Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

Edit: Sorry, wrong thread.

However it was MLS-expansion related so if you are interested I moved it here, as it mostly involves lower league issues:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3762847&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=9

Do over Ham fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jan 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

whypick1 posted:

12 cities have submitted bids for the 4 expansion team slots:

Charlotte
Cincinatti - Promoting USL side Cincinatti FC

FC Cincinnati. :eng101:

quote:

Detroit - Ownership group includes the owners of the Cleveland Cavaliers and the Detroit Pistons.
Indianapolis - Promoting NASL side Indy Eleven
Nashville
Phoenix - Promoting USL side Phoenix Rising FC (currently coached by Frank Yallop :laugh:)
Raleigh-Durham - Promoting USL side Carolina Railhawks North Carolina FC (:barf:)

North Carolina FC (nee Carolina Railhawks) is NASL.

quote:

Sacramento - Part of the investor group is Jed York, who is probably the worst team owner on this continent, if not hemisphere.

Good news! Sacramento Republic just added former HP CEO and failed California governor candidate Meg Whitman to their ownership group! Things are really looking up! :D

quote:

St. Louis - No, their plan does not involve using the now-abandoned stadium the Rams used to play in
San Antonio - Promoting USL side San Antonio FC
Tampa Bay - Promoting NASL side Tampa Bay Rowdies

Former NASL side Tampa Bay Rowdies; Rowdies play in USL starting this year.

quote:

If it were up to me, Cincy/Raleigh/San Antonio would be rejected until they got actual team names and Sacramento would be kicked out on the basis of Jed York being a giant fuckboi who I don't making GBS threads up another sports league I care about.

You forgot to mention San Diego. Like St. Louis, San Diego is a victim of NFL relocation to Los Angeles; Garber has a hardon for this type of situation. Phoenix and Indy were late, last minute additions; 10 were announced about a month ago, and now there are 12.

Also, there is Miami, Miami Beckham United (MBU), David Beckham's attempt to get an MLS team, celebrating three years of failure this upcoming February 5th; they are technically candidate number 13 but of course they are not one of the 12 who submitted bids to MLS by this Jan. 31st, as they have been given their own guaranteed spot 3 years ago by MLS. Garber needs to finally give Beckham a hard deadline and if MBU doesn't make it, give their spot to someone else; there are plenty of cities in the 12 who have everything in place - SSS, ownership group, etc, and who are ready for MLS now; no reason why they should have to wait on Miami to get its act together.

shirts and skins posted:

Two bids from NC, amazing. Does Orlando sort of block Tampa from promotion, or is that far enough away? Who wants more summer trips to Texas? Because the answer is not me.

According to the internet, travel time between Orlando City's new stadium and Al Lang stadium in St. Pete is 1 hour, 43 minutes. That is probably accurate on weekends with zero traffic; any kind of traffic delays however and the travel time could be considerably more.

Edit to add: out of curiosity I checked the distance between Sacramento's proposed stadium and Avaya stadium in San Jose, and compared it to the distance between Orlando City's new stadium and Al Lang stadium in St. Pete. Sacramento proposed Railyards stadium: 116 miles to San Jose (and 1 hour, 50 minutes, but the exact time varies on when you ask); Al Lang in St. Pete to Orlando City's stadium: 107 miles (1 hour, 42 minutes, but the exact time varies on when you ask).

So, basically, some people are arguing that the Tampa Bay Rowdies can't get into MLS because they are 9 miles closer to Orlando than Sacramento is to San Jose, and also that Sacramento has the best odds of getting into MLS (at least, before the recent controversy surfaced). Yeah, 9 miles closer is apparently a deal killer according to some. I don't get it; some people just have this thing against the Tampa Bay area that doesn't have anything to do with reality, or with the reality of MLS.

Orlando City SC has been grumbling about "muh territorial rights" but they can't block the Tampa Bay Rowdies if Don Garber and the MLS expansion committee want them. Phil Rawlins is on the MLS expansion committee, but interestingly he's effectively been kicked out of control of Orlando City by the majority owner and has nothing but an honorary title at OCSC now; he's got no reason to carry water for the Orlando City majority owner or the Orlando City executives, while on the expansion committee.

Don Garber in his comments at USF in Tampa back in October indicated that there's nothing blocking Tampa Bay Rowdies from joining MLS; Orlando City's territorial rights can be renegotiated. Garber acknowledged that Tampa/St. Pete was the largest TV market that currently does not have an MLS team and it would be a good addition to the league; he certainly did not see the Tampa Bay area as being part of Orlando's TV market even if the ridiculous MLS territorial rules currently give all of northern and central Florida over to Orlando City's "territory". The number of people in the Tampa Bay area who actively follow Orlando City is negligible and Orlando City doesn't do any serious marketing or promoting in the Tampa Bay area or even try to do anything to attract significant numbers of fans outside of the larger Orlando area.

Also, Garber in his talks at USF in Tampa back in October indicated that he was attracted to the idea of close local geographical rivalries in MLS; he pointed to having two teams in New York City and two teams in Los Angeles as being positive examples of having more close geographical rivalries in MLS. This was in the context of being asked if Orlando and Tampa Bay were too close to each other; Garber's comments indicated that he considered the geographical proximity of the two markets a positive for Tampa Bay Rowdies chances of getting into MLS, not a negative.

If the Tampa Bay Rowdies do get into MLS you will enjoy that summer trip to St. Pete a lot more than another summer trip to Texas. In St. Pete, at Al Lang you get the fresh breezes off of the gulf or the bay; and a nice view of the boats in the harbor next to the stadium; if you're into art museums, downtown St. Pete has a ton of them, with more on the way. And lots of bars and restaurants and nightlife. St. Pete is turning into a bit of the hipster burg; ie a Portland with a tan if you will. If that isn't too contradictory.

Speaking of hipsters, when in St. Pete try The Notorious P.I.G. and other grilled cheese sandwiches, tomato soup, fresh hand cut french fries, and other yummy stuff at Central Melt on Central Avenue in St. Pete:

https://www.facebook.com/CentralMelt/

Do over Ham fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Feb 3, 2017

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

whypick1 posted:

This all would've been easier had the USSF just killed NASL :colbert:

They're staying loyal to US soccer's 130+ year history of organizational chaos.

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

ShutteredIn posted:

Meg Whitman getting involved in anything is basically a death knell.

whypick1 posted:

She was better than our last 3 CEOs :shepicide:

Damning with faint praise.

She started the sharp decline though; once that happens each new CEO seems worse than the last, but, that's kind of due to an accumulative effect. HP has been on a particularly bad run of CEOs though. (Edit nevermind I was thinking of the other HP CEO failed political candidate.)

Gigi Galli posted:

It's insane. The league needs to split in to two if they're really adding four more teams.

Five more if you count Miami.

My theory is that since traditional pro/rel won't happen, and MLS is Single Entity, best just to keep expanding MLS until it covers every viable market, and institute pseudo-pro/rel within the Single Entity MLS.

Fat Lowtax posted:

I hope Beckham just goes rogue and tries to plop a team down in Albuquerque or some poo poo. There has to be some random city government trying to talk to him

Beckham and his partners (Miami Beckham United) apparently don't have the money to build a SSS, in a really bad location in Miami (Overtown), so he's not going to have the money to build a SSS anywhere else, either. He needs an additional billionaire investor. He's had three years trying in Miami, at four different locations. MBU has been trying to get it done at the fourth location in Overtown for over a year, and has tried at least three different potential new owners (that we know of, and no doubt many more that we don't know about) without success. I think it may be the Overtown location that is the deal killer. When MBU hit the 1,000 day anniversary late last year, Tim Leiweke came out with a statement that MBU would have a big announcement by the end of the year. November and December came and went without a peep. This past January Don Garber was saying that Miami was going to happen real soon now, but we've seen absolutely no signs of that yet.

People point to Las Vegas as possibly David Beckham's backup plan, due to the Oakland Raiders wanting to build an NFL stadium in Las Vegas partly paid for by Sheldon Adelson. There are several problems with this theory: MLS said no to Las Vegas a few years ago; Las Vegas is a small market (40th TV market) with not terribly good demographics for MLS (ie, relative lack of soccer moms/dads and urban millennial hipster types; lower wage transitory population, etc.); and more particularly, no one bothered to submit an application for Las Vegas to MLS before the January 31st deadline. If the Raiders owners or Sheldon Adelson want an MLS team to share their NFL stadium with, they aren't doing any of the necessary legwork to make it happen. This will make it difficult for Beckham to pivot to Las Vegas at the last minute if/when he admits that Miami won't happen.

If Beckham does go looking for a backup city to replace Miami, I think Garber would probably insist that he talk to one of the 12 current MLS expansion candidates. Since Beckham needs an additional billionaire owner, and a SSS, he isn't likely to find a candidate that isn't already one of these 12 MLS expansion candidates, in any case. Everyone who is serious about MLS has already put in their application for MLS expansion by the January 31st deadline.

As it so happens the Tampa Bay Rowdies owner and some Rowdies fans have already been thinking along these lines:

quote:

Rowdies Contacted David Beckham About Possibly Partnering in Tampa Bay

By Jake Nutting on 01/04/2017

http://www.empireofsoccer.com/rowdies-contacted-david-beckham-about-possibly-partnering-in-tampa-bay-56741/

Time may be running out for David Beckham to get a stadium deal done for his long-gestating franchise in Miami, but he may have another option on the table — if he returns the messages the Tampa Bay Rowdies have left for him.

Only a little under a month into formally launching their campaign to bring the league back to Tampa Bay, the Rowdies say they have contacted David Beckham a few times to gauge his interest in checking out what they’ve built on the west coast of the state.

In an interview with EoS, Rowdies Owner Bill Edwards acknowledged he’d more than entertained the notion of calling up the former England star after his well-documented struggles in finalizing a deal in Miami – he actually dialed the English star.

“That’s come up so many times and there have been so many letters saying ‘Why doesn’t Beckham come to St Petersburg?” Edwards said. “The answer is yes, we have. We’ve tried to reach out to no avail, but [Beckham] should just come visit and take a look.”

Edwards even relied on some help from another former star of the England national team to get in touch with Beckham. According to Edwards, current Rowdies midfielder and past Premier League champion Joe Cole has been in contact with Beckham recently.

“We’ve got one of [Beckham’s] former teammates here — Joe Cole,” he said. “They played for years together. Joe’s reached out. They’re old friends. I can’t tell you what Joe and he said to each another, but we do know that Joe has done that.”

It's a very long shot but, but better to ask than not ask. Who knows what might happen. Rowdies do have the Florida, urban, downtown waterfront stadium that Beckham wanted in Miami, but could not get. He just needs to look 4 hours drive north of Miami.

Do over Ham fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Feb 2, 2017

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

whypick1 posted:

Uh, Whitman was the last CEO before the split and is still the CEO of HPE (which is not the one I work for). Did you confuse her with Fiorina (who definitely tanked the company)?

Split the difference and put the team in Cape Coral :v:

Thanks I do get those two confused.

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

Moktaro posted:

The only reason I would want to see a team in Miami is so we can have fun predicting whether it becomes financially underwater before becoming literally underwater. :v:

Waterworld 2, starring David Beckham as The Mariner.

Today, Feb. 5th, marks the 3rd year anniversary of David Beckham's Miami announcement.

MLS front office still putting out lots of vague happytalk about Miami happening real soon, any day now. :rolleyes:

I'll bet they do their best to ignore this particular anniversary.

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

Hoover Dam posted:

LOOK WHAT I GOT TODAY

Season ticket holders got jackets this year. They're made of knit jersey like a thin sweatshirt minus the fleece inside. It is too warm to wear them today. In Boston. In February.

We also have our choice of Meet the Revs or a bus trip to a RBNY away game.

Total cost, including parking: about $600 per seat, and that's front row midfield. Now, of course, getting to and from the stadium is a fuckin' chore that eats a quarter tank of gas and most of a day even for my tiny squaremobile, but there you have it.

Ah yes that explains the large box at my front door this year rather than the usual small box. I could have used the jacket earlier this month but it's just too warm today. New England weather.

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

quote:

Don Garber hints at retirement during D.C. United stadium groundbreaking

http://www.foxsports.com/soccer/story/don-garber-hints-at-retirement-during-d-c-united-stadium-groundbreaking-022817

WASHINGTON D.C. — For MLS Commissioner Don Garber, the groundbreaking for new D.C. United stadium Audi Field on Monday was a relief … and puts him one step closer to being able to walk away from the job with a legacy he feels good about.

On a cloudy, chilly day on Buzzard Point, the spot on D.C.’s southwest riverfront where United hopes to open its new stadium in summer 2018, hundreds of fans, media members, and city employees gathered to break ground on the site that will become Audi Field. Moments after putting shovel to dirt, Garber spoke about the club needing to finally get its own home.

“Our league needed one of its most historic — if not its most historic team — to be a frontrunner as opposed to being one of those teams that just couldn’t get it done,” Garber said.

“So we have one more to do in New England,” Garber said, smiling. “I think that’s the one where I might hang up the cleats, at that groundbreaking.”

Garber turns 60 this year, and has been serving as MLS Commissioner since 1999, a tenure of 18 years.

Calling it now: Garber will die in office at the age of 90 still waiting for the New England Revolution SSS to happen.

Do over Ham fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Mar 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

whypick1 posted:

Which happens first: NE SSS or Miami Beckhams?

NE SSS, because Miami Beckhams is never happening. A non-Beckham Miami team might get into MLS before a NE SSS is built....twenty or thirty years from now. I'm an optimist. :unsmith:

New York Cosmos are tanned, rested.

Rob Stone no like Kraft tax write off soccer team:

http://www.thebentmusket.com/2017/2/28/14767544/fox-soccer-rob-stone-blasts-new-england-revolution-kraft-sirius-xm

Do over Ham fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Mar 1, 2017

• Locked thread