Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

UmOk posted:

Semi-reboot?
Seasons 2 & 3 are kind of a different show than season 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

This owns.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Popelmon posted:

28 :eng101:.

The low number of episodes really makes it more appealing to rewatch. I kinda want to rewatch The Sopranos and Breaking Bad but there are just so many god drat episodes, I don't have time for that!
Yeah I love Breaking Bad but it does have a lot of episodes.

It's funny because I remember once thinking it was relatively short compared to Lost, which has like twice as many.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Yeah I feel like Season 1 is maybe Lindelof at his peak, and while I like seasons 2 and 3 I feel like too much of those is just him falling back on some stuff I didn't like as much from Lost.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Gorn Myson posted:

Season 2 and 3 feel far more creative and audacious to me. There are very few shows out there that have a writers room that would submit a script like "International Assassin", but this show did.
All they really did in International Assassin was a condensed version of Inception, one of the most popular films of the last decade. I don't really think that is super bold.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Last Chance posted:

lol this is such an inaccurate and reductive way to describe that episode that it's sort of funny.
Not really, and I'm far from the first person to make that comparison.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Escobarbarian posted:

wtf are you talking about
The entire aesthetic and general premise of going into an ambiguously real dream world to do a Bond-esque movie plot is straight out of Inception dude. That's why I contended that the episode was somehow bold or daring, if all that they were doing was lifting something from a recent popular movie.

The only major difference between them besides running time is that International Assassin has a better ending than Inception does.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Gorn Myson posted:

Its not filmed, edited, acted, scored or even remotely similar in terms of context to Inception beyond some superficial comparisons.
Agreed on the editing and scoring being different, I don't think I necessarily agree on the acting and I don't agree on the filming (If by filming you mean how its presented). Both intentionally downplay much in the way of any kind of surrealism you typically see in these kinds of stories (Like Lynch or Bunuel), both emphasize a veneer of realism over the worlds, and both focus on making the worlds simplistic and easy to understand (Inception through needless exposition, International Assassin through Kevin being given fairly simple goals).

Escobarbarian posted:

Seriously. The closest you can get is “they take place in dream worlds”. The dreams in Inception aren’t ambiguous (they’re definitely not real, they’re dreams), and the “Bond poo poo” is completely different in the movie and the episode. Not to mention the context behind International Assassin is completely different which is more likely what people are talking about when they talk about the episode being original or whatever (although you could make an argument it’s similar to Sopranos coma visions I suppose)
A lot of people debate when the dreams start and end in Inception though (I.e. people saying DiCaprio was always in the dream, or never left even at the end or whatever), which admittedly is different than how the ambiguity of the existence of Leftovers' Hotel World is generated. I don't think the Bond poo poo not literally being exactly the same either is that relevant though- like you seemed to pick up on what I was talking about without me having to go into much detail about it.

I haven't seen this Soprano's episode so I don't know how that compares.

Popelmon posted:

Eh, It's a Matt, Matt, Matt, Matt World is straight up garbage because it's just Roar (1981) on a boat :smug:.
The point isn't that the episode is bad because it lifts from Inception, its that it isn't particularly original. I haven't seen this Roar movie but if it was about a religious man debating his faith after he encounters a man claiming to be God, an orgy, and also a lion I'd certainly be surprised and would also probably watch it tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I like the Baby Jesus one because of how it explores Kevin and Jill's relationship, even if the Baby Jesus part itself is a bit silly.

• Locked thread