Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

drunkill posted:

Pretty random episode.

I don't think you'd be flying from the US to Australia in a DHC-4 Caribou though. That was filmed at RAAF Point Cook, that one sits next to the museum on the base. Funnily enough the airbase has one of the worlds only 3 horizon tanks for making movies/tv shows, just south of the main runway, but it hasn't been used for awhile.

And the ferries between Melbourne and Tasmania is a little bit larger.

Cool! Did you have any interactions with the production while they were filming? Did you try to be an extra?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Spoilers and spoilers masquerading as "fan theories" are everywhere now, I think only this shows relatively small audience saved it.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Jimmy Kimmel turned Justin Theroux's car into an Emmy-Mobile and it is amazing.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

UmOk posted:

Has he not received one for this show yet? I don't follow awards

I don't believe Leftovers has received a single prime time Emmy nomination to date.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Theroux is to this show as Rami Malek is to Mr. Robot. The show wouldn't just be worse with a different actor, I'm not sure it would even work.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Niwrad posted:

It feels like Season 1 and 2 would have been the time for them to win them for. Justin Theroux is great but it's an 8 episode season and he hasn't appeared in two of the episodes so far.

I mean you could have gone with Ann Dowd, Carrie Coon, or Regina King (for season 2) along with Justin Theroux in earlier seasons. And how could it have not even been nominated for a writing award? Lens and International Assassin are two of the best hours of TV I've ever watched.

International Assassin is the best thing I've ever seen on TV.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

HanabaL03 posted:

Multiple critics who have already seen this episode have stated that tonight's is one of the best of the series.

:ohdear:

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Hereeee we go

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Lol Dharma van. Nice.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

:vince:

E: also, the joy in Nora's voice when she said okay to Matt. :3:

Bulky Bartokomous fucked around with this message at 03:11 on May 22, 2017

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

It was hard to watch. That phone call was brutal.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Is Nora gone?

We're all gone, Kevin.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Also very few people that kill themselves actually have nothing to live for. To the contrary they always have lots to live for. Which is what made the scene and phone call so realistic, heartbreaking, and moving.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Different stuff hits people in the feels in different ways. The well scene in International Assassin got me, the part with young Patty trying to talk Kevin into pushing her in.

Before that the last one was The Constant in :lost:

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

UmOK was joking.

Also, I think Laurie wanted to give the lighter to Kevin which is why she flipped out on Nora.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Vanderdeath posted:

It's hard to tell who's joking nowadays :negative: I'm sorry for being thick though

We've all done it, no worries!

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

JethroMcB posted:

Right, I'm saying that Grace became accustomed to having no closure. She had the glorious uncertainty of having her children Depart ripped away when their bodies were found, so she found a new question to fixate on. Even though she seems to want Kevin to get the answer for her I wonder if she'll be satisfied or willing to accept it if he can deliver it.

Only if it leads to finding their shoes I'd say.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

It reminds me of Kevin's struggles with the toaster and his shirts.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

HanabaL03 posted:

For those of you that have watched both The Leftovers and LOST, which musical score had more of an emotional connection for you?

I'm a big LOST fan, but the score for this show is so simple and beautiful. It's a tight one, but I'm going with The Leftovers.

Lost all the way. I loved all the different themes for individual characters. There's No Place Like Home still gives me goosebumps.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Raxivace posted:

The Leftovers music often hits me harder, and generally seems to come in at just the right moment to me.

I like the Lost score but sometimes it felt a little overbearing to me. I will say that Lost used diegetic licensed music to great effect though- the "Make Your Own Kind of Music" and "Shotgun Willie" sequences in particular stand out to me.

Yeah and "Downtown"

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Professor Shark posted:

I have the piano version of Where Is My Mind in my playlist for driving to work

I really can't get tired of that. Or Genghis Barbie's Take On Me.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

5 RING SHRIMP posted:

I would watch 400 hours of this

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

UmOk posted:

Kevin's mind. He says he wants to nuke it so he can never come back.

I want to find a man of faith explanation for it, but I can't. I think you're right.

Unless it's like the flash sideways universe from LOST. An afterlife but not THE afterlife.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

It's funny, for a show about 2% of the world population instantly vanishing, i feel like some people are a little too :smug: about nothing being supernatural other than departure.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

UmOk posted:

Dumb rear end smug people having an interpretation of an ambiguous show.

I thought this episode "really told people that, other than the departure, nothing "supernatural" is going on and that everyone is just getting crazier"? That doesn't sound too ambiguous.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

The Penis Scanner is such a profoundly beautiful metaphor that I'm sorry you don't get it.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

oliwan posted:

I just saw episode 7, I'm not sure where the penis scanner fits on the retard scale of the show. I guess right below the magical negro in the cabin called virgil who is a guide to the afterlife.

No, maybe it's the most clichéd metaphor of inward struggle: literally killing another version of yourself. My students in grade 9 don't hand in writing this lazy.

Anyway, just one more episode and I will never have to watch this trash again. I don't know why I kept watching after season 1. I guess I'm the only non-fanboy left now. Feels good in a masochist kind of way.

There's a reason noone watches this anymore, or why it's not registering any awards.

edit: season 1 still good though.

For a second I tried to think of a show that has a passionate following that I could start watching and then trolling its fans with "edgy", contrarian critiques on internet message boards but then I realized that doing absolutely anything else would be a better use of my time.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

oliwan posted:

Yes well in retrospect I regret having watched season 2 and 3, but what can I do?

Also, why is giving my opinion considered trolling? Are we only allowed to be positive about the show here?

Why are you the way you are? Honestly, every time that we try to watch something fun, or exciting on The Leftovers, you make it not that way.

I hate so much about the things that you choose to be.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

UmOk posted:

You left off the beginning of that post where I said "I feel." I didn't mean for it to come off as authoritative. Just my personal interpretation of the show and I'm totally down with reading others. Except for Oliwan. He/She has an MA in literature and is too smart for me.
It's all good. I just feel that the show has done a very, very good job of being ambiguous. Perhaps funny isn't the right word for me to have used (or smug for that matter). I guess I find it interesting that the folks that don't find it as ambiguous skew towards being sure that nothing is supernatural. One might say you have faith that there's no reason for faith. :colbert:

At any rate I'm right there with you, Oliwan is too smart for me as well.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

SlipkPIe posted:

He was sincere, now you guys are being the dicks FYI

Probably so, but when you come into a conversation throwing around your education credentials and slinging conclusory statements as gospel while at the same time demanding everyone else to support their opinions, you get what you get.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Last Chance posted:

I hope they bring it back for the finale!!

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Welcome haters. Is this a FYAD invasion or something ?

I was planning on heading out until after the finale anyways so good timing I guess. See you on the flip side everyone.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

theflyingexecutive posted:

Cool, glad to know I'm not allowed to have opinions about TV in the TV forum

Nobody said you couldn't have horrible, bad tastes and opinions and share them here. Go hog wild.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

oliwan posted:

Yes, beside the obvious examples which demonstrate that it doesn't, everything takes place in Kevin's head.

Thank god you're here to explain this show to morans liek me!

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Never mind.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

oliwan posted:

thanks to LOST i still get ptsd episodes whenever anyone mentions Lindelof and "character study" in the same sentence

Edgy lol! Also, gently caress you.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Josh Lyman posted:

I feel like it was a nice ending, but it didn't hit me like I wanted. I didn't cry, not even close.

I want a refund. :colbert:

Same.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

100% perfection. Lost is forgiven.

I thought Lost was 100% perfection. This was good, but I'm not sure how I feel about it yet. :iiam:

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Speaking of Lost, was the nun the stewardess from the tail of Oceanic 815?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Now that I've had some time to reflect a bit I'm warming up to it.

Also, how amazing was it when Kevin said "sometimes I just like to get a little :lost:"?

I don't feel cheapened by the Laurie thing. She said she was an avid diver and maybe she didn't think she'd get back to Australia. It really was now or never for her to dive there. It also explains how serene she was despite her kids calling. No need to be torn up if you aren't going to kill yourself.

• Locked thread