Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

The only downside to short seasons is that we will see less of those really off-beat risk taking episodes. I'm talking in general, not Leftovers specifically. In fact I don't think we need to worry about this show not taking risks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Octy posted:

I've watched it three times and I still miss it. The Leftovers is a great show which I thoroughly enjoy watching at the time, but I can't say it has the same effect. :(

In many ways, maybe every way, Leftovers is a better show. With that said, I love Lost way more and always will.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

I just want to let the mystery be.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Leftovers returns on Easter. Nice touch.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Looks really good. Not sure I'm crazy about the Kevin Garvey savior of the world angle.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

This is so loving great

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

HanabaL03 posted:

Holy poo poo. What an episode.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Le Saboteur posted:

One little detail I noticed the Jardin police uniforms have their American flag patches on backwards as that's how's it's worn when they are considered to be at war.

Just noticed this in contrast when watching the season 1 episode The Garveys at their Best the Mapleton uniforms have the flags facing the normal direction.

I don't think that means they are at war. I think it just became standard practice at some point so it looks like you are moving forward and not running away. Even if it did, I don't think it would apply to police.

At the last Army Navy game Nike made some sweet uniforms for Army based on the 82nd Airborne Division in WW2. It had non-reversed flags and veterans went nuts saying they were on backward and slamming Nike for such a "basic mistake". Only problem is Nike got it right, the flag was not reversed on the uniforms worn for D-Day.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

:vince:

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Look at my user name/avatar. Suffice to say this episode was a big hit with me.

At this point I'm out of superlatives for this show. It is like the NBA slam dunk contest where pretty much everything has been done, but instead somehow people legitimately keep coming up with cooler and more amazing dunks and putting them down.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

oliwan posted:

I'd unironically love to hear why you think the Lost finale was great. Specifically with regards to what you take away from it, i.e. how it changed you in some way, or how it sheds an interesting light on any of the themes the show explores. 

No one has ever been able to tell me how the finale helps to bring that show beyond the superficial level of the narrative itself, what its message is, what it offers as food for thought beyond the story. 

What does that even mean? Is that your objective standards for great finales or something?

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Carrie Coon Carrie Coon's publicists' intern liked my tweet. :swoon:

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I think I've told you this before, but I can't help but genuinely laugh when I see or think of your username + avatar :allears:

Never change.

I don't believe you have, but thanks!

Perfect Strangers has kind of been a running joke with me since I trolled an AOL chat room in the 90s called The Writers Lounge. I claimed my book The Perfect Strangers Definitive Episode Guide: From Mypos to Chicago and back had been picked up by a publisher. Looking back the concept was stupid but 15 year old me had a lot of fun with it.

I got other people in on the joke and the pinnacle was when a friend of mine ended up teaching ESL to Korean Soldiers while he was stationed there and taught them that "Don't be ridiculous!" was popular American slang. I'd like to think for a while at least, there were a bunch of Korean soldiers running around imitating Balki.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Poppyseed Poundcake posted:

Why haven't they addressed the Trump issue yet? That would be a good tie in that could explain the disappearances

I like TV as a place to escape the news for the most part.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

AHAHAHAHAHA holy poo poo Lindelof is the greatest.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BTQOPbDD3cZ/

Is that actually him? He left Twitter because of how much poo poo people gave him over the finale still.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

oliwan posted:

Like how is the trampoline scene supposed to add anything to the story? Except for hurrr durrr look how wacky we (the writers/directors) are?

You're the most pretentious poster on TVIV or a really bad troll, I haven't decided which yet.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

UmOk posted:

Perfect Strangers was about 9/11

Balki was an allegory for the loss of innocence, the naive, child-like faith in American hegemony as a moralizing force in a chaotic world. This reductive trope was easy for the morally vapid American bourgeoisie viewing audience to swallow unthinkingly, like a fat, putrid frog swallowing minnows.

Larry represents the politically awoken, progressive thinkers, who vainly tried to convince Balki, ergo America, of the moral hubris of his actions but went tragically unheeded.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

sticklefifer posted:

Kevin goes on a walkabout in the outback and finds Isaac of Uluru and the show reveals it's been a stealth Lost sequel all along. Kevin ends up the new protector of the island and he can't die because the island won't let him.

I'd buy that for a dollar!

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

This show has become so good that a perfectly adequate Episode to move pieces into place for the home stretch feels like a letdown.

It was still a beautifully shot and acted hour of television that also advanced the story in meaningful ways.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Longbaugh01 posted:

He seemed really familiar, and I wondered if he was one of the indigenous people from The Right Stuff and guess what? He was. And of course Scott Glenn was also in it! (I don't think they shared any scenes.)

I randomly watched Crocodile Dundee on cable for the first time in about 20 years last week. He was the guy with the nice watch!

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

oliwan posted:

Oh and with some christian bullshit thrown in too boot. I dont enough about the aboriginal situation in Australia right now, but something tells me this is loving offensive too.

You're loving offensive.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Whenever I see people bitching about filler, I just think of the S1 thread and how it was packed with people complaining about how various plot threads were pointless and irrelevant that ended up paying off big time later.

B-b-but, what about the outrigger?!?

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

I can't even

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

This is loving excellent television. We're unworthy.

I mean, goddamn. :stare: I'll admit, I found Garvey Sr Hour slow, but also necessary. It's this kind of poo poo that makes it worth it.

One question: did I miss something with the end. There was an explosion... In the hotel? Are we meant to believe that it's tied directly to the book lit on fire? I know Nora was shown at the end, but maybe that was some sort of quick flashback to right before the explosion? That's a stretch, I know. I was rocking my son and I thought I missed something when all that was going down.

For real. This is the best thing I've ever seen on TV. I don't care if the next 10 shows Lindelof does are garbage, I will always watch anything he does.

No you didn't miss anything, we don't know what exploded yet. Sepinwall mentioned that in his (excellent) review.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Lindelof has already shown that when push comes to shove on science or faith he goes with faith. I am looking forward to him doing it again because A) I think he can deliver and B) I will be highly amused by people that hate stuff not "100% backed in science" in their fictional TV shows being angry.

It reminds me of how negatively some people reacted any X-Files dealing with Scully and her Christian faith.

God? Give me a break, this is stupid! I want more episodes about killer trees or alien bounty hunters. At least that stuff could really happen.
:goonsay:

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Supercar Gautier posted:

So far, the only alternative music that's synchronized well with the credit sequence was the Perfect Strangers theme. The other two songs haven't really gelled with the visuals.

I agree it would have been better to have a totally new intro for season 3. The two sequences feel like examples of what different in-universe artists would create in response to the departure, and it would have been nice to pursue that theme again with yet another take.

The first season intro was great, but Let the Mystery Be really grew on me.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

I don't think it's a scam. I think the device legitimately sends people somewhere. Whether that somewhere is where the departed went or just getting turned into radioactive dust is the mystery.

If it's GR version 3.0 I will be majorly letdown by the show for the first time.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Obviously Walt's adventures on the island took a turn for the worse despite Hurley's best efforts and 2% of the population has become unstuck in time.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

JethroMcB posted:

October 14th retconned to be the day that Jack fought the Man in Black. When Desmond removed the plug from the Heart of the Island, the missing 2% were pulled through both space and time and "seeded" throughout different points in the Island's history. The cast of Growing Pains built the four-toed statue. Nora's husband was the man on the outrigger shot by Juliette.

It all adds up.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Leftovers owns. This thread owns.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

It's almost time. HBO Sunday night makes the end of the weekend not so bad.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

A new transmission from Rousseau?

E: Lindelof loves submarines

E2: and priests on planes

Bulky Bartokomous fucked around with this message at 02:19 on May 15, 2017

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

:catstare:

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

At least he condensed The Temple stuff down to one episode.

The whistle callbacks were a nice touch.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

This episode had some great moments, but it was probably my least favorite of the season.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Gonz posted:

*gunshots*

"That's the guy I was telling you about."

:stare: This fuckin' show.

They certainly stuck the landing.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Was the actress that plays Jill Garvey too busy with another project or was her character out of story to tell?

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Le Saboteur posted:

I liked that after the previous episode where we were meant to question Kevin's sanity again and possibly that even the hotel world was just a manifestation of his mind they reestablished with David Burton that the hotel world was a real thing in the universe of The Leftovers as he is the man the Kevin met on the bridge to Miracle and the bar in the hotel.

Kevin's subconscious could have been inserting him into his delusions after seeing a news report about him. We know that Burton's situation made the news in the States when it happened.

Plus Burton got unceremoniously mauled by a lion after they showed us the story of Daniel. The ambiguity is still very much there imo.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

SLOSifl posted:

Nora is a very compelling and nuanced character. I just don't know what is driving her at the moment, other than the loss of her family. Not to minimize that, but it's not a forward-looking plan. Kevin at least thinks he wants a stable family with Nora, but she doesn't seem to have similarly "normal" future wishes. It's not a criticism of the writing or anything like that.

I disagree, I think Nora thinks that getting microwaved back to her kids is a real possibility. Sure that isn't a normal future wish for us, but in her world I think it could be. How is that any crazier than her kids disappearing in the first place?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Supercar Gautier posted:

Yep. In the very first episode, they invade a departure memorial, which doesn't add up with their stated motive of wanting people to remember, but fits perfectly with their MO of being nihilistically adversarial and dogmatically insistent that people grieve ~correctly~.

Yeah they didn't want people to grieve the departed, they wanted people to remember the event by not moving on with their lives.

• Locked thread