Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Ha, there's this. It's a fan-edit, only using older footage.

There's waaaaay too much craziness crammed into it, but I still got chills. Maybe it has to do with the fact that 'The Day The Whole World Went Away' is one of my favourite NIN songs. :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HzCWqPhi0o

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

precision posted:

I've only seen it on HBO Now

Ugh, I just checked Canada's site for that (well, Bell's TMNGO/HBO Canada hybrid thingy) and there's nothing. :negative:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Open Source Idiom posted:

Yeah, it's only an eight episode season.

Aw drat. I'm of the mind that, while I love the show, I'm ok with only 3 seasons, but drat... They couldn't even get 10 episodes for the final run? :(

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Welp, I'm pumped. Looking forward to whatever trailer that comes next that shows more footage (aside from, y'know... the actual show itself).

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

drunkill posted:

New teaser: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOWrp7QlW4c

April 16th can't get here soon enough.

Dear god... :stare:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Holy poo poo, that last line... my god.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Last Chance posted:

If it's not a fakeout, I totally called it.

In what way? Genuinely asking, no sarcasm.

Man, I hope it's not a fakeout. :ohdear:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Last Chance posted:

Well, sorta. Spoilering even if it is speculation, since it's related to an actual line from the trailer of the upcoming season:

I've been thinking they'll actually reveal the cause of the departure, and that line indicates that someone knows something to that effect. Lindelof has been so adamant about us never finding out the reason for the departure, and telling us to let the mystery be, even putting it in last season's intro, that it's made me think that he's ready to pull the rug from under us this season.

Whether that will end up being a good thing, who knows. Or it might not even happen.

I genuinely wouldn't mind finding out. Like if it was something terrible like they were somehow displaced off the earth, and into space where they exploded... That'd be pretty :stare:

I'd say, to me, the most satisfying revelation with regards to revealing it would be if everyone who departed is currently living in an alternate reality where 98% of the population departed; that THEY were the Leftovers.

Not going to spoiler tag it, since it's nothing more than speculation not based on anything.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Raxivace posted:

If they're just dead, even if its for unknown reasons, I kind of feel like that just gives things a little too much closure.

Ok, I have to agree with this; there's something extremely unsettling in not knowing whether or not the departed are ok, or just gone. Maybe they're in some sort of hell, or maybe they're in a way better place than the leftovers.

If they're officially dead, yeah, that's fairly normal, despite the circumstances.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

tadashi posted:

Definitely. The show is about survivors of tragedy and picking up the pieces of your life after a tragedy. I think people who want to watch the show just to find out what happened are watching it for all the wrong reasons. We might get a few more clues about the Departure event in this season but I don't feel the creators have any responsibility to explain it. Perrotta certainly didn't feel a responsibility to explain it in the book and I don't think they have one, either.

The other thing is that, even if they explain the Departure in some way, they would do the show a disservice to give anyone any sort of closure even if they discover more about the event. The whole thing with tragedy is that people often attempt to understand why as though it will help them cope better with the aftermath, but it rarely does.

Maybe the show works on a meta level, with us as viewers also having that need for an explanation after such a loss, albeit a fictional one. We just need to all make sense of it. We watch the characters go through this, but a lot of us are, too (in a much smaller and less tragic sense, of course).

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Gorn Myson posted:

The only thing that I think is better in season 1 than in season 2 is the fact that Holy Wayne had more screentime.

And Laurie definitely did lose her baby, they tell you directly through the visuals rather than through dialogue.

Yeah, I don't know why people aren't just accepting this. Implied and not shown, great, but using this as an argument against it possibly happening?

No, it loving happened.

Anyway, I think a lot of posters who are making GBS threads on season 2 might have only binged it. I remember us all loving it in this thread as it aired. Maybe that has something to do with it?

:iiam: so I'll let it be.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I've never seen Lost, and I don't think I'll ever be checking it out, but from what I can tell from what you all are saying about it, Lindelof was NOT given complete creative control by the network, correct? And this was the major cause of the issues that have been brought up, including the finale and how long it took to get there?

Well, I'm really glad that The Leftovers is what we get when he DOES have almost-complete control (aside from the original author helping out). I have a good feeling about how this show will end. I highly doubt, aside from limiting it to 3 seasons, HBO has gotten much in his way.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Invalid Validation posted:

Haven't heard anything about how hot Justin Theroux is in a while. You need to mention that at least once per episode recap.

He is, by far, my one 'if I went gay' choice.

Actually, I don't even think I'd have to be gay to be honest.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

HanabaL03 posted:

These forums were at their peak during the :lost: seasons.

Anyways. I think my favorite scene of The Leftovers is Kevin singing "Homeward Bound". Beautifully shot, and reading about how they chose that scene is pretty funny.

Got a link?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Niwrad posted:

My favorite scene is Patti and Kevin in the well. The end of the Patti story arc. You finally see who Patti really is. Turned a two season villain into someone you feel sorry for in a couple minutes.

I genuinely forget what the end of her story was, I only watched the episode once. Mind refreshing my memory?

Also, are we supposed to know anything about Bridge Guy?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

So, is Lost the reason that people thought there was a recorder in Chau's cigarette when saw Mike when he left the DA's office in season 5 of Breaking Bad?

Is it the reason for "Mike's Voice"?

Because if so, gently caress Lost. :colbert:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Bert Roberge posted:

After the past two years I fully believe that dogs are taking on human form and are infiltrating the highest levels of our government.

You've changed, you son of a bitch. :clint:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I got a bit of an International Assassin flashback when Kevin opened his closet door :allears:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Damon Lindelof should try to adapt House of Leaves next.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

House of Leaves has been stuck in development hell for literal years at this point

Wait, really? Who's behind the project?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

(she just literally disappears in the middle of an episode)

Thematically, this checks out.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

Look at my user name/avatar. Suffice to say this episode was a big hit with me.

At this point I'm out of superlatives for this show. It is like the NBA slam dunk contest where pretty much everything has been done, but instead somehow people legitimately keep coming up with cooler and more amazing dunks and putting them down.

I think I've told you this before, but I can't help but genuinely laugh when I see or think of your username + avatar :allears:

Never change.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Escobarbarian posted:

read in i think the NYTimes review that Nora's DSD boss says "she's goin'" to his co-worker once he gets off the phone with her about her going to St. Louis. continuity error or some weird foreshadowing?

Why continuity error? The coworker likely was able to piece together that Nora asked for the funding.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

You're the most pretentious poster on TVIV or a really bad troll, I haven't decided which yet.

Doesn't that award go to that guy with the Brother Mouzone av?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

What's the title for the next episode?

God, I really hope it's not "Did I do that?" or "Got any cheese?" :ohdear:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

The Dave posted:

To be clear, the episode mentions a main character from Season 2 and how much they are specifically in this season. And to a larger part, their outcome.

Cn you spoiler tag this and explain it?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

drunkill posted:

So they invented a machine to microwave the leftovers?

Hahaha, holy gently caress. Incredible :golfclap:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

How people could find issue with the trampoline scene, yet nothing about the wholly (in)appropriate theme song change up and Wu Tang generated writers is beyond me. I'm not saying I disliked any of it, on the contrary. But c'mon; be consistent.

Also, this is the only show that fills me with dread to the point where I'm absolutely hooked. Final seasons tend to do that to me a bit, especially when you know that something big and not necessarily good is coming (like with Breaking Bad). But this show... It's carved this hole into my emotions, and only filled it up with feelings of uncertainty and questioning, and goddamn, I don't think any other work of fiction has done that to me, other than House of Leaves, which is why I mentioned it before.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Bonk posted:

Any adaptation of House of Leaves, if Danielewski ever lets it happen, needs to be based solely on The Navidson Record and not the rest, because finding the documentary is what sparks the story. Adding the outside stuff feels like cheating the book.

I mostly agree; I'd take it one step out and include blind Zampano narrating it from time to time. But it would work best as a series, one season, 6-10 episodes. They could even try to frame it like a true documentary, maybe involving found footage of the "explorations".

gently caress, I want a good adaptation of it.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

5 RING SHRIMP posted:

For someone unfamiliar with House of Leaves why does it keep coming up in here? Is it like a good complement to The Leftovers?

That's mainly my fault that it keeps coming up. It's got a similar 'this is wrong and no one knows why' vibe to it. It's legitimately the only true 'haunted house' story I've ever experienced, as the house itself really is what's haunted. It feels legitimately sinister to me.

If you like the thought of impossible physical geometry almost forcing itself into your world, then check it out. Fair warning, though; there are a LOT of dry spots that have put off friends of mine from reading it, though I was never bored.

Then again, a lot of my friends just don't read, so maybe that's the problem :shobon:

Edit: there's an SCP that's likely based off of it. It's the one with the closet/wardrobe that's bigger on the inside than the outside, by an astounding degree. I misremembered, but it's this one: http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-087

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Apr 26, 2017

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Cithen posted:

Who is the actress that plays the tower man's wife? Its bugging the crap outta me and IMDB is not helping.

Grace Under Fire.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Cithen posted:

^^^
Thanks, 'Grace Under Fire' was a decent show.

True, but it was no Perfect Strangers.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

So, I'm wondering if the Nora we see at the end of 301 is post-microwaved Nora? Maybe she tries it, ends up with the 2%?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I'm confused as to one thing; when Kevin Sr was talking about being in a hotel room (whoa) with a smoldering mattress (holy poo poo!) he said he saw a chicken on tv (what?). I was fully expecting him to say that he talked to his son, but I guess he doesn't remember his actual drug trip but instead just the aftermath, right? Maybe I have to watch it again.

Anyway, at least the tv and mattress thing means that Kevin Jr DEFINITELY isn't crazy, if he was (either in death or a dream world) able to communicate with his dad. Aside from the actual departure, is this the first confirmed element of the supernatural/other worldly workings, for lack of a better term? Everything else has been able to be interpreted as possibly all in the characters' heads.

Even tower man might have just witnesses him talking to himself.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Maybe Kev jr gets sacrificed, but something good coincides with it, so it's deemed as necessary and fulfilling. Meanwhile, Nora, not wanting to fill the 'Jesus's Wife' role, hides away. Maybe she knows he was sacrificed for bullshit reasons and is understandably bitter and angry.

Perhaps the question she's asked is akin to "Have you accepted Jesus into your life?"

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

5 RING SHRIMP posted:

This is so good I feel like I'm reading a spoiler

Thanks! I both hope I am and am not right. I'd like to see this play out, but I also would have hated to have just spoiled everything accidentally. :ohdear:

Edit: Joke theory: this entire show is a prequel to the Kevin James sitcom "Kevin Can Wait".

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 20:35 on May 2, 2017

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

oliwan posted:

It's a show, so we can't expect high standard? Is that what you are saying?

STOP
WASTING
YOUR
BREATH

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

*Max Richter's haunting Leftovers theme begins to play*

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Ann Dowd and Margo Martindale should play sisters or best friends in something. Like, they both need to headline a show.

Watch Justified S2 to see what I mean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Onomarchus posted:

Ann Dowd was in a movie called Compliance based on a true story.

Saw this, enjoyed it for the "holy gently caress, HOW did this ever happen?!" value.

• Locked thread