Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Invalid Validation posted:

It's all good you can like whichever season more just as long as you like the show. If you didn't like the show period then get the gently caress out and find a magic man to give you a hug.

God, seriously. Now I know what it must have been like having a bunch of Lost haters around while during the first few seasons (I didn't start watching till mid-season 5).

No wait, actually I already knew what it's like (see BSG threads in re: doctor thodt).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

UmOk posted:

It's hard to believe they did that many episodes and very little, if any, was filler.

*ahem* the first half of season 3 would like a word with you.

(ABC wouldn't commit to an end date, so the creators taught them a lesson by going hog-wild with filler. It worked. They got their date, and the remaining seasons were shorter and tighter, s6 issues notwithstanding.)

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

oliwan posted:

Like i said before, i have an MA in literature, I'm an English teacher, i have lots of experience with listening to arguments about storytelling, thematics, etc. Please tell me why you think this was a good episode.

Sounds like you could've just skipped the degree and let us commoners tell you what's what.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

No but it can bend them and suck them down into a hole.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

drunkill posted:

So they invented a machine to microwave the leftovers?

:eyepop:

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

You know that MA you got? Give it back.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

STOP
WASTING
YOUR
BREATH

:golfclap:

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

As I just learned/was reminded of from reading Sepinwall's recap:

:aaaaa:

Hipster_Doofus fucked around with this message at 08:14 on May 15, 2017

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

I agree. It's totally apples to oranges, but I think they're both great, though Lost was a little heavy-handed about it sometimes. I really appreciate the more subtle and sparing use of in The Leftovers.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

It feels like they've set me (us) up with kinda knowing the general vein in which this all turns out (e.g. "What do we do now?" (i.e. "It was all bullshit wasn't it?"))... but knowing this show, and knowing there's one episode left, I'm hoping it's a total fake-out the likes of which we cannot even conceive and every drat thing we ever thought will be utterly turned on its mother loving ear.

Hipster_Doofus fucked around with this message at 17:54 on May 30, 2017

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Uhh, I don't wanna be that guy, but some of us avoid even episode titles for a reason.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Keep going, you're living up to your username!

For real, though, how is that remotely a spoiler? Did you not catch the ending of 301? It just means the episode focuses on Nora.

Yeah, ok... duh me. Feeling stupid now. Of course the finale would be mostly Nora-centric, and yeah nothing was really given away. Sorry. I've been awake for like 29 hours, which would have been nothing to me 20 years ago. But now? Feelin' pretty loopy. Again, sorry, and carry on! :salute:

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

I'm visiting family tomorrow, and I had to a dream that they wanted to watch this show, but only in quick recap :negative:

And apparently in my dream's universe, this was a normal thing, because I had a tape (yes, tape) ready to show to them.

Everything was more or less on track, but during the end of season 1, there was an old man character who was fairly built and went everywhere naked except for a towel around his waste (and sometimes he was just in a bathrobe), holding two sticks of dynamite that he continually would threaten to light. His undoing was setting up a hostage situation in some shack, like the Cairo one, and the cops (Kevin included) shut off his power to get him out. He accidentally lit one of his sticks when it got too close to a candle he had lit for light.

Right before he blew himself and everyone else all to hell, he whispered something to one of the hostages. Then the entire shack exploded in glorious slow motion.

Towel dynamite dude was played by Patrick Stewart.

You had me at the dynamite, but Patrick Stewart was a phenomenal finishing touch.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Haha, YES! I should have realized there was a reason that tickled my fancy, and that is it. Not really a great movie, but absolutely worth watching once. Stewart is goddamned hilarious in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Jesus, a quote!=edit 12 days later. I wonder what I was going to change.

Hipster_Doofus fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Jul 9, 2017

• Locked thread