Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dimenticon
Jun 16, 2014

Me irl, whatever, who cares
I hope you're prepared to hear the same incidental and post-battle quips from the bros a million times. The amount of dialogue they recorded for them reacting to stuff is crazy, and a lot of it is all fine and amusing, but you're also gonna hear about Noctis' hand slipping a bunch every session.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dimenticon
Jun 16, 2014

I think it's implied in flavor text somewhere that the the kingdom of Lucis has its own currency separate from Niflheim, who at this point basically rules everything except the city of Insomnia. As such the prince became broke af the second he stepped past the Barrier.

dimenticon
Jun 16, 2014

Now that the gang has unlocked the cause of what will be at least half their gametime, it's only natural they should emulate the spirit of the game and take this LP on the road, recording at greasy spoons and supplementing with Periscopes of them getting their butts kicked by the local wildlife.

dimenticon
Jun 16, 2014

Zanzibar Ham posted:

You gotta eat whatever recipe he cooks up, and it has to look like it does in the game too.

They're gonna need a lot of bread for all of that toast they're going to exclusively make.

dimenticon
Jun 16, 2014

Agreed, please save photos throughout your journey, you're bound to get a lot of okay-looking and also hilarious ones.

I think someone mentioned in the thread already, but the game doesn't tell you that re-pressing the sprint button right near when the bar runs out also refills it completely, signified by Noctis flashing green. Also, when you're sprinting the stamina meter automatically refills when you sprint into a waist-high hoppable obstacle like fences and certain rocks, so you can look out for those to keep your stride going.

Has anybody here who played consistently lock-on to enemies during battles? I found it too inconsistent early on and just let myself attack whoever the loose lock-on targeted.

dimenticon fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Dec 21, 2016

dimenticon
Jun 16, 2014

The game slightly alleviates it by letting you report to any tipster/diner as opposed to exactly the one you took the hunt from. Useful if you're bouncing from quest to quest I guess, you can turn in a hunt from an earlier diner to one you'll run into later.

dimenticon
Jun 16, 2014

Fedule posted:

This part is kinda weird. Kingsglaives explicitly are able to warp, but can't pull weapons from hammerspace. Noct's pals, meanwhile, can pull weapons from hammerspace (only two each though) but can't warp.

Maybe Kingsglaive's powers grow with the powers of the king they're protecting. Even in his old-man-with-a-cane state I bet Regis could kick his son's spoiled rear end if he just looked at Noct hard enough.

It probably has more to do with the Ring and Crystal combo mentioned in the lore guide. Regis as the current king has both so he's got a lot of power he can lend out.

edit: didn't read your post properly so my take doesn't really answer what you brought up, and now I'm wondering myself.

dimenticon fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Dec 22, 2016

dimenticon
Jun 16, 2014

Gnomebitten posted:

The problem with dressing up your boys is that there is shockingly little customization in it with how JRPGs do nowadays. Just coming off of Tales of Zestiria (not a good game, but really) really soured how little you can accessorize these boys.

At least you can get some filthy stinkin' boys, just the dirtiest boys.

I'm iffy on the attachments-over-costumes approach they've taken with the Tales series recently, cus while they really let you go all out with attachment customization, costumes just feel more completed and immersive, even when they're ridiculous.

That said, agreed on making these boys as dirty as possible. Are there ways of accelerating this process beyond not letting them rest?

dimenticon
Jun 16, 2014

Yeah those "find X in a given radius" quests are pretty painful, I've risked waiting till night to do some just so I can see the item sparkle easier. I also think quest/red sparkle items have a longer draw distance for when a cursor points at it directly than regular blue sparkles but I could be wrong.

dimenticon
Jun 16, 2014

Gnomebitten posted:

Did you not see the hat on top of the other hat?

Oh. Oh. Yeah okay, costumes are dead, long live attachments. I guess the closest to customization of that caliber we get here is all the Regalia stuff, which is admittedly pretty great but I don't think it appears in enough scenes to really mine that ridiculousness value.

dimenticon
Jun 16, 2014

It could use some work but I think FFXV's menu interfaces are fine, though it definitely could do a better job of telling you in what menu you can find certain things. Coming off of Xenoblade Chronicle X's awful, awful, awful menus (pretty good game otherwise) I'm not complaining much.

dimenticon
Jun 16, 2014

coleman francis posted:

So now that FF15 is out square will stuff Nomura in a corner somewhere where he can't hurt anybody anymore right?

RIGHT?!

The Kingdom Hearts series is basically Nomura's corner of the Square Enix franchises so, sure. It's up for debate whether what he does with KH3 will be painful or not.

dimenticon
Jun 16, 2014

Danaru posted:

Wait we were trying to be incognito?

At the least it probably wouldn't look good if one half of a political marriage has been dragging his feet to the wedding by pimping his ride and slaying the local wildlife.

dimenticon
Jun 16, 2014

Wiseblood posted:

I find what happens a lot when fighting groups of enemies is when you're holding the block button on anticipation of a certain attack, another enemy will come along and take a swipe at Noctis which makes him dodge out of the way so you lose your block/parry opportunity.

I noticed that our boys also sometimes dodge roll (square + directional input) when anticipating a parryable attack, which ends up moving them out of the way instead of getting the parry. I'm sure they'll get the hang of it eventually but when you see the block prompt come up on screen you need to let go of everything and just hold square and wait for the attack to connect.

And even then it sometimes never comes, in situations Wiseblood mentions here and also due to weird janky moments during battle, like a rock or dead body blocking the way for the enemy to connect.

dimenticon
Jun 16, 2014

RareAcumen posted:

Oh, I only knew about the one that gives you the Masamune.

FFXV went all-out with pre-order dlc, but also spread it out really weirdly. No retailer or store sold the game with all possible pre-order dlc, not even the Ultimate edition on Squeenix's online shop.

dimenticon
Jun 16, 2014

Cindy ended up being likeable to me by the end of the game, in the sense that her accent actually grew on me and she was inoffensive and friendly.

Really though, not seeing any good reason she's dressed as she is and was given that refueling scene other than the obvious, which isn't a good reason imo.

dimenticon
Jun 16, 2014

MonsterEnvy posted:

Nope they are both robots.

I agree with JT, enemies with the Imperial marker are people while ones with the Magitek marker are robots. Magitek enemies have a really uncanny way of moving, and Imperial soldiers that appear in cutscenes and cgi trailers move naturally like human soldiers. They're also usually stronger than Imperial enemies and get in your face with melee weapons as opposed to guns only like Imperials.

dimenticon
Jun 16, 2014

Gorilla Salad posted:

Further confirmation, if more is needed, that Prompto truly is the most useless member of the band.

I mean... yeah, he literally is since he's just a friend from Noct's high school and hasn't received any official lifelong training like Glad or Ignis.

But goddamn if his pictures, good or hilariously bad don't lighten the mood and make for some good memories. He's the "heart" power of the group. So... useless, yeah. Still love him though.

dimenticon
Jun 16, 2014

Bocc Kob posted:

I'm starting to get on board with this game after the tonally bizarre "emotional" scenes of Noctis trying to deal with his country (city...?) being torn apart while he's dressed like a stupid rear end in a top hat.

If a JRPG doesn't let you ruin character moments with dumb costumes or attachments it isn't worth playing.

dimenticon
Jun 16, 2014

Scaramouche posted:

Did any pictures get taken on the return to City 17? Or are they lost forever now. It seemed to shunt you to Hammerhead immediately afterward, and all the most recent pictures are from there.

I'm surprised there weren't any taken during the cutscene on the cliff; I got at least one taken there but I guess it's random for everyone. The frequency might depend on Prompto's photo level, but he does take pictures during cutscenes he's around for (like of that fancy guy throwing coins at the resort).

dimenticon
Jun 16, 2014

The boundaries thing makes a lot of sense, especially when you consider people having multiple ships drop on them in a fight cus they're hopping a boundary line a bunch over the course of the fight. They're pretty fun imo, the battle system is a lot of fun to be good at when in a clusterfuck of a dropship, a hunt, and a pack of wild animals.

dimenticon
Jun 16, 2014

Thesaya posted:

Didn't someone say driving at night let you drive manually a while back?

Yup, at the moment Ignis thinks the gang is too weak to be out at night and protests by refusing to drive, so you take the wheel at night at the risk of running into daemons (which the guys should do for Good LP Content™). After a few more story quests manual driving opens up during the day, and later into the game Ignis will "gain confidence in Noctis' strength" and be willing to drive at night.

dimenticon
Jun 16, 2014

Any length is good to me since Youtube's save-how-far-you-watched feature finally works, although once you get to the next area, when the game really opens up and the amount of sidequests becomes overwhelming, it would be good to start considering editing out time between points of interest .

dimenticon
Jun 16, 2014

As the name of this chapter heavily implies we've just reached the point where the world finally opens up. And with that comes a BUTTLOAD of sidequests. It sucks that you don't get to find out what kind of quest it is until you accept it, cus there's a lot of menial or annoying stuff that I'd say is better left skipped.

dimenticon
Jun 16, 2014

Zenostein posted:

Are chocobos still pastel, like in FF13? Because a pink one should match noct's vest pretty well in that case.

You unlock colours from the inevitable chocobo races and quests I think, and they range from soft pastels to IN YOUR FACE NEONS.

dimenticon
Jun 16, 2014

Samuel L. Chan posted:

I would like to call attention to the fact that a mariachi outfit has just been released in a DLC and you will definitely want to look into this.

Behold, the power of costumes.

https://twitter.com/apocalypsisnoct/status/823783614232072192

dimenticon
Jun 16, 2014

That frog quest took me two separate 15-minute sessions to complete. I am impressed and angry you guys did it in five.

dimenticon
Jun 16, 2014

That yellow stand thing it zoomed in on after the quest is where you rent chocobos, and then you can summon them from an R2 button menu in most places. The renting stands are also pretty much anywhere there's a tipster so it's pretty easy to keep your rental topped up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dimenticon
Jun 16, 2014

MagicBoots posted:

Tried to get it down to avatar size and loop but I am not very good at gifs :downs:

Is this a sex thing, etc etc.

I do have to wonder if limited-time DLC like this is worth being made in Squeenix's eyes. It creates short-term buzz and brings players back in sure but I doubt any of them keep playing afterwards.

• Locked thread