Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

I look forward for the next 5 months of this, until it suddenly changes to... I dunno, OwlBoy on April 1st?

Then I'll look forward to that too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Cory in the Blouse posted:

I can't believe this, is this real life?

I think its just fantasy.

Now I'm really hoping beyond hope that they break out some Bohemian Rhapsody.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Also press and hold R1 to lock on. It took me way too long to realize this myself. Especially since I think most lockon systems are just tap once to do it, then again to break lockon or target something new.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

American Express is on some store windows.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

I'm guessing the reason they justify the limit to one hunt at a time is that there are several quests that overlap in the same area.

Of course in such a huge world there's no reason why they couldn't just have them move 50 yards down the road, or cross the street.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Can't wait you guys to get the reward for when you finish the map subquest, and put the map pieces you get to find another map.

Then find its a matryoshka doll.

Of course the final quest is to find all halves of it spread over the whole county.

e: Also, enjoy trying to remember which of the 12 menus a certain feature is on! You can summon the car (or more usefully teleport to the car), but its in the map menu (R3). Then there's the options menu, which only have some options on the options button. There's the R2 menu to use items. Then there's the main menu, which is meaningless beyond equipping poo poo and the Sphere Grid.

FeyerbrandX fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Dec 25, 2016

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Honestly the best way around the stupid "one hunt at a time" garbage is (and it still isn't foolproof)

-Rest at the Winnebego or motel or whatever near a diner.
-Look at the locations on the hunts, pick one that shows up multiple times (probably 25% of them do that).
-Drive to that location, kick some rear end.
-Fast travel to last rest point, cash in and select another hunt.
-Fast travel to car, kick more rear end.

It's really not perfect, and hopefully it doesn't cross loading zones... The downside of that is that Gladio doesn't learn to pick up the larger, better bottles of poo poo laying around as fast as he would if you ran around like an idiot (like I did for the first couple hours), and he just picks up tiny useless bottles of potions and junk.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Zenostein posted:

Also I'd probably consider watching a FF15 musical, rather than a movie and some anime.

What about a movie based on the hit musical about the boys out of Insomia?

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Part that, part "the last heir and only thing stopping us from De Jure and De Facto rule of that country is down there is either helping our citizens live a better life, or just trying to get his rocks off for a reporter, let's kill 'em!"

That being said that seems brutal, I remember maybe having 2 drop ships popping up in rapid succession, but not that badly.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

That was one thing that I noticed, that all the hunts are just "go and kill this thing" maybe the hunt name has an interesting hint of story. Everything poster is "kill it for destroying the habitat" Throwing fire-charged pokeballs at them and scorching the habitat while doing so is optional.

But yeah, no real context.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

The powerpuff girls were made with chemical x. Obviously cup noodles contain Chemical Y.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

I don't think Blink would be that effective, at least during trash mob fights where 15 attacks are going off all at once. Congrats, you dodged 5 attacks for chip damage, get ready for another 10 to stack up. Even big daemons or bosses have combo attacks where Blink if its just one or two shots wouldn't help too much.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Astrofig posted:

Also more or less pointless; it doesn't appear to have a win condition nor does it seem to offer anything as a prize for beating the levels.

I thought that I read that there was. But of course they realized no one would care about it so they didn't even bother to make a cheevo for it or anything.

Think the grand prize was some key item for bragging rights.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah, the sidequest long long ago says "go to this place." Iris and her road trip direct you towards this. The game really loves this area and demands your attention for some reason.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Ometeotl posted:

...Wait, wasn't there supposed to be a boss there? I chose egg and remember fighting one...

I remember it showing up as a hunt after clearing the volcano the first time around, nothing there at the start

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

topiKal posted:

https://www.target.com/bp/Wine%20Cube%99

Yes it's a literal cube
No it's not a gallon it's 3L (so almost)
Yes it's kinda bad
No you shouldn't

Target: Expect more, drink more.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

The next quest in Dino's line... :getin:

Enjoy the fuckpit.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Let see if I can hear that low frequency accordion buzz in the music that sounds like my phone vibrating through the earbuds...

Yep, so the next 30 episodes are going to be driving me crazy.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

That's odd, I don't think the gondolas are locked by the dress, because I remember not finding the dress until much later.

But yes, it was infuriating that there are places blocked from just walking to it.

Also normal fast travel is disabled, if I remember right.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

I suggest drinking more. It... probably won't help, but it may prevent further pain.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Bethamphetamine posted:

I'm just kidding, this game is like an attempt at the Marvel Cinematic Universe if it was rolled out by somebody with a traumatic brain injury.

So DC or Universal :v: I guess DC because at least they've strung together a couple of movies that absolutely had no business being attached, wheras Universal gave up after the Mummy.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Gorilla Salad posted:

The guys did show something called the arena for a second on the map, I'm guessing that's the game's fight club for people who want to money, loot and to level up without running around the incredibly pretty but sterile game world.

You obviously have played a video game before.

That can't be said for the guys who made this game.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Squarely Circle posted:

Roughly how much main plot is left? Like a third? Half? It all just blurs together after a while.

Probably a third to a quarter. Since you're on a train now, you're basically railroaded into mainlining the plot, unless you use the dog to time travel. But it will probably feel more like half the game, or somehow, impossible as it is, twice the size of the game.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

The Ultimate Weapons - I honestly have no clue, since they're garbage and decimate your health if you attack with them.
The Summons - More useful, technically those guys are supposed to recognize your Kingship....nessocity... though I don't think they've done that in years. Or maybe they did? Not like your dad ever told any of these idiots anything.
The Ring - This is important but I don't think the game tells you why until it actually matters (surprise, surprise). Right now its just the "these empire jerks want it so we need it just to be spiteful jerks stiggnit to teh mans!"

e:

Tenebrais posted:

There's a big scene about summoning a gigantic belligerent dragon in the middle of the city, the city gets destroyed by water but actually everything is okay except Ignis is blind now (it's tragic coz he once said he likes seeing things, that was his entire personality and backstory) and Lunafreya gets shanked by Doctor Who in a patched-in scene to justify the fact she was supposed to die there.

I always thought he was Fantasy Neil Gaiman, but yeah. This guys the Mirror Universe Fourth Doctor. Doctor Whuh? Or maybe Chaotic Evil Willie Wonka... AKA normal Willie Wonka.

FeyerbrandX fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Feb 1, 2018

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Bocc Kob posted:

Is there actually any way in-game to learn about any of the world? At least Mass Effect had that weak codex, this is just loading screens if you're "lucky" enough to get one that isn't game mechanics that also aren't mentioned during actual play.

There are random books around the world that you can pixel hunt and then jump in front of two or three times before you read them properly. But you only look at them, they don't end up in your inventory or a data log or anything for future review or anything.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

I can't believe Tom Hanks from The Polar Express let himself go... and selling weapons to anyone who stumbles up... and started being voiced by Steve Blum.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Zenostein posted:

Incidentally, was he the guy with the sword he never used that was definitely not the missing one from a king's tomb?

That's not the sword from the tomb, that's just Noct's dad's sword. The stolen sword is in the fuckpit. I don't think they stepped foot in the fuckpit, and I'm not about to blame them for not dealing with that shithole.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Love how those soldiers are just all snap to grid, copied and pasted

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

1 - going to the empire to do the end of disc shocking twist end this once and for all.
2 - Super Saiyan Noct is not gated behind 100% collection. As for why the decided the absolutely had to go into the cesspit I don't know.
3 - Ardyn is just a loving gigantic troll.
4 - There's a... 'reason'. Its spoilery though but I'm sure if you think about it you'll come up with a much much better twist than the game pulls.
5 - Just consider it a plot hole, if you want to be kind. They honestly should have set the scene at sunset or something, since they were already saying the nights are getting longer.
5a - Also, the empire isn't making demons, they're making their soldiers out of demons.
6 - off scene tragedy.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

We're in Tenebrae right now, bask in its glory. And sesspit was on the way, so there wasn't a real detour, but how they knew to go mucking around, or why the abandoned mine is still an actual train stop is a mystery.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

I'd say X is one that you should get people to at least agree that its good for the combat system.

Otherwise If you type in BESTFF in Playonline, it'd probably say IX.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Lunethex posted:

If there's anyone here who's beaten the game, how much time do you estimate is left in the main plot?

3-4 hours but that was at near max level after doing every dumb quest . So it may be a bit more for them.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Kaasen posted:

There's a section coming up that I heard they changed in a patch so I'm looking forward to seeing what it's like now.

I'm not sure it changed in the patch, or that they just added a side scene in the extras that "explains" things. But its been awhile since I played so we can only hope it was fixed.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Danaru posted:

I'm waiting for Kenny Crow's heroic sacrifice accompanied by a church choir

You'll have to wait a drat long time. He's the final boss, not Chancellor Hobo or Ifrit who make sense.

Kenny's waitin for ya. Such a subtle, creepy statement to leave in the game, there has to be a reason for it.

e: Kind of want to make a video with the Saw theme music to this, but :effort:

FeyerbrandX fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Mar 2, 2018

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Night10194 posted:

The other important question: So the Empire has been trying to kill Gods, for reasons, and steal crystals, for reasons. This is apparently related to night getting longer and more and more frequent demon attacks, up to killing the whole Empire off screen.

Is there a reason they thought this was going to work out? What endless prosperity did they think was out there if they did this thing? Why is anyone in this stupid story doing what they're doing?

There is an (almost) logical reason... I think, at least I can make it even if the game didn't try.

The crystal protected Insomnia from demons, but basically just them. FYGM is probably engraved on the Ring of Lucil or whatever. So the Empire, being as far away from Insomnia as can be at least on the map we have, is hosed. So they decided to make lemons into lemonade, and also demons into hell robots after they ran out of lemons but demons never run out in their horrible dark shithole (except when they finally did run out of them and had to send Tittydragoon into some random far flung dungeon rather than just wait for sunset.)

So with their army they go and take the crystal so that they could make their own magic demonproof wall with blackjack and hookers, but can't get the crystal to do its things, so they just have blackjack since the hookers have standards and don't want to go to demon town.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

I haven't seen Kingsglaive or anything besides Brotherhood, so no idea if this is in that, the Ultimania, the wikia, or anything else. So what I said was half me trying to justify this, a quarter of stuff that was said but glossed over (dont' ask me where it was, probably in one of those dumb books or a radio in the middle of the woods 30 hours back or something), and a quarter of things they haven't seen yet.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Also going back to the infodump they patched into Shiva months ago: Way to just go "gently caress that incredibly detailed, albiet :spergin: as gently caress fan theory" In an incredibly dumb, lazy way. "Ifrit was cool, boned Shiva, then became not cool" doesn't compare at all to the idea someone came up by taking their Philosophy and Psychology minors way too seriously for the bonus dungeon.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

melodicwaffle posted:

someone on reddit made a really long post desperately trying to connect a postgame dungeon's architecture to this game's "lore" about ifrit and the other summons (but mostly ifrit).

it is indeed stupid and uninteresting

Compared to normal content. Compared to this game its a Doctoral Thesis. Still has better motivations for what we're doing than "Ifrit doesn't like humans anymore"

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Sydin posted:

The Final Hangover XV

Please don't let them make an FFXV-2, let alone a FFXV-3....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Kuvo posted:

We might be recording again Soon™. Can someone give us a hopefully spoiler free heads up on the point of no return w/r/t sidequest stuff?

No point of no return since you have experienced Time Dog. He'll be back at some point soonish.

• Locked thread