Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

trem_two posted:

Apparently Atlanta are trading Irwin to...TFC

There seems to be a lucrative market in flipping keepers for Garberbucks :shrug:

lol, legal extortion. So we lost duvall and we released two center backs. On top of that two other defenders are injured. We really need to shore up the back line and quick. Hey how about a DP center back? I know it's a novel idea that doesn't align with MLS primary goal of tricking people into arenas to see past it goal scorers who people recognize but I think it would help out a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

I haven't been paying attention to much transfer news but I've seen like 10 Costa Ricans linked to various clubs. There's also the crazy rumor that some firm wants to buy the Cosmos rights + the Redbulls franchise and rebrand.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

I'm fine with being the first team to give Atlanta United Dynamo FC Union their first L

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Johnny Foreigners getting the cup tatooed on them, we're bigtime now.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

The New York Red Bulls is a top 50% team name in the MLS now which is hilarious.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

I'm not reading through all of these paragraphs but I think both sides are overreacting. I think the MLS is on decent path for US talent development except for the loving rapid expansion. The Red Bulls had 12 foreign players on the roster last season, six of which would start under perfect conditions. It's not like the J-league where you can only have 2 internationals and one AFC player and that's that. Everyone knows the real issues here stem from youth soccer, coaching, and facilities not having too many nationals or too few nationals in the league.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Byzantium the league

quote:

In a truly MLS-level trade, the New York Red Bulls have actually done something this offseason, they just never announced it. This gets all sorts of complicated, so let us start from the beginning.

Back in February of 2016, DC United sent Connor Doyle to the Colorado Rapids in exchange for a third-round draft pick in the 2017 MLS SuperDraft. Then, a few days later, DC acquired Luciano Acosta on loan from Boca Juniors. Prior to that, the New York Red Bulls had held Acosta’s discovery rights after scouting the player around the same time they scouted Gonzalo Veron. The Red Bulls gave up those rights “after not making an offer to Boca Juniors (required by MLS if a second team is interested)” and “United obtained the right to engage in talks with Acosta in exchange for a 2017 conditional SuperDraft pick prior to pursuing the midfielder.”

This is where it gets interesting. The condition in the “conditional” draft pick, was whether or not Acosta played 75% or more of DC’s games. However, that was not announced at the time. The 22 year-old midfielder played in 31 of United’s 34 regular season games, roughly 91% of the season. As such New York received DC’s third-round pick, the one DC received from Colorado, instead of United’s fourth-round pick. New York could not receive DC United’s natural third-round pick, as that had already been traded to Seattle in exchange for David Estrada back in 2014.

But wait, there is more! New York does not have that third-round pick anymore. Instead, Orlando City does. Back when New York traded for Aurelien Collin in April, New York sent Orlando a conditional fourth-round draft pick. Apparently, that condition was whether or not DC United’s Luciano Acosta played at least 26 games for DC. As such Orlando City currently has Colorado’s 2017 third-round SuperDraft pick.

To summarize: Colorado sent DC a draft pick for Conor Doyle. DC used their own fourth-round draft pick to acquire Luciano Acosta’s discovery rights from the New York Red Bulls, conditionally. In the meantime, New York traded for Aurelien Collin, sending Orlando City DC United’s 2017 fourth-round draft pick, conditionally. When Acosta finished his season, that condition was fulfilled and New York was given the Colorado Rapid’s third-round pick, from DC United. In turn, they immediately sent to Orlando.

And of the four team’s involved in this process, no one announced anything about this pick being traded after the season ended, at all (though I cannot really blame Colorado).

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

You can look through these names and tell me if a 3rd round + draft pick is worth anything
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_MLS_SuperDraft#Round_3
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_MLS_SuperDraft#Round_3
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_MLS_SuperDraft#Round_3

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Gigi Galli posted:

Femi seems ok so far!

I (mostly) wasn't trying to be a dick with that post, I seriously just never hear anything about the drafts except for everyone saying how there are a ton of them. Thanks.

Ha, no I didn't take it that way at all. I honestly know nothing about how the MLS operates in general and trades specifically. I just assumed anything past the first 10 picks in an MLS draft would be a garbage fire and I actually just wiki'd that for myself to make sure.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

If they did this than they definitely have a good trade in mind. Dax is good and cares about the team but he's beginning to fall off.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

The Redbulls have tightened the pursestrings and tried to sell everyone on the idea that our youth system is so good we don't need to spend cash. It's a top 3 MLS youth academy but it's still an MLS youth academy. We badly need reinforcing and I'm getting annoyed at the office with their "transfer moves" and the Dax move. The idea they sold was more sensible young DPs with an upside instead of past it names on inflated contracts, the reality is basically no signings at all. The team will still make the playoffs and I think if that keeps happening we're doomed to be sidled with these cheapskates for awhile. We were bottom 4 on MLS salaries last year or something.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

camoseven posted:

That seems like a pretty big overreaction considering y'all won the east last year and still have most of those players. The Dax trade was weird and I don't understand it despite having read a few "here's why NYRB traded Dax" articles, but other than that I don't understand what you're mad about.

We had like the 4th lowest wage bill in the league and we had at least one dp slot open. Instead of winning the east we could've possibly won the whole thing if we spent even just a third of what Toronto spends. Our defense is not in a good state right now and signing just one good European on a fair DP contract would be massive. Look what ex-Belgian league player Ciman has done for Montreal. The fact we won the East is what's letting them get away with their complete inactivity in the transfer market this year imo.

I can't find any up to date team spending data which takes into account the players we've let go, but in 2016 our wage bill was $5,536,504 and Toronto was over 20 million for reference.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

If you know the slightest bit about new york and the MLS you would've known ages ago it's not financially viable for an MLS team to have a full size stadium virtually anywhere in the 5 boroughs outside of Staten Island (a place people want to travel less to than Newark). The team will eventually move somewhere not in NJ but in the NY metro area to retain their "NYC identity". Or they will just keep playing in a baseball stadium until the league collapses.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

So sporting director Ali Curtis is out at redbulls. Apparently there was a power struggle between him and Marsch and Marsch was going to leave if Curtis stayed. I don't know the details or really care that much but I really like Marsch as a coach and Curtis came off as a dick a lot so hopefully this turns into a positive. We beat Poo York lovely FC 2-0 which is nice but I'd really like it if we made some sort of signing. Give me a Serie A wasteman please.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Dang 9 straight years of toilet paper

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

https://twitter.com/dcsportsbog/status/836300840205975552

Oh no they showed us!

• Locked thread