Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
FFXV is very cool and good but drat does it have a lot of issues. Gonna be a hell of a thing to watch a crew like this battle with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Protip: holding Square will force you into cautious walking mode, in which jumping is disabled and X will always interact.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Drink every time a detail comes up that you'd only know if you'd watched Kingsglaive: Final Fantasy XV or Brotherhood: Final Fantasy XV.

Of course you can't know this so you'd better drink continuously, just to be safe.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I don't think the supplemental media is really very necessary; it does a good job being supplemental. We already know that the four bros are all very good friends and Brotherhood will expand on that a bit. Likewise, Kingsglaive goes into some more detail on a fairly important event that happens off camera and a certain McGuffin but it's far from required viewing.

The only really important thing that the game glosses over (though our LP crew did pick up on it) is that the marriage Noct journeys to enter into is a political one, and is a term of the peace treaty proposed by Niflheim.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

JT Jag posted:

My understanding is that at the beginning of this game, Lucis and Nifelheim are sort of in a cold war situation after a lengthy period of conflict, complete with their borders being completely blockaded from one another, but they're feeling out one another for peace. Noctis is being sent to marry someone who is currently a Nifelheim Imperial tributary as part of a peace treaty, and simultaneously a peace summit between Lucis and Nifelheim is being held.

This is basically spot on in every way that matters.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

DO IT TO IT posted:

Man, it's kinda crazy to think about the fact that a game in development for a decade was rushed out the door or ran out of time. It's not surprising, though.

It's not entirely accurate to say the game was in development for 10 years, rather, it was in development hell for that time (longer, really, since by 2006 the game would had to have been in pre-production for long enough for them to produce that trailer). Squeenix's legendary ineptitude at project management caused a lot of languishing under Nomura, who was both busy working on things he cared about more (Kingdom Hearts) and not good at actually getting anything done. After the nightmare that was XIII proper and the implosion and subsequent incredibly successful reboot of XIV, the writing was on the wall, Nomura was booted from Versus XIII, the game was rebranded, and Tabata was brought in with one mission; just loving ship the thing. Then, and only then, did development proper begin, giving us about three years of actual development. Gamers did not really care about the last delays - what's two months after ten years? - but internally it must have been infuriating. It was absolutely the right call though, and while the game could have used even more time for its own sake, that's almost always true, and this seems like the best compromise between the project and corporate, who, lest we forget, were probably pretty impatient after wrangling two Florence & the Machine tracks, a tie in car, and a themed menu at Jamie Oliver's flagship restaurant.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Yeah it's a bit blink-and-you'll-miss-it but Ignis says something like "It looks like our money's no good out here", and Prompto at one point says "What's a... gil?".

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Good times.

Free advice:

1) The problem you're having with block/parry seems to be - slight guesswork, but - you're tapping the block button instead of holding it. The prompt just means someone is targeting you with a parryable attack; you need to be holding block if/when that attack connects to get the parry prompt. Generally, you want to be going for spot dodges (tap dodge at the last second) on everything except parryable attacks, especially once you upgrade the dodge a bit.

2) Prompto is taking lovely blown-out photos because the thing you changed from "Random" to "Often" is his lovely overexposure filter, not the actual frequency of photos. You will get more filters as he levels up in Photography, and you'll probably want to turn all of these filters off or make them infrequent because most of them suck (IMO, YMMV).

3) Save photos. You can save up to 150 photos. Please save lots of photos. Saved photos live in your save file, not your console storage, but if you want to save a photo to storage just hit Share and back out.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Wiseblood posted:

Also kind of annoying you can't even accept that high level hunt to keep it in your log for later. Once you've leveled up enough you have to remember that there was a hunt in the starting area you couldn't do earlier and go back to start it.

Yeah, the system for accepting hunts is a local maxima of bullshit.

Every area has its own collection of hunts, and they are all gated by hunting level. You can see hunts that are one level higher than you, but you can't accept them. You can also have only one active hunt at a time. There is no way to remotely check what hunts are available, where.

To clear every hunt, you will have to constantly be flitting around between diners to see if new stuff has cropped up every time you go up a hunting level, because you'll quickly wind up in situations where everywhere only has one or two hunts to do.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Demicol posted:

Also the king just loans his magic powers to people, I guess this explains how only Noct can craft/draw magic and he just gives them to his friends to use in neat little balls.

This part is kinda weird. Kingsglaives explicitly are able to warp, but can't pull weapons from hammerspace. Noct's pals, meanwhile, can pull weapons from hammerspace (only two each though) but can't warp.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
You can buy an accessory that increases the rate at which dirt and bloodstains accumulate on the characters. You can't stop it from all washing off after sleeping.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Bocc Kob posted:

Noct's alt outfit looking like a knock-off Aiden Pearce is really helping the "cobbled together mess of nonsense" vibe this game gives off.

Oh my god I'm not the only one who sees this!

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
FFXV could be made ten times more enjoyable just by changing interface poo poo.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

RareAcumen posted:

Is 'not being able to have more than one mission at a time' also counted as interface poo poo?

You can have several missions at a time with only one being active, but only one Hunt on your list of missions.

The hunts thing is a bit of an odd case because the notion behind it is sound; hunts trigger enemy spawn changes of which some are mutually exclusive so it makes sense to only have one at a time. What is bullshit however, is that there is no central repository in a world in which there is a central hunting society.

Honestly hunts would also need to be changed more fundamentally in order to really be not annoying but there absolutely should be a way to know at all times what diners have what hunts available.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

oath2order posted:

You can pretty much pinpoint it as the moment SE began ever so slowly correcting course, a process that is still ongoing.

I'd speculate the magic point was a bit before that, at the moment that interview was published in which Square Enix made the fateful comment about there being enough content cut from FFXIII to make a whole other game - a comment that betrayed a staggering lack of direction - at which point a lot of higher ups suddenly sat up and thought "what the gently caress are we doing", and began the soul-searching that would create the mindset that would later react to the implosion of FFXIV by throwing the whole thing on a fire.

Remember that by 2011 this needed to have progressed to the point where Lightning Returns could be proposed and greenlit.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Oh boy! It sure is fun to go through all that without having seen Kingsglaive.

Cliff notes:
  • The peace treaty was a ruse, obviously, to give Niflheim an opportunity to ambush Insomnia.
  • The Empire's goal was to steal the Crystal (the source of Insomnia's magic) along with the Ring of the Lucii (which houses the spirits of the Lucian Kings of Old (basically gods) and supposedly can confer their power upon the worthy)
  • Noct and Luna were supposed to marry in the Crown City, with Luna arriving with the empire during the treaty ceremonies. This is why people think they are dead.
  • (Regis saw this coming, and lied to Noct that he was to travel to Altissia. This explains Noct &co's unceremonious departure and why Dino can blackmail them... but the idea of them being incognito is admittedly a bit of a stretch on the game's part tbqh)
  • Plucky Kingsglaive soldier Nyx (pictured) helps Luna escape the city with the Ring.
  • Two people try to harness the Ring's power: some guy named Ravus who gets his arm burned off by the displeased spirits, and Nyx, who bargains with the Kings of Old for one day of superpowers at the cost of his life
  • The Empire successfully steals the Crystal
  • Hey wait I'm sure another character we've run into was in this film somewhere...

Fedule fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jan 4, 2017

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
What's supposed to happen is dropships spawn every time you cross certain boundaries.

This, uh, doesn't seem to work most of the time and the game just shits dropships all over you. This is fun, tbqh, all the way up until the Magitek Assassins start showing up. Then it's not fun anymore. Until you ram into the level cap with prejudice.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
A much more important detail about the Carnival DLC (or, rather, the patch that enables it) is that it adds the ability to take photos whenever you want.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

topiKal posted:

Not to mention that every country inexplicably uses the same currency (I know this is a common video game thing but that doesn't make it less stupid)

It's even dumber than that. Throwaway dialogue at the beginning of the game establishes that the Crown City is the only place on the planet that does not use Gil, and I guess it must be extremely difficult to get through exchange because Noctis and friends were only given a tiny bit of it and what you start the game with is all that's left of it after paying Cid to repair the car after it breaks down half a mile into the journey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
The DLC's version of Battle on the Big Bridge seemed fine to me... although it kinda strikes me as being more of an OCRemix by someone who's a big fan of Keichi Okabe than a composition that fits in musically with the rest of FFXV.

• Locked thread