Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Professor Shark posted:

*Throws beer bottle on the floor and punches the wall*

*sobs*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Yeah it's an obvious troll. don't engage

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Ann Dowd was phenomenal. Emmy worthy performance imo

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

drunkill posted:

Ugh, it is called the State Library not the Melbourne library, that doesn't exist. Worst show.

?? That's what they refer to it as in the show:

I think only Laurie calls it the "Melbourne library" because she isn't from there??

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Matt sometimes makes me think he's the most hosed up one of all lol..

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Professor Shark posted:

Spoilers from Season 3 Trailer and interview with author of the original novel:

I'm leaning towards The End of the World, with fanatics starting WW3 based on the submariners we saw and the man detonating an explosive. Perrotta talked about how it seems to be human nature to wish for the end of the world, with each generation thinking that they'll be the last ones. I think that the Where is going to be an identical world to ours, maybe mysteriously emptied, and that Nora is going to go through. Also based on the trailer, it looks like Kevin Jr is going back to the hotel or at least the Land of the Dead, I'm wondering what his goal is going to be.

Or, you know, nothing will happen and LOST really messed me up
I've been thinking this too (specifically in regards to the explosives and submarines from the season trailer), and I have a wild theory about how WW3/nuclear war actually ends up causing the great departure in the first place, based on how the Perfect Strangers guy explained the physics involved in sending people to where the departed went. But that just might be me not wanting to let the mystery be.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Yeah I really liked that episode. It was so weird and insane. Basically:

tomapot posted:

loving Matt episodes never fail to deliver.

Also, God was bridge guy from International Assassin/I Live Here Now, right? Kevin already met this guy somehow. How the gently caress did that happen??

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I really wanted Kev and Nora to have a smoke together and chill and finally chat about what's actually happening to them. But then Kevin almost burns down the hotel like it he was an international assassin or something :mad:

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

HanabaL03 posted:

Multiple critics who have already seen this episode have stated that tonight's is one of the best of the series.

:woop:

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

HanabaL03 posted:

The director of next weeks episode also directed "International Assassin". Oh man....

:woop:

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Wonder if Kevin will see her in The Other Place and be like "wtf??" but it will be too late for her because she already drank the water.. in the ocean..

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Fast Luck posted:

Last time Kevin died he had to sing Homeward Bound and think about Nora to get back. Is he gonna want to come back enough this time

From the season trailer in the OP that I've watched 1000x now:

We see Kevin Sr. dunk Jr. into a normal bathtub "If I could do this instead of you, I would", but then it cuts to Kevin underwater with the seesaw from the pond behind him, so either he goes under twice, or something interrupts the first attempt.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I liked that cool bit of electronicy music in the s2 finale where Kevin walks into Jarden after being shot by John and returning from The Other Place. Dunno if it was original or taken from something else

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Yes, there's an episode.

Does IMDB just not work for some people? :iiam:

IMDb isn't always a reliable source

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Vanderdeath posted:

Both this episode's opening and the one with the French guy quietly praying made me realize how unsettling Season 2's opening is without the peppy country song.

I hope they bring it back for the finale!!

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

my body is ready (to transport to the lonely earth where Nora goes after using the machine)

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Not to get too LOSTy on you guys, but wtf is this nun's necklace from ep 301:

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

:')

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I really liked that ending. What a great show

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Niwrad posted:

I think she made it up. It made a better story. It allows her to bring Kevin back into her life.

I don't think she did, but I really think it could go either way and both interpretations work fantastically. Super impressed by this episode.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

oliwan posted:

I mean, in a kind reading the finale (and by extension, the season) is a postmodern meditation on truth, fiction and the nature of storytelling, but ehhh, it's no Paul Auster.

oliwan posted:

lol dude, the finale isn't even trying to go for ambiguity -- it's super obvious that Nora's is lying, that's the whole point, and it makes the finale so much better for it. The thematics, the plot, the whole narrative works towards this climactic scene with Nora's story, and none of it works if you take Nora's story at face value. If they wanted to make it ambiguous, they would've at least filmed or showed part of the story she tells.

"Nora went to the other place and came back" is going to be the new "they were all dead all along" of retarded interpretations.

You suck

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

JethroMcB posted:

One would assume (hope) that the LADR scientists intentionally moved the device to use only in locations that they knew would be free of obstructions.

I got the sense that nothing else changed about the world for the 2% when the 98% vanished, since we only heard one or two instances of objects vanishing with the Departed. Sam would have been fine, securely fastened in his car seat (And luckily that other kid's dad would be nearby, so he would've been found very quickly.)

Less lucky: The guy driving the car that collided with Matt and Mary. He would've been the only guy on the road when every other car on Main Street in Mapleton suddenly went driverless.

Least lucky: The fetus inside Laurie :smith:

UmOk posted:

Hahahahahaha. Good catch

Yeah, drat lol..

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I don't have a gif, but I like in the s2 finale when John says to Kev: "I killed you" and Kev just kinda dumbly replies ".. Nope."

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Uhhh.. Ok, dude. :stare:

it's okay. i read about this. i think that's called "Hyperbole" -- i looked it up via Google

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

oliwan posted:

You guys should read up on your Barthes and your Foucault if you're​ bringing the authors into it:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Death_of_the_Author

Taking Nora's story at face value really is extremely retarded and demonstrates a total lack of understanding of the finale that has to be, I imagine, the product of a severely broken brain. It also totally diminishes the power of the finale, since the lie and Kevin and Nora's acceptance of it is the whole point of the scene, and the whole point of their character development. It doesn't matter what Lindelof says or doesn't say -- we can only go by what is there.

You suck

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Poppyseed Poundcake posted:

And people complain about the quality of front page content these day. Was that kid lowtax's nephew or something?

Lol

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

snoremac posted:

I also felt Kevin's psychotic breakdown turning out to be supernatural was a letdown, mainly because I was sympathizing with it as a breakdown.
Which breakdown? Kevin had several, and I don't think there was anything 100% confirmed supernatural about any of them, except when he sees his dad tripping balls in the hotel TV. And maybe him coming back to life after essentially dying.

Also, just because some supernatural stuff may have occurred doesn't mean that Kevin isn't completely nuts and those "breakdowns" weren't the markings of a legit insane guy.

snoremac posted:

So is it canon that Kevin stopped the flood or what?

Lord Krangdar posted:

To me it was clear by the end there never was a flood, and never was going to be. It was just easier to believe the world was ending than to continue living in it.

Basically what this poster said.

There was no flood, the world didn't end, nobody else disappeared. The world moved on and seems to be healing from what we've seen of future Australia and the way Kevin says "Not so much" when Nora asks him if they still call Jarden "Miracle."

Last Chance fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Aug 11, 2017

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I'm very excited about this. I hope the pilot's good.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Lmfao these are great

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Season 1 actually fuckin' owns and is so abysmally sad and brutally emotionally nut-kicking that normals have trouble handling it

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Raxivace posted:

All they really did in International Assassin was a condensed version of Inception, one of the most popular films of the last decade. I don't really think that is super bold.

lol this is such an inaccurate and reductive way to describe that episode that it's sort of funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I think it’s the one where Nora is at the conference and her badge got stolen. I dunno, though, I liked it just fine. It was kind of disjointed but it felt like it was disjointed in an intentional way that matched with Nora’s headspace.
It's actually the one where Kevin rescues baby Jesus lol. I didn't mind that one either though. It's slow and weird.

I remember really liking that Nora conference one on my s1 rewatch.

UmOk posted:

Also: One of the biggest strengths of season one was the GR scenes.

Totally agree. I love how it highlights the great acting

• Locked thread