Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

FrensaGeran posted:

If they could not change the title sequence from last season I'd appreciate it.

I dunno. It'd be super weird to have those credits -- they're super American, filtered through that kind of in house corporate advertising / Christian singles retreat vibe. Given this season is in Australia, I'd really love them to have a set of credits that incorporates the Australian landscape and stuff. That, and i don't know how much the water theme would fit in with the new season (though they could easily contrive something to make it fit...)

Speaking of which, I'm a little bummed out that they're not adding any Australian actors to the regular cast this year. The only addition is Lindsay Duncan, who's a Brit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Escobarbarian posted:

We don't know if they filmed the whole season in Australia, do we? We just know some of it has been filmed there.

PUMPED AS HELL FO DIS

From what I understand (very, very minor spoilers): most of it was filmed in Australia, with some stuff shot in their Jardin locations before the entire unit moved overseas. I imagine there'll be as much stuff shot in the US as there was California based material in Season 2 -- perhaps less.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Octy posted:

They were filming it here for about three months. I assume that means a lot of the show will be based here.

Yeah, it's only an eight episode season.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Damon Lindelof posted:

And there’s also something about Australian cinema — it’s primal, ancient and spiritual

Uh, no? Weird cultural assumptions you've got going on there buddy.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Mu Zeta posted:

Yeah he should have said it's poo poo. Like Rabbit Proof Fence and Animal Kingdom.

I love those films. I also enjoy Muriel's Wedding and The Castle. But I wouldn't describe local film the way that Lindelof does. It just seems like a really inaccurate way to describe the industry.

Maybe if he was just talking about tourism ads, I'd believe him, but he's not.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Bolivar posted:

I don't know poo poo about Australian cinema, but it's possible that he's watched other films than you guys, no? The man knows what he's doing, that's why we are reading this thread.

I'm Australian, and I work in film, so I hope that counts for something.

Like, honestly, describing Australian film as "primal, ancient and spiritual" is a bit doofy and patronising. But hopefully the show won't be?

If Ernie Dingo turns up as a wise Aboriginal man, or one of the Garveys goes on walkabout, I'll call shenanigans though.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I think it'd be a terrible idea, and I don't have any confidence in them to pull it off remotely successfully -- particularly if that afterlife stuff from last season is anything to go by.

Lindelof (and the Bad Robot crew in general) has a deeply hokey vein of pseudo spiritual good times bullshit that runs through his work. I've always found it deeply unsatisfying and arbitrary, and I'd rather the show resist that urge.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Raxivace posted:

I think the afterlife stuff in the season 2 finale was better but still harmed by bit where the guy at the bar straight up tells Kevin he needs to sing to get back. It once again gives Kevin an easy to understand video game type objective he has to clear to come back to life, though luckily Theroux loving nails it once he gets on stage.

In International Assassin, the well scene is the only one I thought worked really well. If I had to pick a single episode as my least favorite this would probably be it.

I largely agree -- though I'd probably describe the dream navigation stuff as prosaic rather than video-gamey.

But look, for me so much of the show was about a reaction to a single, momentous and inexplicable event that was significant for its singularity. There Depature was an actual, undeniable supernatural event that threw everything human beings had previously understood out of whack and utterly destabilised humanity on a deep, psychological level. All religions were proven wrong, all science was thrown into question and man was made to feel very very small. Social structures buckled, but did not break. New tribal cultures emerged to quantify this new paradigm. Life went on, coping but not metabolising the disaster. The Departure was a wound that couldn't be healed, and humankind was thrown into a constant state of doubt, bewilderment and denial as a result.

So, like, that's my reading of the show. And it's why I'm frustrated by the show's decision to create a topography of the afterlife or to build a concrete mythology to contextualise the Depature. The characters can try to do that, that's a very natural and normalised reaction to trauma. But when the show does it, it feels like an attempt to resolve and neutralise the show's concepts, and it undermines much of its thematic concerns.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

UmOk posted:

Patties husband choked on a chicken bone. Megs mom died the day before the departure. Evy lived in a town where no one departed. Laurie lost a wad of meat growing in her stomach.

I think Nora may be the only cast member who really lost anything in the departure.

There was Aimee in season 1 who, it's implied IIRC, lost her entire family to the Depature. Hence why she was living at Kevin's the entire season. Also Matt's wife went into a coma simultaneously to the Depature, so it's not like she (and he) weren't directly affected by the event.

I disagree about Laurie, though. But losing your unborn child, even if it's just in stillbirth, can really gently caress you up. I don't disagree that her child was just a lump of meat -- technically though, who isn't -- but she still lost a potential someone to the Departure and not to, you know, natural causes.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Back in 2004, HBO had Carnivale, which was pretty drat good at handling a myth arc. (And pretty drat good besides).

I don't think they'd have dropped the ball on it -- they were basically spinning gold during the middle of that decade. The Sopranos, Six Feet Under, Deadwood, Rome, The Wire. It was a good time to be a subscriber.

Over the last few years, the only dramas I've loved were Treme and The Leftovers. The comedy section is pretty good though.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Daniel Knauf was offered the same deal The Leftovers was offered -- a third season to finish the show off. He refused. Hence the show being largely unresolved.

Besides which, Carnivale was way more expensive to film than The Leftovers ever was, particularly with those lovely Australian tax break dollars being pumped into this show's third season.

Perhaps HBO management didn't "get" Carnivale, and perhaps they don't get this one. It's not like their drama department hasn't been floundering for a while. But it was in pretty good drat shape ten years ago, tbh, and with new projects by David Milch and David Simon on the horizon, it's not like I don't have hope for the channel's future.

Or, to bring things closer to the topic at hand, the upcoming season, which I'm pretty drat excited for.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I remember that a lot of people really didn't get them or their deal. A lot of people still don't.

Lots of really ugly, reactionary "should be shot on sight" sort of language before it became clear that they'd done anything particularly wrong. And, of course, the when those last two episodes reveal that they have been doing various illegal things, it sort of retroactively justified their behaviour, which I found really unsettling -- it reminded me of the way the ATFC murdered the child abuse victims back in episode two. Lots of righteous fury.

I think it's fascinating that they were capable of striking a nerve both within the show and among viewers.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Oh, Lindsay Duncan. I loving love you, and you're already pretty good in the role, but your accent needs work.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Apr 24, 2017

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Oh, noooo, it's going to be a different song over the opening credits every episode, isn't it?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Professor Shark posted:

I wish that it was the FRIENDS cast that disappeared and only David Schwimmer was left behind. He's HBO alumni too.

No joke, they did that on Revolution.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
We should be so lucky to have Scorpius turn up.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I had a whole piece here about how this show didn't quite do a good job with the handling of race, but I decided to not keep it. I think it's probably not worth the bother -- just pretend you read this post and got annoyed at my moral outrage. I'm not indigenous myself, so I'm not really speaking from a terribly informed place.

I will say this though -- What was Grace doing shopping for groceries at a Big W? What does she eat, batteries?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
That and trespassing on sacred lands.

Kevin Sr. putting all that paint on was, while not technically illegal as I understand it, deeply cultural insensitive. From the way American media treats it, not quite blackface levels, but certainly in that ballpark.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
The Christian stuff is there from Season 1 -- that entire baby Jesus thing in episode four makes it very clear, in case the Rapture parallels and the fact that one character is a priest only register as generic religious background noise.

But I guess the poster above me is specifically referring to the Jarden/Evie analogy.

I'm not the biggest fan of it, personally, but it's a compromise I'm not resistant to.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

drunkill posted:

Melbournian.

I loudly groaned when Chris Eccleston said the name in the trailer for the upcoming episode. I know he's playing an American, but I honestly hoped he'd get it right. Melbourn was one of his lot after all (though I suspect he'd take offence at my considering a "lord" to be one of "his lot", he's quite outspoken about class stuff.)

Mel-ben, not Mel-born, with the emphasis on the Mel part.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I'd not been feeling this season, in all honesty, though the last two episodes were pretty great. Particularly the fifth. But I think I was mistaking personal preference for overall quality.

That, and I prefer episodes where it turns out that everybody was wrong and things explode in people's faces because they've made a big deal out of nothing as opposed to actual magic and the weird shell games this show plays in regards to whether there's magic or not going on. I think the argument it tends to make is that there's usually not magic, but if there was a magic thing that happened your probably shouldn't overthink it because that'll just blow up in your face.

e.g. The Holy Wayne is all magic and schizzle. Nope, he's a paedophile who gets off on hugging people.
e.g. Evie has been taken in a second Departure. Nope, she's just hosed off somewhere.
e.g. My husband the Pillar Man has Departed. Nope, he's dead.
e.g. God is real and he's on this cruise ship. Nope, he's just some arsehole who lucked into leading a cult.

It's not that there aren't any answers. There are answers, they're just really really banal. (Except the Departure -- all this madness sprang into life as a reaction to an unsolvable event in the same way that a bunch of religions sprang into being as a reaction against the first unsolvable mystery: life.)

So, with this logic, the Nora's science scammers are either just scammers who are very particular about their marks, or are just stupidly microwaving people to death in a misguided attempt to solve their obsession with the unsolvable. Effectively, they're just another cult, asking their version of the same stupid questions that Nora asks for a living. Only these guys are dumb enough to think they've got enough information for human testing to begin.

...and yes, I recognise the irony of this post.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

The Insect Court posted:

The problem with Lost was that the promise of some great revelation tying everything up was what kept the show's narrative moving forward, rather than strong scripts and performances. Leftovers has the latter in abundance so there never needs to be an 'answer', dropping one in at the end of the show would ruin it.

Except, I think, an awful lot of people are actually expecting one -- even in this thread.

I reckon a large part of how this series will be received over the next few years will depend on whether they try to give one or not.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Fast Luck posted:

Why was Laurie suicidal though...

She lost her child to the Departure, and -- despite her training -- the only solution she could ever come up with is suicide. That's why she kills herself in this episode, and why she joined a suicide cult in the first place.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 15:00 on May 22, 2017

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Supercar Gautier posted:

Lindelof has actually said that within the Leftovers' universe, atheism doesn't really work anymore. Because of the departure and the way it happened (too clean and tidy to be a natural phenomenon, too far beyond human technology to be man-made), a higher power/intelligence must be involved-- whether divine or demonic or alien or whatever.

You know that the existence of aliens doesn't preclude atheist beliefs, right?

If anything, the mass undermining of traditional religions would bolster atheist thought, much like WW2 did.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
http://www.avclub.com/video/final-season-leftovers-also-its-best-256103

Despite what I personally think about the show -- Season 1 good, Christopher Eccleston amazing, frustrated by the current season but still basically enjoying the experience -- can we all agree that this video review / discussion is ludicrously bad, given that it's made by people that are apparently doing this for a living?

Choice highlights: "It's like Igmar Bergman but down to earth"; praising "Margo Martindale"'s performance; "If Seasons 2 and 3 were based on books, people would say that they were unfilmable, but then they'd watch the seasons and be, like, wow, they really captured the essence of those books."

I paraphrase, but I'm not kidding. Holy hell.

theflyingexecutive posted:

The first time they played Where Is My Mind, it went across three different scenes with Kevin and it ended up being played out of his car stereo in the third, which implies that he was listening to it on his headphones all day on loop. It's Diagetic Music 101 and slips like that are just embarrassing.

I was going to mention this. V dumb.

Also, I like Max Richter, but does he actually score this anymore? I feel like they only use the one piece of his music and just play it once every episode. It's almost Pavlovian -- PIANO MEANS YOU CRY NOW. CRY! CRY!

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

theflyingexecutive posted:

I watched season one and it was really good, then season two bottomed out. I didn't watch three right away, but a bunch of people on the forums said it was much better than two and here we are

I'm in a similar boat -- I really enjoyed a lot of the first season, I was frustrated by the ultimate destination of the second as I felt it undermined a lot of what I thought the show was doing, though I largely made my peace with it.

The third season keeps trying my patience though, but it's a death by thousand cuts situation, rather than some fundamental wonkyness (other than the aforementioned season 2 problems, which I think I share with a few other posters and as such won't bother going in to). It's just a lot of little things that I've been jamming up against -- I think parts of the season have been poorly motivated, both from a characterisation perspective, and in terms of audience positioning -- but, like I said, I've mostly been fine with it.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Yeah, exactly. They're all hopped up on the idea that the seven year anniversary of the Departure is going to be a big deal, but this is based on absolutely nothing but a collective gut feeling. It's mass delusion.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Lord Krangdar posted:

Both times it was because she felt too broken to keep trying to help the broken people around her.

From her perspective everyone around her had gotten caught up in shared delusions, and they had already killed one man and were planning on killing Kevin over them. Also she apparently helped lead Nora to her death over a false hope, too. At first she fell back on her usual shtick: manipulating people and lying to them in order to hopefully help steer them onto a healthier path. Like with her and Tommy's placebo hugging cult, or her fake palm-reading business, or her trying to help Kevin deal with his delusions by getting that Muslim woman to pretend to be Evie. But when she spoke to her husband John outside Grace's house he inadvertently revealed that their whole relationship was based on a lie; she thought their love and their palm-reading thing had helped him move past Evie's death, but the whole time he still believed she was alive. And now, worse, he believed Kevin should die to give Evie a message in the afterlife.

Later at dinner Kevin Sr. called her out for not actually believing in what they were doing (by relating the story of how she acted when he first started hearing voices), but the problem was she no longer believed in her own alternate agenda either. So when Kevin came back, ready to die, she asked him if he was scared and he said no. She said she wasn't either, and at that point she had decided to die too. I think she realized that, though she still didn't believe it, maybe Kevin was right and there was an afterlife for her. Or the world was ending regardless. Or they were wrong and they were about to drown Kevin over their shared delusions, and she couldn't do anything about it. "They're all gone". "Stop wasting your breath".

Yeah, I pretty much thinks this as well. I think the way they open the episode was important too, to suggest that she'd been flirting with depression and suicide for years. She pulled out of her downward spiral the first time for her daughter, but her phone call at the end of the episode just emphasises to her how happy they are and how much they don't need her.

A big part of suicide is convincing yourself that everyone would be happier if you were gone -- or, at least, would be largely unaffected after a period of grief. I think you can see her quietly ticking those boxes off throughout the episode, and I suspect that no one's going to notice her absence in the next few episodes, partly to preserve the ambiguity, but I think also because she's (only) partly right.

Also, in a knock against the idea that Kevin's powers are anything other than electrical spasms in a starving brain, Laurie hasn't shown up there yet. It's conceivable that Kevin's been told about Sunday and other Kevin, and incorporated them into his mindscape thanks to that, but you'd think if he actually had this power he'd definitely connect with Laurie over the dogman.

(Also, I said "ambiguity" when referring to Laurie's death, but I don't really believe that -- I'm just being generous to those that, you know, do. She even takes a packet of cigarettes off of Nora at the end; that's a return to the GR and a return to suicide. I honestly think that's pretty clear.)

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Jun 2, 2017

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

savinhill posted:

I so wish they also did more with John, who was such a commanding presence in season two and one of the biggest reasons why it was such a stellar season of television, but he was basically relegated to cameo support this season for whatever bizarre reason.

Also, what a waste of Lindsey Duncan.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
It's Schrodinger's Nora.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

This is my favourite.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I don't even think it's, strictly speaking, a lie. It's just not true, and she's deluded herself to the point where she basically believes it. She just needs someone else to share the delusion with.

Ultimately, for a show that so often was about the power of delusion -- both in regards to self-delusion, and the way it operates on a mass scale -- I reckon it makes a strong thematic endpoint. The alternative is to have the show come completely unteathered, and raises a thousand stupid questions that it just can't solve.

(Also the more I think about it, the less I feel that Kevin's deathworld actually contributed to the show. I get that it contributes a bit, in terms of characterisation, and I know a lot of people found it very entertaining, but on some level it's basically a massive tangent.)

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Niwrad posted:

I'm going to need Max Richter in this too.

He'd have to do something considerably different to what he usually does.

I'd prefer someone like Cristobal Tapia de Veer.

(Leder's a good choice for direction, though.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Yeah, I think -- at the time -- there wasn't a great deal of appreciation for the fact that it was a post-apocalyptic show, so a lot of the characterisation and world building was seen as being laughably extreme. That, and there's not an awful lot of mythology to that season; its uptick in popularity happens pretty much simultaneously with the addition of JJ Abrahms style pulpy narrative beats.

• Locked thread