Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Appearntly a ton of stuff was cut from this game's plot. And another part was turned into a movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Rarity posted:

I want to know more about Noctis's home kingdom. How lovely must your country be if you send your prince on a diplomatic trip to another country in a broken down car with just one bodyguard, a chef and the Official Snapchat Host and without even a debit card to get some extra money out? Is it one of those fake countries like Sealand or Luxembourg?

It just got the poo poo kicked out of it in a war, they are super broke right now.

From what I can tell these were the steps.

Noctis Kingdom loses war badly, but manages to secure peace treaty. Part of treaties terms are that Noctis has to marry into one of the Empire's vassal states. While the final meeting about the treaty is about to happen Noct is sent to Tenebreae the vassal state to get ready for his wedding there. Noct's car breaks down on the way.

Also fun fact. Regis is latin for "of the King" so King Regis is "King of the King."

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Dec 13, 2016

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Regalingualius posted:

That's weird, though: the impression I got from that lore painting at the start was that Nifelheim was still very actively at war with the protagonists' country, King King the King's barrier was the only thing keeping them out, and Noctis was being sent to marry the princess of some neighboring third party kingdom. Not that they'd already gotten their asses whooped even with the barrier.

...There's going to be even more of this kind of contradictory stuff, isn't there.

The Barrier is keeping them out of the capital. But it was the only thing keeping them safe according to the lore thing at the start. Appearntly they were getting crushed everywhere else. But now the Empire is agreeing to peace. The kingdoms coffers are likely all being spent on helping the rest of the kingdom recover.

Also yes this game was rushed out the door. The events of the Movie Kingsglaive were going to be in the game originally but were cut.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Appearntly they got almost 3 years of actually working on it.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
The marriage is still a good deal in the future. Noct is more or less heading there ahead of time from what I can tell. They are not in a super big hurry.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Fedule posted:

Oh boy! It sure is fun to go through all that without having seen Kingsglaive.

Cliff notes:
  • The peace treaty was a ruse, obviously, to give Niflheim an opportunity to ambush Insomnia.
  • The Empire's goal was to steal the Crystal (the source of Insomnia's magic) along with the Ring of the Lucii (which houses the spirits of the Lucian Kings of Old (basically gods) and supposedly can confer their power upon the worthy)
  • Noct and Luna were supposed to marry in the Crown City, with Luna arriving with the empire during the treaty ceremonies. This is why people think they are dead.
  • (Regis saw this coming, and lied to Noct that he was to travel to Altissia. This explains Noct &co's unceremonious departure and why Dino can blackmail them... but the idea of them being incognito is admittedly a bit of a stretch on the game's part tbqh)
  • Plucky Kingsglaive soldier Nyx (pictured) helps Luna escape the city with the Ring.
  • Two people try to harness the Ring's power: some guy named Ravus who gets his arm burned off by the displeased spirits, and Nyx, who bargains with the Kings of Old for one day of superpowers at the cost of his life
  • The Empire successfully steals the Crystal
  • Hey wait I'm sure another character we've run into was in this film somewhere...

We met the villain of Kingsglaive very very briefly at the start of the game with the King. He had like maybe one or two lines.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

JT Jag posted:

I always interpreted that the ones that are called "Imperial Soldiers" are people and the ones that are called "Magitek Soldiers" and are several levels higher than the other enemies are robots

Nope they are both robots.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Just to tell you that Radio that was interrupted was saying that Ravus. (Luna's brother and vaguely menacing guy.) Was being executed for what happened with Leviathan. Aka a guy built up as a notable villain is being killed offscreen.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Also Kingsglaive cannibalizing the game is a massive issue.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Bethamphetamine posted:

Since you're heading into the empire, I'll be helpful and give you a refresher on the key players. Don't worry, there are no spoilers here. This is from a cutscene in chapter 3. Remember how important it was to be introduced to some of these characters in chapter 3?

The Emperor

The Entourage

From left to right: dead, dead?, who the gently caress are you, Aranaea

I think the first guy is maybe not dead. But I also don't think we ever seen him again.

I know we don't see Who the gently caress are you/Verstael again in the main game despite supplementary material stating. He is Prompto's dad. Which is later only elaborated on in DLC released much later.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
So to make everything clear.

The Emprie was making soldiers powered by Daemons. Offscreen the Imperial capital has now been overwhelmed by Daemons and everyone there is now ether dead or locked inside their house hoping they won't get killed by Daemons. Meaning that the Empire was pretty much destroyed off screen. They are no longer even guarding the MacGuffin Crystal or anything anymore, it's just filled with Daemons.

Ravus the brother in law who is commander of the Imperial forces. He has met with you a few times and sort of fought you once. He hated you and seemed to be planned to be the rival. As he also apparently had his own agenda and plan to take over. He also has one of the Swords you need. Appearntly he changed his mind about disliking you and his evil plans off screen and has decided to help you instead, so he plans to give you the sword in the capital. Also it appears he is taking the fall for Levithan destroying that town and the Empire has sentenced him to death.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
So everything with Gladio and Ignis was added later. In the original you just find Ravus's corpse with no information how he died.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Also I think you skipped the entire chunk of the game were you play as Noct and find Ravus's body and the Sword. And were you fight that Empereor Deamon. (Were Noct kills him.) And the only clue in the original game that that daemon was the Emperor is that after you kill it, you hear a speech from the Emperor.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

turtlecrunch posted:

I think the Emperor had a total of 2 cutscenes in 50 billion hours of gameplay before he turned into a demon. :thunk:
No he had one cutscene. He was already turning into a Daemon when we saw him again in that recording. (Which once again was not in the original game.)

goatface posted:

I don't think he was that demon, I think he was just possessing it. Probably.

Daemon. Deay-mon. Digimon.
No that was the Emperor also he is dead now. He was killed when Noctis fights him which is part of a sequence that was skipped by mistake.

But it's kind of amazing what the Noctis section is like. He gets stalked by the Emperor Daemon and has to fight it off repeatedly, until he finds Ravus's corpse and gets his dads sword. After which he fights and kills the Emperor Daemon which rants about how it got the crystal and was great and stuff.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Mar 9, 2018

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Sydin posted:

Ardyn just sort of casually tossing some printer paper on top the dead guy we never even really got to know while the dramatic music swells may potentially be the funniest thing in the game so far.
To think on Ravus he was originally billed as the evil rival. With this being one of the iconic images of the game. Him and and Noctis standing by annihilate one another.

His role in the actual game. Kind of small and pathetic.

Gamerofthegame posted:

you know

if nothing else

ardyn's va is pretty nice

I do indeed like Ardyn's voice. Of the characters in this game he has always been fairly entertaining.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Momomo posted:

I'm pretty sure at some point they also mention that the soldiers you've been fighting were manufactured people or something, don't they? It was essentially the weakest attempt to take away any morality in killing them by the dozens.

Well I think we knew that MT Troopers were manufactured People with Daemons shoved in them.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Nihilarian posted:

You can accidentally skip the part where you murder emporer daemon dude? Are you for real?

And the part were you find Ravus's corpse and get the sword.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
The main issue I have with the game is that a ton of stuff in game was turned into a movie instead. Like the Empires Top General who kills the king. Dies in the movie, as well Ravus losing his arm trying to take the power of the Kings for himself.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I mixed up events. You don't kill the Emperor as Noctis alone. You just killed the Emperor as the last fight you had.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
But it's so random in the game that Prompto pops in and says. "Yo I am actually an artificial human of the same type as the Magitek Troopers."

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Bruceski posted:

More like he pops in and says "want to know what's going on? Buy the DLC!"

Yeah but this was in the game far before the DLC came out.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
But yeah there are two events in this episode that would have been major events in most other games. But here are pretty much footnotes that are not even elaborated on.

First Prompto being revealed as a clone, robot thing.
Second. The Battle with the Emperor and his death.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

quote:

Most men are born; but some are created for a special purpose—and Prompto is one such man. Artificially generated from the genes of mad scientist Verstael Besithia, he was initially intended to serve as a test subject for the empire's magitek experiments. The unstable scientist's plans wet awry, however, when a Lucian spy operating on a hot tip absconded with baby Prompto and entrusted him to a foster family in Insomnia.

It's kind of amazing that this really important thing about Prompto was revealed in a guidebook or something and never brought up in the main game until the DLC.

On Verstael you may remember him as the guy that sounds like Emperor Palatine from Star Wars who showed up a grand total of one time with the rest of the empire leaders.

He shows up in early FFXV trailers so I assume he was originally planned to be more important rather then a guy who shows up once then never again.

The guy who Gladio and Ignis are wearing the armor of, Glauca fared similarly poorly. Showing up several times in promotional material for FFXV as a scary Darth Vaderish dude. But then he got removed from the game and only shows up once in the opening of this game (out of armor) and in the movie were he kills the king and is killed in the climax. (Or he may have survived and turned into a Daemon it's not clear.)

Edit oh I missed it. Glauca also killed Luna's mother and Gladio's father too. More reason for characters in the game to have beef with him, yet he is a killed in an unrelated side event in a movie.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Mar 14, 2018

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Danaru posted:

I swear to god my brain refuses to take in any of the story. Didn't Prompto get replaced by a Snatcher at some point? I legit thought for a minute that Prompto scanning his barcode was outing himself as a Snatcher, followed by the party all agreeing that Snatcher-Prompto was cooler than regular Prompto. I know it's not the case because that'd actually be interesting, something this storyline refuses to be.

Ardyn pretended to be him at one point and tossed him off a train.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

goatface posted:

If we found him hanging there with broken legs and half his face hosed up with road rash because hitting the ground at speed loving sucks, that would be cool.

No he would be in much worse shape. He fell off a cliff at high speed.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
And so Ravus's zombie is put down and Noctis gets trapped in a crystal.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Sydin posted:

So maybe I just wasn't paying attention but did we get any sense of what Noctis actually learned or improved in the 10 years he was floating in the crystal? Like is he smarter now somehow, or stronger? Because when he got attacked by demons after landing at the resort place he was just kinda swinging around his dinky sword like he was before. What exactly has he gained that will help him fulfill his destiny?

Well he has the insta kill ring. But the part that taught the players how to use it was skipped by the game.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Fun fact one of the first things revealed about this games troubles was that Ardyn's final form ended up getting cut shortly before release. He was supposed to have a transformation.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I can only assume that that final scene in that strange space area was were Ardyn was going to take on his true Daemon Form and you would have had the final boss fight.

But yeah it kind of shocks me that of all things to get cut from the the game, the actual final boss fight was one of them. Because of this Ardyn is the only Final Fantasy boss that does not have a second form or phase.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

The Skeleton King posted:

Berseria's plot starts off pretty decent but gradually becomes shittier over time, in true long-as-gently caress-rpg fashion.

Also it has that problem where loving your siblings way too much is not a thing that people outside of Japan think is cool or good.

I disagree pretty heavily with this view. Other then the sibling thing, but that does not happen in that game.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

FeyerbrandX posted:

Wait, Gollum was an elf? I thought he was a hobbit?

It's actually Emperor Iedolas.

I not L

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Bruceski posted:

Oh, I assumed it was a capitalization screwup. My mistake.

Not a big deal, like no one remembered the dudes name. He was just the Emperor or that guy that turned into a Demon and acted crazy.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
There is an Episode Ardyn coming.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

topiKal posted:

Nah we decided we would be done after completing whatever DLC is already out whenever we finished it. Also I'm not paying any more money for this game, I already feel bad enough about buying that stupid season pass.

So why are you ignoring the Ignis DLC?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Yeah it must have just not downloaded. You own it, but it did not auto download.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Kase moch posted:

As much fun as it has been to watch your suffering, it's time to put this dog down. Everyone here knows Ignis' DLC will add nothing to the story and only prolong our misery.

You can change the ending

• Locked thread