Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Zoe posted:

And was Luna's brother really just executed off camera after being included in cut scenes where the plot gestured ineptly in the direction of him mattering somehow?

Its the same thing that happened the last time the radio told you someone died (Noct and Luna after the most complicated attempt to get on a boat since loving Operation Overlord.)

I think its just bad translation this time, since the newspaper says he's sentenced to capital punishment. I mean I'd assume the Evil Empire would mean about 1/10th of a second between sentence and execution, but maybe they have a good and robust justice system with multiple judicial reviews and appeals before execution?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

The Skeleton King posted:

Is this a joke? "We are pets" is the most incomprehensible summation of the most incomprehensible plot I have ever seen. I don't think anyone who worked on 13 ever knew what the plot was.

Why can't the plot of this game just be "empire stole my kingdom, now I gotta get the magic weapons and the power of the gods so I can kick the fuckers outta my home, also this homeless guy is a huge prick"

Because that isn't ~~DEEP~~ and ~~NUANCED~~ and suitable for 20 page internet essays.

Though then again Bitch Took My Skull is a good enough plot, so what do I know?

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Momomo posted:

Everything else, like the war between cocoon and pulse was just pointless dressing.

The war between cocoon and pulse is nothing compared to that inexplicable and stupid scene where everyone decides to join in the Pope's traditional NASCAR Coronation Jubilee on their transformers.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

After which he fights and kills the Emperor Daemon which rants about how it got the crystal and was great and stuff.

I can't believe they elected Gollum Emperor of Mordor.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

I think its during Noctus's running around the Umbrella Lab, so for you its obviously lost forever if I'm right.

The shocking truth of the Demons origin and why the nights are getting longer.

It's loving dumb even for this game.

Finally, if you played the game before the Gladio side was released, the starting screen gives an option to replay this sequence.

After the touching "I hear Noct!" and they run to him, it goes to a "Go Play Episode Gladio!" splash screen.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Kuvo posted:

you might as well just go ahead and spoil this because we didn't get it and we're never going back

It's practically loving midoclorians.

Some eeeeeevil plankton or bacteria that blot out the sun, get into people and turn them into demons.

I just went to the wiki just to make sure I didn't imagine that, but nope. That's basically what they say in the first sentence after the spoiler warning.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

You might not be able to find a video, it's an umbrella lab memo or audio log or something. Best of luck to you and your future endeavors, I still regret that I remember this first hand from a year ago.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Kase moch posted:

Y'all're pretty mad at this game, but y'all'd've been even madder if you played before the sweet monster truck jumps got put in.

Now I'm mad that they didn't let you have the dramatic, emotional race to through the tunnel with the monster truck.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Zenostein posted:

One showed up in that assassin dlc, apparently. All these people that should've been antagonists, and they barely exist.

Switching gears, since I've been happily spoiling myself on this idiocy, what's the name of that place with the gate that they ran into a robot and got their asses kicked?

If you mean Loqi he's the first dumb jerk you blew up but is still somehow alive. He's still alive after the second time you blow him up too? I can't even remember if they've done that quest yet. But if they haven't its the only thing I will try and goad them into doing, because it is the only thing that may redeem the game a little bit.

I wasn't taking my own sarcastic advice to the person who decided to go down the abyss to find proof of the stupid demon twist and peeked at a couple pages (Loqi and Cor since they were both there and since they do basically nothing on screen should have short articles) and they don't say. Maybe if you look at a map if you zoom in enough you'll be able to read a place name in the "Not the Latin Alphabet, why do you spread this libel?" Fantasy character script you can find it?

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Can't remember, but does the Dadsword take HP to attack? I seem to remember it being the only Royal Arm that doesn't and therefore the best.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Picnic Princess posted:

I hate that. Imagine if there were some clever allusions to it throughout the rest of the game. Imagine it all clicking in at the reveal.

I can think of one (1) example of what you said.

In the AssCreed thing, a temporary and fleeting event.

Noct : "gently caress those loving dumb and stupid evil empty hollow scum buckets and all that are like them, those inhuman vile blights upon the world!"
Prompto: "Yeah..."
Noct: "What? Is something wrong?"
Prompto: "No, its just like you said"

Every other instance of fighting them in the base game
*headshot* *headshot* *gigantic circularsaw through a soldier's torso* "Yeah! Love the lighting!"

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

The eastern half of this continent/country/territory/neighborhood

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Cerebral Bore posted:

The trolling is just him having a grand ol' time.

Honestly, Chancellor Hobo being an rear end in a top hat because these jerks deserve it would be the best plot resolution. Ardyn is far and away the best character in this game.

It may or may not be because he has the least screentime aside from Emperor Gollum, Captain Rival, the other Imperial guy and Professor Toadlicker.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

i81icu812 posted:

What the hell is going on

Relax, we're almost done. Everything will make sense when its over*

*phhhhhhhhhhhhhhbbbbbbbbbhaaahahahahahahahahahaha yeah right.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

So basically. Ardyn's whole deal is that he violated the union contract and did the Oracle's job instead of the King's job and got grieved to hell and back.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Marogareh posted:

I find it funny that they actually bothered to model a dirty cup noodle hat.

I thought that drifting through the cosmos and being talked at by God in the mariachi outfit was the best choice. Then that dumb hat showed up and I see the error of my ways. Also that this game was even dumber than I remember it.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

^covers most of it, but the last part about going to Chancellor Dracula's Inverted Umbrella Lab also includes the part where Our Rival who we saw all of once face to face and never fought finally decided that we Were Worthy and was going to give us The Sword of Dad but got shived by Niel Gaiman wearing a Noct mask. Also demons are actually people with A Fantasy Bacterial Infection, the Emperor is basically Gollum and wanted the crystal for the sake of having it, even though he could do gently caress all with it besides chain it up. Then we fought Our Rival after his shiv wound got infected with demons.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Bruceski posted:

I assume the similar bit with Bahamut was added later too when people couldn't understand what the Hell happened.

I think that was always there, I got caught in the crystal slightly before the "easy mode / go buy Episode Gladio / skip the part of the game where Noct is trolled by Chancellor Hobo" patch came out and Bahamut was there telling you poo poo reeeeaaaallly slooooooly.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Bocc Kob posted:

It's pretty pointless though, because each character only ever portrays their default "emotion" regardless of what's happening around them. Could you imagine what the voice direction was like while they were recording this?

"Read the next line, please. :downs:"

"Alright, what's the tone for this one? :colbert:"

".. Tone? :confused:"

"You know, in the scene. My character was just blinded somehow. What is he feeling? :colbert:"

"Fee-ling...? :confused:"

"British?" :downs:

"That's not an emotion, that's an accent." :colbert:

"Lamp?" :downs:

"That's a thing, it's right behind me. You've been looking at it for the last 4 minutes." :colbert:

"You've come to the end of the known world, you break down and weep because there are no more recipes to come up with." :downs:

"That... that's okay. Fine, I'll go with that." :ughh:

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Four bros go driving around. Hear rumors about a dead body and go and find it.

Or, if you want me to be more serious, have the ancestral weapons be more plot relevant besides "quickly forgotten macguffin" Like, I don't know, you need X-many of them to jab into a given summon jerk to make them obey you, then wreck the poo poo out of the Empire. If you don't have all the weapons you get the neutral ending where congrats, revenge is had and you go back home as king. If you did have all the weapons, I dunno, maybe Bahamut shows up, considers you're too powerful and then you have to fight him as the optional superboss for the ending where you decide that you no longer want to be a pawn of the gods oh wait that's FFXII and XIII abort abort good ending.

I am not entirely sure how you can consider the good ending to be the one that results in you subjecting yourself to more FFXV.

e: or have Magic Time Dog more relevant besides "go back to wrap up sidequests rather than continue being in Venice or Mordor" Maybe feed him scooby snacks until he's able to time warp you back to when the invasion happened and save King Dad and the world.

FeyerbrandX fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Mar 25, 2018

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Palladium posted:

Ugh, I wished I never Googled that just now

If it makes you feel any better (it won't) consider searching for Totomostro. That will make you wish for childish humor, rather than "my lord, why did someone choose to program this?

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

When you went to see what Gladio looked like post-time skip I briefly misread Clownsguard uniform as Crownsguard uniform.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

grandalt posted:

Um, I think I remember something about saying about if Arden is defeated the crystal could bring the sun back. So, its not pointless to go after that if that's right. In fact, that would be the only way to save the world at this point.

I think its mostly just stated that "you need to use all that you learned(?) and the strength (?) you've gained from hovering in the void to power up the crystal." The only reason Ardyn factors into it is because he's got the crystal and being a demon for generations means he doesn't need to poo poo anymore so you can't sneak by him and restore the light of the world while he's on the can.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

I've put 200 hours into FFXV, and have not found the "mehmehmehmehmehmeh" button for my beautiful orb son.

e: oh yeah, and very sad that they patched out the NLA night music "Think you can take me? don't forget me" out of this.

FeyerbrandX fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Apr 1, 2018

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Dreadwroth posted:

Wow that sounds incredibly stupid and pointless.

Hah, yeah sure does.

And the stupid and pointless airship unlocks exactly one thing, and its stupid and pointless too

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

coleman francis posted:

The garrison sidequest was in your list of quests, you guys just missed it. Is it really only post game content? I don't think I ever did it.

The garrison quest could be done during the normal faffing around the world map part of the game, I think after you started trying to be Solid Snake and fought Jiggly Dragon.

I forgot all about the fact I did that quest, finished the game, went back in time and suddenly Cindy asks if I want to use the macguffin plot coupon I had no idea I got to do the thing.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

PIZZAGGggggggggghhhhhrrrgghhhh.

Seriously, what the literal gently caress is this. Is there going to be DLC where Prompto wants to go on a quest to get a pizza, that somehow involves killing a Tomato Elemental?

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Cory in the Blouse posted:

Bandunk comes back and a big bad guy gets grand slammed into the distance in the 11th hour of an LP?

:five:

Looks like Team Rocket's flying off... agasplat

Hats off to our noble foe.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

1500quidporsche posted:

I thought he got killed from the star plague three hundred years ago. What caused him to stop killing humans and just start chilling with hobo dude then?

I think the extra scene where we find out Ifrit was boning Shiva said he wanted to kill all humans, the other Gods said no, and they may or may not have just banished him to the shadow realm until Emperor Hobo broke him out?

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Speaking of FFX?

All I saw was the final boss from Earthbound's attacks in various forms for 11 minutes.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

goatface posted:

Titan showed up, Shiva and Bahamut turned up outside when they fought Ifrit. Leviathan... did the thing on the train 10 years earlier?

It feels like they should each have shown up to crack a layer of his transformation sequence. He smashes his way through his physical form(s) with the help of the summons, then he has to die to be internalised within the ring in order that he can destroy his evil soul with the help of his angelic ancestry or whatever. Because the Imperial bloodline is loving magic.

Who the gently caress is going to rule their lovely one-city kingdom now?

The same gently caress who was going to rule it if Noct lived. Ignis :v:

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Chaos Personified posted:

But they already made Final Fantasy 13.

And 12 before that.

But yeah, Ardyn finding out he could be a baleen whale to the demonic plankton or whatever just stepped over the Universal Anime Workers union lines of demarcation that the Oracle, being with titty, is the designated white mage and was grieved into the abyss.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

So when the Shenmue 2 LP was going on a couple years ago, I thought that someone said that the T40s footage was lost. Then I got up off my rear end (well, shifted my eyes to the right on youtube, lets not be too hasty) and saw that the channel was still up and that the first shenmue and other stuff was up. So RIP me I guess as I correct this mistake.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Bruceski posted:

Emperor Ledolas

Wait, Gollum was an elf? I thought he was a hobbit?

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

so something i've been wondering. when they start talking about how nights are lasting longer and has been for some time, is that in anyway reflected by the actual day/night cycle? cause it would be kind of neat if they had slowly had the length of the night cycle increase as you hit story checkpoints before the reveal of what was going on

As Bruceski said, yes there is. It kind of starts slow and maybe subconsciously noticeable when you're in boy band road trip mode.

Then when they lay it out explicitly on the train, the of course gently caress it up. Would have been neat if when you were fighting demons on the train and thinking "this tunnel will eventually end, we know its still light out, so once I see daylight the demons will all die! Wait, why is it dark out at 3pm? now the demons will eat me!" Then Leviathan's saving you would mean something. Instead somehow the demons who shouldn't be out in daylight are out in daylight and the neat set piece is just screwed up by confusion.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

And somehow that looks better than the PC versions minimum required settings.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Oh no. I think the problem is that it was like the other forts where you need to be driving by and see a star destroyer float by before you decide you want to gently caress it up? So maybe you need to be in the regular car and not the monster truck, or auto driving rather than manual? Those are the only thoughts I can give at least with too much brain power than the game deserves.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

MiniFoo posted:

he was working

So the entire DLC will be him reading the thread from his phone and having to choose his responses?

100%"Got it" speed run to come.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

goatface posted:

Do you get that on the third playthrough or the fifth?

You have to have max affinity with Gladio, all the "Dumbass Weapons that Your Idiot Ancestors Used that Killed Themselves By Wounding Themselves With Each Swing" and 100% frog licking and Kenny Crow Bench Sitting Stats when he asks you what the best cup noodle topping is, a secret "Sang Raal" option appears, this immediately causes Ardyn to appear screaming "It must be Shrimp!" and you fight to the death then and there. You still die to give Gladio the bloody noodles.

e: obviously as you can see that shocking event means it isn't until like 20 years later and really letting himself go before he brings himself to consider himself worthy of eating it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Gruckles posted:

There's an anime ova about him as a fat middle schooler that picks up jogging because he wants to lose weight and become pretty so LunaNoct will like him.

ftfy. No, I'm not joking. Yes, I'm sad that I know that. :negative:

• Locked thread