Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Why did Kevin kill Patti the way he did?

Maybe it's because Justin Theroux is apparently... well-Ann-Dowd :smug:

Edit: G'night, everyone, you've been wonderful! Tip your waiter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

This is loving excellent television. We're unworthy.

I mean, goddamn. :stare: I'll admit, I found Garvey Sr Hour slow, but also necessary. It's this kind of poo poo that makes it worth it.

One question: did I miss something with the end. There was an explosion... In the hotel? Are we meant to believe that it's tied directly to the book lit on fire? I know Nora was shown at the end, but maybe that was some sort of quick flashback to right before the explosion? That's a stretch, I know. I was rocking my son and I thought I missed something when all that was going down.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

IMB posted:

I mean she lost three kids.

Two kids and a husband, though it all depends on how much she ran the house.

Also, am I just making stuff up in my mind, or was it briefly mentioned that her husband had been cheating on her?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

SLOSifl posted:

I was reading Sepinwall's review of Better Call Saul and whoa:

That's pretty impressive.

edit: You know what, that was probably too much BCS plot info for a Leftovers thread

It's funny, because these are the only two shows I'm currently watching (that are airing new right now).

I'm spoiled by good tv.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Escobarbarian posted:

Makes sense if that's your only 2 hours.

I've got a newborn so yeah, my time is limited. My wife and I just binged Happy Valley which was great. Trying to find another on-demand show to check out.

Like I said, BCS and this show are the only two we're watching that are currently airing.

End of the month brings Twin Peaks and House of Cards, so I'm looking forward to them as well.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Comrade Fakename posted:

Fargo, man. Get your double helping of Carrie Coon.

I haven't seen the other seasons, but it's an anthology right? So aside from missing some little callbacks, I could jump in at season 3, and catch the others later?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Le Saboteur posted:

I liked that after the previous episode where we were meant to question Kevin's sanity again and possibly that even the hotel world was just a manifestation of his mind they reestablished with David Burton that the hotel world was a real thing in the universe of The Leftovers as he is the man the Kevin met on the bridge to Miracle and the bar in the hotel.

The only proof we have of any sort of weird afterlife-or-otherwise connection is Kevin Jr talking to Kevin Sr, and the burning mattress reference.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Professor Shark posted:

The show is pretty heavily influenced by Picnic at Hanging Rock, which had an explanation at the end but then later had that chapter removed

What was the explanation?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Hey, what if Nora is unwilling to acknowledge Kevin in that flash forward because he was accepted by those scientists and went through the machine, and she didn't?

Maybe he had something to do with its destruction :stare: Maybe him not dying extends to him trying the machine and it catastrophically failing and breaking for good.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Boris Galerkin posted:

Is this the last season?

Yes. And the only saving grace is that they were told this well before production started, so it won't be like a Deadwood sort of thing (just... Ending.)

I mean, it might 'just end' but it'll at least be on Lindelof and Perrotta's terms, story wise.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

In the words of Balki Bartokomous, "Well, feed me bran and call me regular."

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

El Jeffe posted:

So why is everyone so worried about this particular anniversary? Is it just because 7 is auspicious?

I could be wrong, but I believe the Bible says that 7 years after Rapture, everybody else gon' get judged.

In terms of this show, I can see it being some sort of self-fulfilling prophecy, at least on the part of those closest to Matt.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Thom and the Heads posted:

This show sure does make me a weepy mess a lot.

You know, I never got this. Not to say I don't understand people crying during shows, particularly this one, but it never affected me.

That is, until Kevin Sr's episode, where his tape was ruined. I have an almost 3 year old son and you'd best believe that if I had a 30+ year old recording of him talking as a keepsake, during what can only be described as a mass-scale nightmare, reminding me of the good times, I'd be devastated if it was gone forever.

That got me :smith:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

You know, I never got this. Not to say I don't understand people crying during shows, particularly this one, but it never affected me.

That is, until Kevin Sr's episode, where his tape was ruined. I have an almost 3 year old son and you'd best believe that if I had a 30+ year old recording of him talking as a keepsake, during what can only be described as a mass-scale nightmare, reminding me of the good times, I'd be devastated if it was gone forever.

That got me :smith:

Welp, quoting myself to call myself a liar, because this episode got me too. Nevermind, I absolutely and totally get it. Not just with my previous example, but that scene at the beginning (I have a 2 year old son, and a 1.5 month old), and with Laurie's last conversations, with Kevin and Jill.

:smith:

Goddamn you, Lindelof. It's all so excellent and sad.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

RCarr posted:

It's being bad at recognizing faces.

Yeah, really.

"Hey, is that guy the dude from episode ## from <other show>?"

"No, not at all, wow, how did you even think that up?"

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

RCarr posted:

Is there an episode tonight? I know Better Call Saul is skipping this week due to the holiday.

Yes, there's an episode.

Does IMDB just not work for some people? :iiam:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Le Saboteur posted:

I have a bad feeling the ending of this show may leave me feeling a bit unsatisfied but I'm hoping for the best.

Apparently, numerous cast members, including Lindelof himself, have said that it's satisfying. Take that as you would, but the man is still sensitive and aware about how everyone in the world took the ending to Lost, and doesn't wish to repeat that.

I've never seen Lost, just going by what I've read.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Goddamn, that narration during the promo for the next episode... Can't wait. I liked this episode, it was crammed full of happenings, which is nice. The last shot in the etherworld of Patti and Kevin watching the bombs fall was nice.

I have to ask, maybe I'm just dumb, maybe I can't quite piece it together, but if the etherworld/afterlife/whatever it is is like a polar opposite of the real world, then what does nuking it signify, saving the real world?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

LadyPictureShow posted:

I noticed in the final scene that both Kevins, John, Michael and the dog were there, but I didn't see Grace (unless she was out on the lawn and I didn't see her).

Wonder if that means something happened to her during the storm, or if she was just inside.

Does anyone know if next week's finale is extended length? I feel like there's still a lot of wrap up for the usual ~1 hr run time.

75 minutes, according to Alan Sepinwall. :toot:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I am so unbelievably psyched for the next episode. Goddamn. :rock:

Gonna marathon this whole thing when it's over.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

oliwan posted:

Anyway, just one more episode and I will never have to watch this trash again. I don't know why I kept watching after season 1.

We don't either, and certainly wouldn't have missed you. :tipshat:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Willeh posted:

I would watch an adventure-of-the-week season of Leftovers where Kevin is just thrust into a different scenario every episode when het gets drowned.

It could be called Quantum Leak; he helps people through drowning himself. And just as he's wrapped up this week's problem, he starts coughing up water...

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

oliwan posted:

Yeah, my tone was quite insufferable. I guess I shouldn't ragepost immediately after watching the episode.

:haw:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Hipster_Doofus posted:

Uhh, I don't wanna be that guy, but some of us avoid even episode titles for a reason.

Keep going, you're living up to your username!

For real, though, how is that remotely a spoiler? Did you not catch the ending of 301? It just means the episode focuses on Nora.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Hipster_Doofus posted:

Yeah, ok... duh me. Feeling stupid now. Of course the finale would be mostly Nora-centric, and yeah nothing was really given away. Sorry. I've been awake for like 29 hours, which would have been nothing to me 20 years ago. But now? Feelin' pretty loopy. Again, sorry, and carry on! :salute:

I feel your pain. I have a newborn, so aside from a few examples, I'm watching all of these shows while rocking a baby, the captions on, sound off, and a white noise machine playing. I'm so tired :negative:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

The only benefit we have over Sepinwall, in terms of viewers, is that for us, the show is still going on.

For him, it's all done :smith:

Edit: also, two things I like about Alan Sepinwall is that he does great work, and he also gave up reviewing Sons of Anarchy. :smug:

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 22:25 on May 31, 2017

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

SlipkPIe posted:

*Shrug* the second and third seasons don't solve any of the issues with the writing that all you guys are bringing up

But the performances and the directing are just so stellar that it doesn't matter to me at all. Almost every episode this season has really struck me

Exactly; for a show that shifted focus to a guy who might be Jesus, it's done really loving well. I don't need more and more seasons JUST about how people are dealing with the departure, I like the extra angle.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Gorn Myson posted:

I hope not and I seriously doubt it. The only two ways they can do it is either through a scientific or supernatural reasoning and the show has deliberately set up ambiguities by not providing any concrete explanations for the weird events that have happened.

Which is just how I loving love it. Finale is going to own.

I'd say it's more supernatural than not, just by going by who and what Kevin sees during his experiences.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

UmOk posted:

Like I said earlier: His afterlife experiences are ambiguous because he never meets anyone that he doesn't already know is dead(or in a coma) and he only learns things about himself.

Counterpoint, however possibly minor: Seeing his father in the tv. Not just the fact that he saw his dad (I can't remember if it's the first time it's mentioned that he went to Australia, so there might be that), but the flaming mattress part. Again, super small, but it's a thing that was unknown to Kevin Jr that he saw.

Plus, there's the fact that he is 'dead' many times and just comes back to life. I know you can be resuscitated but that doesn't look to be what's going on here.

Also, the bird in the forest coming back.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I keep seeing it getting mentioned, is American Crime any good?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

http://www.watchingtheleftovers.com/blog/coming-up-on-the-series-finale-of-the-leftovers

Beware, don't click for anyone who wants to go in totally and completely fresh. That being said, it's only three lines.

THAT being said... :stare:

Anyone else find that absolutely haunting?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I'm only like 75% of the way through (she just fell off her bike, she hears the goat now), and I've read everything you've all posted, and I still don't know what the gently caress to expect.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I just finished it. Man :negative:

And that part about Matt not wanting his son growing up forgetting about him really loving hit me :smith:

EDIT: Ha, so I work in the outskirts of Montreal, and this is where my Weather Underground App thinks I am.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Jun 5, 2017

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Fast Luck posted:

Yeah I know but that's why they can't have you talking/yelling right as the fluid approaches your head if they don't want that to happen.

Again though I don't think you're meant to crack whether she's lying by analyzing this fact though

You could sort of explain this away as her being REALLY scared, nervous, whatever. I mean, it's almost to the point where she might actually be about to be killed, that poo poo's gotta gently caress with your head.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

qbert posted:

The Vulture piece on the making of the finale is an amazing read. As much detail as you'd ever want to know about the show and how it ended.

http://www.vulture.com/2017/06/leftovers-finale-behind-the-scenes-exclusive.html

This part was interesting:
FIVE REJECTED IDEAS FOR THE ENDING

1. “It’s the end of the season. Oct. 14 comes and goes. There’s a huge massacre. Nora uses the LADR. There is a loud noise and then she kicks open the door and walks onto the street and there is nobody there. She walks until she finds an older couple that is surprised to see her.”

So, massacre aside, wouldn't this be the same version of what she told Kevin?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Rad Lieutenant posted:

I find it more satisfying to just let the meat story be

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Boris Galerkin posted:

Adding in extra details is a thing people do when they're lying though. See: the poo poo that didn't happen thread.

Nora: So I looked up the doctor, and that doctor's name... was Albert Einstein.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

oliwan posted:

and that's coming from me.

I get why you said this here, but you should stop this.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

androo posted:

Has anyone figured out how much older everyone really is? Kevin looks maybe 15 years older at most, but Nora looks another 15-20. And Kevin says his father is now 91...

Well, Scott Glenn is 76 at the time of filming, so 15 years it seems like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

oliwan posted:

Some from the top of my head: The Wire, Fargo (Season 2), Mad Men, Better Call Saul

Well I can certainly get behind this. :toot:

• Locked thread