there is shockingly little customization in it with how JRPGs do nowadays. Just coming off of Tales of Zestiria (not a good game, but really) really soured how little you can accessorize these boys.

Behold

At least you can get some filthy stinkin' boys, just the dirtiest boys.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Doc Morbid posted:

Going on a road trip with your bros is all the story you need, anyway.

agreed, journey not destination maaan

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
"Doing odd jobs in the desert after some rear end in a top hat took all my money to fix the royal sedan" is a better plot than pretty much every other final fantasy anyway.

Too bad the king didn't fill the royal trunk with something useful for selling to folks in the desert, like puffy jackets.

dimenticon
Jun 16, 2014

Gnomebitten posted:

The problem with dressing up your boys is that there is shockingly little customization in it with how JRPGs do nowadays. Just coming off of Tales of Zestiria (not a good game, but really) really soured how little you can accessorize these boys.

At least you can get some filthy stinkin' boys, just the dirtiest boys.

I'm iffy on the attachments-over-costumes approach they've taken with the Tales series recently, cus while they really let you go all out with attachment customization, costumes just feel more completed and immersive, even when they're ridiculous.

That said, agreed on making these boys as dirty as possible. Are there ways of accelerating this process beyond not letting them rest?

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

dimenticon posted:

That said, agreed on making these boys as dirty as possible. Are there ways of accelerating this process beyond not letting them rest?

I believe it's a three-step process:

1. Buy a feather hat
2. Steal a cricket bat
3. Smash some windows, make a noise

That should basically do the trick.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
You can buy an accessory that increases the rate at which dirt and bloodstains accumulate on the characters. You can't stop it from all washing off after sleeping.

topiKal
Mar 11, 2006

Rock Solid.
Heart Touching.
UPDATE

Merry Christmas, ya filthy animals

melodicwaffle
Oct 9, 2012

Call or fold?

I'm surprised it didn't take the entire episode to find the map piece, that quest is awful. I looked up a guide after half an hour of searching and it still took me another 15 minutes to find the drat thing after that.

Also I'm a moron for not mentioning that the DLC included weapons :doh: You have the Blazefire Saber from FF13 (one-handed sword), Mage Mashers from 9 (daggers) and Gae Bolg from 14 (spear) which are all pretty nice in the early game.

Speaking of DLC, there's a free Holiday Pack available now for some event in January or something

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Just one note that you can go to the map and instantly warp back to either your car or the last place you rested. Makes getting around after finishing a quest much easier.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

ApplesandOranges posted:

Just one note that you can go to the map and instantly warp back to either your car or the last place you rested. Makes getting around after finishing a quest much easier.

i wish it would explain this stuff to us

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
This game looks so weird to play. I played a couple Tales games back in the day and the later Star Ocean games and FF15 is aping them but it seems so clustered and claustrophobic. Having not played obviously I can't tell from most of the game seen thus far in the LP but it doesn't seem you can do much about enemies that attack you off-screen. There doesn't seem to be hitstun on any enemies and a lot of this seems left to chance. If someone who is good at this game is reading I am curious what the mechanics are to not getting hit a lot in this game.

Also god the world is really empty so far. Hope you get a method to move around faster later.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Lunethex posted:

This game looks so weird to play. I played a couple Tales games back in the day and the later Star Ocean games and FF15 is aping them but it seems so clustered and claustrophobic. Having not played obviously I can't tell from most of the game seen thus far in the LP but it doesn't seem you can do much about enemies that attack you off-screen. There doesn't seem to be hitstun on any enemies and a lot of this seems left to chance. If someone who is good at this game is reading I am curious what the mechanics are to not getting hit a lot in this game.

Also god the world is really empty so far. Hope you get a method to move around faster later.

Basic idea is mostly spam circle with the appropriate weapon, hold square to block attacks, try to hit them from behind if possible. There is some hitstun (especially when you break enemies), but it varies between enemy types. It's not quite as tactical as Tales, although there are some enemy patterns you can identify (for instance, you can tell when horses are about to charge at you).

You can identify when weapons are advantageous if orange numbers are showing up when you hit them, and disadvantageous if the numbers are purple.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Kuvo posted:

Also the tiny minimap icon's have an elevation indicator on them. Up arrow means go higher, down arrow means go lower. It would have drastically cut down on the blue circle area you had to explore to find stuff.

Unless it's dumb and that just indicates the center of the blue circle more :saddowns:

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

Kuvo posted:

They're listed on the map screen. Also if you didn't figure it out yet you can sprint forever if you press the sprint button again near when its about to run out.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Kuvo posted:

This game is second only to Platinum titles in actually explaining the drat mechanics. Thankfully you have around 40+ hours to figure them out!

dimenticon
Jun 16, 2014

Yeah those "find X in a given radius" quests are pretty painful, I've risked waiting till night to do some just so I can see the item sparkle easier. I also think quest/red sparkle items have a longer draw distance for when a cursor points at it directly than regular blue sparkles but I could be wrong.

Med School
Feb 27, 2012

Where did you learn how to do that?
Marty McFly doin' quests in the '80s vest.

melodicwaffle
Oct 9, 2012

Call or fold?

Lunethex posted:

I'm admittedly not great at this game but I've put ~38 hours into it and I can definitely say enemy difficulty increases with group size, not with enemy levels or your progress in the game. Especially with faster enemies like goblins who love to bounce around like small kids high on candy and make you eat poo poo. This becomes less of a problem once you learn how to utilize spacing and weapon synergy better. For example there's a really good greatsword move which is a spiral attack and done by releasing the attack button, delaying for a second, then hitting it again. It's quick to come out but takes forever if you're trying to do it in the middle of a greatsword combo, which is why it's best to do it after switching from something faster like daggers to mitigate the greatsword's otherwise empty frames. If that makes sense. Kuvo mentioned this at some point while experimenting with weapon switching, but that's just a specific example. Certain combos will also place you differently in relation to your target, predictably back combos (holding back on the stick) will give you more space while forward combos bring you closer and usually start air combos.

I'm definitely not claiming this game has in-depth combat on DMC's level or anything but learning how to string efficient combos together requires some time and effort that only comes with playing the game more and actively paying attention, so stuff like goblin swarms early in the game actually pose a pretty decent challenge different from tackling a couple of slow fantasy-rhinos simply because they can combo you to death and prevent you from stringing more than two hits together. Constantly warping out and then in is common advice for handling those kinds of fights, as well as being pretty liberal with the dodge button. Trying to go for full combos blindly without paying attention to enemy animations just gets you knocked down a lot.

melodicwaffle fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Dec 24, 2016

coleman francis
Aug 8, 2007

Tap tap
The ketchup bottle
None will come
Then axolotl
Hair Elf
This is the silliest darn game and I am loving it.

The range of bro banter that happens when even doing something like changing clothes is really cool tho. I think thats twice now the game has said exactly what you two were saying when you said it?

oath2order
Oct 12, 2013

It's MAGIC. I don't have to explain shit!

ApplesandOranges posted:

Basic idea is mostly spam circle with the appropriate weapon, hold square to block attacks, try to hit them from behind if possible. There is some hitstun (especially when you break enemies), but it varies between enemy types. It's not quite as tactical as Tales, although there are some enemy patterns you can identify (for instance, you can tell when horses are about to charge at you).

You can identify when weapons are advantageous if orange numbers are showing up when you hit them, and disadvantageous if the numbers are purple.

Is this the only game that uses those particular colors to mean those particular things? I wonder if that's why people have so many issues with this mechanic. Players are used to a certain visual language in games, which Final Fantasy 15 is either unaware of or thinks it's too good for.

On the other hand, once I moved combat to wait mode and started using Libra, it all made much more sense.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Is using imperial units for distance a localisation change, or a flavour decision?

Gnomebitten
Mar 31, 2011

Shave Early. Shave Yourself.

dimenticon posted:

I'm iffy on the attachments-over-costumes approach they've taken with the Tales series recently, cus while they really let you go all out with attachment customization, costumes just feel more completed and immersive, even when they're ridiculous.

Did you not see the hat on top of the other hat?

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
Noct's alt outfit looking like a knock-off Aiden Pearce is really helping the "cobbled together mess of nonsense" vibe this game gives off.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Bocc Kob posted:

Noct's alt outfit looking like a knock-off Aiden Pearce is really helping the "cobbled together mess of nonsense" vibe this game gives off.

Oh my god I'm not the only one who sees this!

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
He does have the phone too...

dimenticon
Jun 16, 2014

Gnomebitten posted:

Did you not see the hat on top of the other hat?

Oh. Oh. Yeah okay, costumes are dead, long live attachments. I guess the closest to customization of that caliber we get here is all the Regalia stuff, which is admittedly pretty great but I don't think it appears in enough scenes to really mine that ridiculousness value.

coleman francis
Aug 8, 2007

Tap tap
The ketchup bottle
None will come
Then axolotl
Hair Elf

Fedule posted:

Oh my god I'm not the only one who sees this!

Noctis Lucis Caelum's iconic cap

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I'm really disappointed you didn't bumble into the mine, there's a bunch of goblins in there for you to kill forever and be confused as to why the quest isn't ending because you're trashed

e: the slow and meandering nonsense levels in the game are high enough to really enable Ryanmaning

Calihan
Jan 6, 2008
drat it. The comment about Prompto and bottle rockets loving killed me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

i was in the most random "I wanna re-watch some old T40s stuff" mood yesterday.

Then I find this today.

The world is good.

I don't plan to play this game, at least not any time soon so watching you guys again and seeing all this new stuff is just perfect.

• Locked thread