Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG
Problem description:
Hi everyone, I have a bit of an issue. I was playing some video games last night and my computer shut off*. I went ahead and turned it back on and when the computer loaded the motherboard splash screen (generally first thing I see when I turn on the computer), it appeared as artifacts.

*It could have maybe been a system crash and not just a shut off. I was pretty drunk when I was playing games so I am a bit hazy on what happened, it was just so sudden.

Attempted fixes:
I heard the hard drive spinning so I decided to turn it off. I unplugged the machine and hit the power button to make sure to drain the power.

Turned it back on and then same thing. I just can't get past the motherboard splash screen, I have never had this happen before. I thought it may have been heat related because I had a heater running near my computer (stupid) so I decided to sleep. I tried it again this morning and it still won't load.

I thought maybe it was the monitor somehow so I decided to let it go for a bit and then try to log into windows as if my monitor was broken. I didn't hear any difference with what the HDD was doing so it looks like it is not getting past the initial splash screen.

Recent changes: Have you made any changes to your system/configuration recently that might have caused the problem?
None.

Operating system:
64 Bit Windows 8

System specs:
I really don't know the exact pieces I have, I generally use system hardware in Windows to identify that but I don't have access to that. I do know that I have:

MSI Motherboard (motherboard is only 3 years old)
ATI HD1450 (older card)
HDD (slave) SSD (master)

I have Googled and read the FAQ:
Yes, I haven't actually been able to find anything about this. I hope the Motherboard didn't fry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG
Okay a bit of an update. I decided to take the CMOS battery out. I turned it on and after a bit I got this screen.

I turned it off and turned it on again then after a splash screen that is artifacts then I got this.

Not sure what is going on.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

I'd disconnect all non-essential peripherals like the hard drives/disc drives and see if you're able to get into the BIOS.

Use onboard GPU if you have it temporarily (take out video card).

See if you're able to run memtest for a few hours: http://www.memtest.org/

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

Zogo posted:

I'd disconnect all non-essential peripherals like the hard drives/disc drives and see if you're able to get into the BIOS.

Use onboard GPU if you have it temporarily (take out video card).

See if you're able to run memtest for a few hours: http://www.memtest.org/

Thank you. I actually found the fix through this.

I took out my graphics card and tried onboard and it booted up no problem. I went out and got a new video card and it works perfectly. Thanks!!!

• Locked thread