Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
All I know about this game is food and I saw a video on twitter where suddenly the player character was ejected from the car and went to space.

None of that prepared me for Prompto.

I'm pumpedo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

Except it's also a final fantasy game, so you can do batman takedowns from the rafters for like, 500 damage out of their 20000 health.

I wonder if any of them saw the "if you magically warp your rear end to a warping point, you get all your MP back" notice? Also, does it only work with the shortsword? It kinda looked like Topikal tried to warp at one point and the game refused.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

"Doing odd jobs in the desert after some rear end in a top hat took all my money to fix the royal sedan" is a better plot than pretty much every other final fantasy anyway.

Too bad the king didn't fill the royal trunk with something useful for selling to folks in the desert, like puffy jackets.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

Scaramouche posted:

Yeah this, and that it was barely uniform between characters. The muscle guy had just a vest and the twitchy guy had weird pants with no ankle. And that somehow this was a uniform passed down from on high, and what you can extrapolate about the organization that requires such a uniform. Which ends in the King being the lead singer from Linkin Park, or possibly Korn.

Maybe it's like the British were, and you have to buy your own uniform. So they all saw "black, leather" and stopped reading.

Then the king sent them out into the desert to die in them because who needs a proper desert uniform, we got a wall.

Also I'd probably consider watching a FF15 musical, rather than a movie and some anime.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

topiKal posted:

Sometimes it's hard to determine a good stopping point with this game because it never feels like we're making a lot of progress. Personally I think we should try to keep it closer to 30-40min and just try to post them more often from here on out.

Please tell me if I am wrong

This would be great. More than 40 minutes feels like a commitment, rather than "something funny to have on while I eat." Besides, it's not like you're missing anything if you arbitrarily cut the episode in the middle of an exciting drive through nothing.

mateo360 posted:

one thing I wish to point out is you keep thinking you just need to waste time for Cid to give you your weapons back but you still actually haven't given him the upgrade materials. You won't get the whiskers you need for the lance for a while still.

They didn't? Surely you don't have to have the quest active to give cid the poo poo, right?

Also: "wow I wish I could drive. Oh better pull over for the night." :v:

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

Section Z posted:

Would you like all of them to be so, or would you want to single out one character to be the one riding a pink chocobo?

Are chocobos still pastel, like in FF13? Because a pink one should match noct's vest pretty well in that case.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

50 medallions to go on a date with a horned fox

what a game.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

Kuvo posted:

oh man if this game has the equivalent of Don Corneos mansion i will be so happy

As if se'd ever do that again. I rather doubt they'd have the stomach for the reception that's guaranteed to have.

Did you guys not turn prompto back off the "use this lovely filter a bunch" setting you set in like, the third episode, or is this his natural level of "everything looks better if i crank the brightness and add a blue layer"? Because he's doing it at every drat photo-op.

Anyway good work team

Also, Benson, you have my personal approval to turn around and look at something else if there is a car-waxing scene. It's okay, you don't have to look at the videogame tity.

Except for the weird half-waders and cutoffs, which I can only assume are that city's coned worker's uniform. Probably best not to think too hard about that. But I couldn't help but notice that the power plant looked a lot like a spidertank, and now I assume this game's gravest sin is that it will not, in fact, become a spidertank for you to fight at some point.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

Really though, that textbox that said "just making sure you're paying attention" is just about perfect.

Man, watching that was a pretty good reminder of exactly why I never liked those beat 'em ups.

Kinda tragic that its battle system seems more involved than the main game's.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

Say, wasn't titan holding up a still-quite-on-fire meteor?

Like, you'd think it would be a problem for the entire world if he uh, got "put down" by the army or had his arm blown off by the backstreet boys.

I do like that Titan is an actual titan, and not like, some sort of idiot snake thing. That's pretty nice.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

goatface posted:

That pushing thing at the start of the challenge is really obnoxious.

Nah, it's real important. this way you emphasize with him when he says 'get off me.' It's a sign of superior quality writing, creating empathy like that.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

I forget, are we supposed to be upset that old guy bit it, or did we get over that because TACTICAL STEALTH ACTION happened and then a dragoon swung by and so we carried on to… a boat?

We're heading boatwards, right? Is there another map, then?

Christ, it's like they've looked at every huge release from the past few years, stole some aspect from it mindlessly, and then vomited it into an MMO world. If you didn't have that quest log you'd be completely directionless. Although I guess that part isn't anything new. My final fantasy memory is coming back to 7 after a long while and spending hours trying to figure out where the hell I was meant to be going.

RareAcumen posted:

I feel like Final Fantasy got real bad at characters post 9.

This game is also just odd. It feels...rigid in a lot of ways. No swimming, can't even get up to your knees in the water, jumping over cars tends to have you collide into it's giant top hat hitbox, the constant 10 second long interruptions by party so they can tell you to beat up a monster.

But those are all normal RPG limitations. It's rigid in comparison to basically any open world game, but as an RPG most of that's nothing unusual. And god knows, this isn't really an open world game as much as it's an RPG with a broken distance scale dearly trying to pretend it isn't.

Anyway I'm looking forward to your green chocobos in like 10 episodes.

Oh also since I don't think I asked when they were opened — those timed quest things are just like, phone game events, aren't they? Kinda feels like a weird thing to put into a console game.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

Who's even the antagonist?

It's probably not that hobo dude. Uh, I think there was some white-haired guy, is that it?

Do I need to consult some in-game encyclopedia or another movie to know who are The Baddies? Because I feel even if you didn't spend ages dicking around and doing all the sidequests, that'd still be infuriatingly vague.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

anatoliy pltkrvkay posted:

I tried to read the wiki plot summary for this game and I'm still not sure who the antagonist is.

However, apparently there's a Prompto DLC.

Is that the Episode Prompto or whatever? Apparently they've already got its soundtrack in their music list.

I forget, are you guys actively doing DLC, or just whatever happened to get rolled up in your season pass or whatever it was?

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

i can't believe that even the ps pro has pop in for the food jpegs

i mean, i assume it just didn't load before you mashed x on it. it didn't look as detailed as the toast.

also i hope that if you did get the egg, you also managed to buy more cup noodles. nothing sadder than an egg with no noodles, y'know?

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

cant cook creole bream posted:

Was it an actual cube, or some kind of cuboid?

Look at this guy, what's never boxwined

Too bad this game is fully voiced, I'd love to hear what awful things a box of wine makes you put into promptos mouth.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

I think if you sing even the tiniest portion of that loving bicycle song, you forfeit all rights to complain about any other song.

…is nobody gonna mention that hat? where the hell did it even come from

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

Nihilarian posted:

I wouldn't have much of a problem with characters gushing about poo poo they like if literally anyone else was allowed to dissent. The entire time I was thinking "ok this is where Ignus should say 'Assassin's Creed is garbage and this is why'". But moneys on the line so everyone just accepts that Assassin's Creed is the best game in the universe and Cup Noodles should be served in fancy restaurants

I wouldn't mind if anyone, anywhere, cared about anything half as much as Noctus (apparently) loves Assassin's Creed. The closest we've gotten is meatman and his sudden cup noodle fetish, and i guess everyone and that cellphone game?

Oh, and that kid and the cactaurs.

That being said, while this looks absolutely awful and I'd hate to play it, it's 100% wonderful to experience secondhand like this. Come to think of it, wasn't Bandunk also driving the last time you had a stealth section? That went well, so I have high hopes for this, a game that thinks a popup indicator that looks a lot like the triangle button is a good thing to pop up when you need to press x.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

That generic-rear end sword is meant to be his signature weapon?

Hell, why does he even have a "signature weapon." Dude can loving summon weapons and teleport and poo poo.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

To be fair, they probably came up with that tekken tie-in a decade ago, when it was versus 13 or whatever.
I'm pretty sure that had an actual action battle system, rather than "hold ◯ to attack"

Anyway I hope you guys can wrangle some friends so we can see four notcises take on the mighty catoblepas

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

Oxxidation posted:

Versus 13 never had any combat system in place at all, so that's not likely.

hm, then which one am I thinking of? I remember a psp demo with some sort of school and all your people were cards, like K-J. Maybe some other people were the numbers?

Tenebrais posted:

A lot of the photos toward the end of that contest thing looked like they had a bright glare on them. Was that glare on the screen in the game?

Sure looks like it. Which is a really weird thing to replicate when you're in an expanded view, and not like, first-person looking at a screen in the game.

The fishing kinda looks like ocarina of time's fishing minigame, but with a few more gauges tacked on. I don't think they help much.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

Was all that stuff on the first continent also his kingdom, or was his entire kingdom that one city? Because like, it seems the worst the oh-so-evil empire's done to anyone outside that city was stop the boats for a while. And I guess making zombie/golem soldier things out of ??? those are demons aren't they?, because what's her face mentioned that ages ago, and that's probably actually the regular sort of world-ending evil.

Like, I'm not really seeing much of a rush. Maybe if we got to see how awful things are in the city that would help. As it is, it really does seem like his only incentive to rush around is entirely "gently caress you that's my kingdom, also you killed my dad I didn't seem to like very much." On a related note, I'd assume that he did know his past future-wife for longer than the game's bothered to show, even if just as kids. Literally nothing about her makes any sense if they've met just once. And really, I'd sooner assume they hosed up establishing any sort of relationships than "we wrote him to be sad about someone he met for like, a week," because this is exciting videogame series Final Fantasy "we actually explained what was going on in a feature film instead, because gently caress you." Establishing relationships seems to be something they think they can just happily gloss over.

Come to think of it, I think the only relationship they've mentioned anything about is that bit on a rooftop somewhere with prompto, and I'm sure that's entirely missable. Everything else is like a bit like if you create a family in the Sims. They're just people stuck together on someone's whim. I guess that's what happens to a final fantasy when you don't have to collect teammates.

f.e. Oh, I see. There is an actual problem in his city. I guess. That demon sounds like a combination of a ballista (or something moved by chains) and a flak cannon what the poo poo

Oh that's right, also the empire's doing ??? which has made nighttime last forever so the world'll be taken over by demons or something. Really, you'd think there'd be more focus on that. I think it's only really been mentioned a handful of times.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

Yeah, but you get a sweet cactuar sword.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

Speaking of cars, is it on the train now? Or is it still hanging out on the SS Fucktown?

Incidentally, as annoying as timeskipping onto a train is, looking at the map, that would've been like a solid hour of silently riding a boat, so thank god they did.

That one three minute clip of the movie (full of spoilers) someone linked a day ago has done far more to explain what the ring does than the game has — did they seriously offload explaining the plot into a goddamn feature film instead? Does anything actually make sense when you're done with the game without having watched the movie?

Tenebrais posted:

I think Tenebrae was the country Lunafreya was princess of? Their marriage was going to be a political union between that one and Noct's one (Insomnia?).

So, this is the plot as best I can remember:

Noctis is going to marry Lunafreya. He gathers together his Hearty Crew to go on a road trip to see her and I guess the wedding was going to happen then. But his car breaks down, and later the boat he would take was grounded and it was probably all a ploy to get him out of the kingdom for when the empire invaded. I don't remember what happened on Luna's end but they were both presumed dead and went into their respective exiles.

Noctis is running around looking for allies. He gets told to gather his old family ancestors' weapons and meanwhile Lunafreya is going around to all the old espers/eidolons/summons/naughtyboys/whatever this game calls them and convincing them to side with Noctis or... something, so Noctis can use their powers to defeat the empire and probably also some other not yet defined evils. The empire is also trying to get at the naughtyboys and kill them or something. At one point Noct's car is stolen but he gets it back.

As they go about, one of the friends that is helping them out gets shanked by the empire and somewhere in all this I think they decide to go to the water city, presumably to summon Leviathan, I don't remember how this related to the dead guy but I'm sure there was some connection there. Their boat is broken so Cid sends them out to collect a super-rare nugget of metal rather than just pay some fisherman fifty gil to borrow theirs.

There's a big scene about summoning a gigantic belligerent dragon in the middle of the city, the city gets destroyed by water but actually everything is okay except Ignis is blind now (it's tragic coz he once said he likes seeing things, that was his entire personality and backstory) and Lunafreya gets shanked by Doctor Who in a patched-in scene to justify the fact she was supposed to die there.

Then several weeks happened and Noctis is sad because his girlfriend died but Gladiolus is beating him into not moping because the subjects of his occupied kingdom really need their teenage king half the continent away to not be sad while they're being murdered by robots. Noctis needs to get on with whatever it is he's supposed to be doing just as soon as someone tells him what that is. I think there's a prophecy involved because that's what you do when you need to tie together a bunch of cool scenes in a fantasy story and run out of ideas.

Did I miss anything?

I think you forgot the demons, which seems like it's the "actual" world-saving plot, rather than the "empire are dicks" local plot. I think maybe the titans are important for that? I assume they're what's keeping the world together, and I think the empire is killing them because destroying the world is apparently the same as ruling it, so far as this sort of writing goes.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

MonsterEnvy posted:

Just to tell you that Radio that was interrupted was saying that Ravus. (Luna's brother and vaguely menacing guy.) Was being executed for what happened with Leviathan. Aka a guy built up as a notable villain is being killed offscreen.

He died as he lived. :colbert:

Incidentally, was he the guy with the sword he never used that was definitely not the missing one from a king's tomb? It's terribly difficult to keep all these people straight when they get about two minutes of screentime over thirty-odd hours.

Also, the cold can of corned beef hash or whatever is great. Just in case you didn't realize that everyone is super loving sad and miserable, you get to sit in the rain eating that. It's doubly great, since thanks to that trek through a mine that someone buried a king in, for some goddamn reason, so are you! Masterful writing

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

FeyerbrandX posted:

That's not the sword from the tomb, that's just Noct's dad's sword. The stolen sword is in the fuckpit. I don't think they stepped foot in the fuckpit, and I'm not about to blame them for not dealing with that shithole.

Ah, an entirely different dead king's sword. It's probably better, too, since holding it probably doesn't slowly kill you.

Kaasen posted:

The fact that you need to listen to the radio and read newspapers to understand what's going on in this game sure is embarrassing.

But that's kinda a cool idea. You know, if it didn't mean standing around in a diner listening to a radio report which doesn't get logged anywhere. Like, that's the poo poo that should be on the radio in the car. GTA games manage to do this just fine, and the newspapers in LA Noire (and Red Dead Redemption) were a good addition to the story. Of course, in none of those games is it actually essential to read the paper, it just adds to what you already know.

But hey, at least this game doesn't have a datalog :v: That's the thing that people hated about FF13, surely.

quote:

I've been thinking about it, and problems like these aren't just a cut content issue, it's an issue with Noctis being a barely active participant in his own story. Ever since the plan to visit Luna went to poo poo, all Noctis has really done is evade capture, collect plot tokens, and do what he's told. Even FFX did a "travel the world in order to prepare for your big moment" plot better than this, because in that game the party at least participated in every story beat.

You know, normally I like games where you're just kinda doing your own thing and maybe you incidentally save the world from something horrible. I think the problem here is that while you are 100% just dicking around and doing your own thing, you're the goddamn prince and your story is kinda meant to be all the flashy heroic poo poo. And I'm sure the game'll get to that, but that sort of thing is supposed to be the 70%, not the part where you wander around the desert collecting weapons or info.

It's like someone threw a generic final fantasy plot onto morrowwind or an mmo or something where you're encouraged to just gently caress around and not worry about the plot. Except nobody told the writers, so they're acting as if you haven't spent 20 hours collecting carrots and dogtags and painting chocobos or have at any point felt some sort of pressure to hurry the hell up with the story. The entire game's sense of time scale is utter dogshit.

f.e.: Speaking of newspapers, I get that Luna was revealed to be alive a while ago, but that newspaper article didn't seem to give half a gently caress that the supposedly long-dead prince was alive and zweefighting a water dragon. I suppose the only reason you're not constantly being harassed by dropships is that the empire doesn't want to have them all over their own country, and also "surely that not dead enough idiot prince wouldn't come here."

Zenostein fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Feb 7, 2018

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

I’m sure you’ll be glad to hear the mobile version includes popular features, like photorealistic cooking

Cars you can almost sorta control

Even more blatant ads

And Kenny Crow*

* You cannot sit next to the crow, nor is he drinking. What’s even the point?

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

topiKal posted:

I love how even the $30+ premium game still shoves ads for other mobile games down your throat. MAY THE CASH GRAB NEVER CEASE

The best part about its pricing is that buying chapters 2–10 costs the same as buying chapters 4–10. I don't even know why that's a bundle…

goatface posted:

Those character models looks a lot like their 2d sprite game updates.

I guess the off road car option isn't available.

Those models were selected because they tested best with teens and 20-somethings, apparently. This past month, there's been a shocking (read: more than one) number of articles about this on the ios App Store. You could even preorder it, which makes absolutely no goddamn sense to me, but whatever. I'd assume that there's no sweet monster truck, though. That would probably be asking too much. Plus, unless you have to unlock it, I haven't found a way to jump in the 10 minutes I played…

Picnic Princess posted:

Prairie style?

Those are testicles, aren't they.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2gly0HUKas

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

It was kinda neat how the tunnel walls seemed to be covered in demons, at least.

Not really sure why demons would want to gently caress with a fast-moving train, but I suppose they don't really need a motivation beyond killing stuff.

But goddamn, that was a lot of stuff happening for gently caress-all reason. At least they helpfully explained what king hobo did. Not why, of course. I assume nobody actually knows. I wonder how many "plot" points were written at some point by someone who no longer worked on the project when they were buttoning everything up.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

That's a good point, but is this place also snowy?

Because this is like, 100% the sort of game that forces you to drive at half-speed in the snow.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

So what was at that big rear end quarry you guys went to and got blown up in front of ages ago?

Was that another god or whatever summons are in this?

Oh also that one guy talking about water dragons or whatever was because that snake you zwee-fought came to knock gargoyles off your train because ???

You know it's a good game when you forget a goddamn waterdragon shows up in the desert/snowy hellscape to kill some stuff.

Vavrek posted:

I assumed Noctis was pushing Ardyn and then the camera suddenly cut to Prompto falling off the train because he was a klutz, no connection to the Noctis/Ardyn interaction at all.

I think your hint was that king hobo was mysteriously holding a gun for a few seconds before you shoved prompto the hell off the train. I donno, dude doesn't look like he'd use such stupid-looking guns. Probably.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

I'm glad multiple people have said that the twenty-minute exposition from a god doesn't really mean anything, because:
a) that like five-minute slideshow in one of the ff13 games did it better and shorter, and
b) "We are pets" was a better summation of the plot.
…Really, "we are pets" was probably a better plot, if only because "god's chess pieces" is a perfectly functional rpg plot, unlike whatever the hell this is meant to be. Possibly that? Who knows. Like, persona games basically all do that same overarching plot, but they have the decency to give you a plot to follow until you get to the end and they tell you everything's philemon's game or whatever.

I can't decide if it's a good or a bad thing that the UI is so unmemorable you never seemed to realize why there was a d-pad hanging out. It's a perfectly good representation of "you have no weapons," (if you ignore it being there before you realize that you have no weapons), but it's also super out of place since it just kinda appears on its own like that.

Also, I assume the car flashback was meant to be like, a flashback to happier times with your dad, but like, he literally only existed for 10 minutes. 10 minutes in which your player character was just kinda a whiny poo poo to him. So that's just super out of place.

Hell, even with that reading, it just looks like a goddamn christmastime car commercial.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

The Skeleton King posted:

Is this a joke? "We are pets" is the most incomprehensible summation of the most incomprehensible plot I have ever seen. I don't think anyone who worked on 13 ever knew what the plot was.

Why can't the plot of this game just be "empire stole my kingdom, now I gotta get the magic weapons and the power of the gods so I can kick the fuckers outta my home, also this homeless guy is a huge prick"

"Gods are doing some bullshit, you just shut up and do what you're told follow this hallway. It makes perfect sense.
f.e. I'm not saying it's a good plot, but it's certainly easy to understand

Momomo posted:

I think any game could be improved by having a dedicated button to make your guy cuss.

There was that dick marchinko game, I don't think all the swearing helped it much.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

The Skeleton King posted:

The problem and reason I disagree with it being easy to understand is that every time I think about the plot of 13 I can feel my blood pressure rise because of how badly simple core plot of "gods controlling fate" is done. What you are saying is far too straightforward to accurately represent what the plot of 13 is like.

The plot of 13 is like having a stroke. It is easy to understand that you had a stroke after the fact, but during the stroke you are have no idea what is happening, only that you are scared, confused, in pain, and just want it to stop.

I can't find the stupid video that explained all the gods stuff, but I was talking entirely about that, which is pretty straightforwardly "sad gods do stupid things, get people to do stupid things." I have very pointedly not mentioned anything you do in the game, because a) it probably doesn't matter to the plot much, and b) I could not possibly care what those people are doing. There's a reason I didn't say it was a good game, after all.

On the other hand, while looking for that stupid video, I found this, which is hilarious:

quote:

The development of the three games was started at the same time and we gathered to try and find a common platform to stand on and try to build from. But since then, we've been working completely independently of each other. Each game is evolving in its own direction and take place in separate worlds with their own main characters. There exists basically no cooperation between the different teams. I wouldn't even want to claim that we communicate with each other.
—Motomu Toriyama

I wonder if there's a delightful quote like that, but about this single game.

Gruckles posted:

The theme song made entirely of his swearing and insulting one liners was pure art.

Yeah it is.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

Man, the wiki pieces together an entire story, somehow. It's a stupid story, but it's there. It also seems to be ginned together from all the DLC, a movie, an anime, and gently caress knows what else. What a shitshow.

As an aside, holy poo poo some of these people have some incredibly star wars rear end names, especially some empire dudes who are apparently running the outskirts of your country. Also, apparently that entire wasteland was your country, too. Who knew?

I'm also like 90% certain that none of those people have shown up in game for more than about 5 seconds. One showed up in that assassin dlc, apparently. All these people that should've been antagonists, and they barely exist.

Switching gears, since I've been happily spoiling myself on this idiocy, what's the name of that place with the gate that they ran into a robot and got their asses kicked? I wanna see what fascinating and probably very important to the plot (and thus never mentioned) details are hanging out there.

I swear, more of the plot was tossed into loading screens than cutscenes.

Tenebrais posted:

Has the game made any indication at all that people are disappearing in order for "daemons are people!" to explain anything?

Apparently the japanese name for them is "corpse," which is a pretty good hint that is 100% not here.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

It's a Multi-media Experience

Except you know, when competently done, the individual parts each tell a complete story, rather than like, a third each of two different stories in one.

"According to developers, one can enjoy Kingsglaive: Final Fantasy XV without playing Final Fantasy XV, and vice versa. Experiencing both tales, however, ensures a deeper level of appreciation for them, as they are intended to complement one another."

I guess that's technically true, in that you could just barrel through the game holding down X without worrying about what the hell's going on. I'd ask if they seriously believed that, but this is the same production that decided that anyone electing to play the easy side of this story would only do so after they'd already gone through it normally, and thus that there's no reason to let you switch back. Like, they were already having you stare at security cameras, they could've shown the dude doing something, instead of 'ahaha, I'm evil and now I've cut off this dude's arm.' Well, at least whitesuit guy didn't just get owned off camera, I guess. Good for him! I guess since you're not going to go back I can say: except that's not true, because apparently you fight demon whitesuit guy as noctis, so he wasn't dead when his robot/demon/whatever arm got chopped off. So no, he still got killed off camera.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

The future of interactive storytelling is a 2 hour movie and 2.5 hours of anime as required reading. And then not bothering to tell the story.

It's the modern version of "the story is explained in a few paragraphs in the game manual," except there's absolutely no excuse for it anymore.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

Imagine if Ignis insisted on calling recipes "recettes."

Come to think of it, I guess he won't be coming up with any of those anymore? Haven't seen a campsite in an entire continent.

Anyway, isn't this whole thing a giant elevator shaft or something? Let's assume that Emperor notademon just had his throne on its own elevator, to move it to the most dramatic position. That's fun, and god knows this game could use it. Especially since I looked at a bit before the linked bit in that playthrough.

Apparently being notcis means suddenly this is a survival horror game. With stealth and chancellor hobo springing utterly pointless traps on you that are [shockingly] resolved by heading down the corridor towards the exclamation point. Oh, also he would not shut up for a goddamn minute. Gosh, I bet that would be vaguely menacing or something, if it wasn't just 40 minutes of him yammering on while you're trying not to get murdered by skeletons and goblins.

They really should have split their grand vision into like, five different drat games. Or, since they're apparently going back and filling the gaps with dlc, they should have just made it episodic and release actual finished chapters, if they couldn't bear to compromise their grand vision.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

Night10194 posted:

I gaurangoddamntee you that if the plot had just been 'boyband goes on a road trip' without any of this nonsense people would have preferred it.

That would've been better, but it wouldn't be Final Fantasy.

Although to be honest, "bachelor party" would be a pretty excellent way to end the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

Like everything else in this game, if you had any reason to give a poo poo about this world, "I was in geode jail for ten years and everything's gone to poo poo" would be a pretty neat thing.

Like everything else in this game, eh. Whatever.

Also, I can't believe prompto turned into richard hammond with a gun.

• Locked thread