Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Okay! I'll be serious and start a new thread while I'm thinking about it!

Journalism's been on a slide for a while; the likes of Gawker and BuzzFeed have done a very good job of slicing off the publishing arms of venerable newspapers and outlets while folks like Gannets continue to buy out holdings, not to mention smaller holding groups like Community Newspaper Holdings or Shaw Media creating holdings over every small paper possible. There's the disaster that was patch.com, along with sites like Everyblock, which doesn't involve journalists at all, but is used by them for local news!

Journalism in America is in hell, given allegations of fake news, stilted news, ignored news, and otherwise crappy news every single day. It's in a bad place and has been for a while.

that's my intro, take it from here

Victory Position has issued a correction as of 06:19 on Dec 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cams
Mar 28, 2003

i have had a hard time coming up with actual policy solutions to this that aren't enacting standards and censoring what we allow on the internet

and i think i am ideologically opposed to that? i mean i am pretty sure i cared about that a lot a month ago...

Post Alone
Mar 29, 2010

The manufactured "fake news" narrative is a power grab by HRC and salty liberal losers to attempt to censor the internet, while at the same time bolstering and empowering right-wing distrust of the mainstream media. They should refer to the first amendment.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Murder She Twote posted:

The manufactured "fake news" narrative is a power grab by HRC and salty liberal losers to attempt to censor the internet, while at the same time bolstering and empowering right-wing distrust of the mainstream media. They should refer to the first amendment.
disagree, a majority of americans are literally too stupid to understand what a fact is

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Murder She Twote posted:

Nah

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Murder She Twote posted:

Not quite. But there does seem to be something interesting about the sudden concern of "fake news" and who is most concerned about it. IMO, it's a way for the current media conglomerate's to get some kind of de jure instead of de facto status over more independent observers.

You can see this in action when you look at the white house press corp. While technically everyone is "allowed" to ask the President questions, only a select few will be given the opportunity. Preferential Access = money and media will do anything they can to keep that access, including passing carefully worded "policies" that preserve their status and exclude those that are deemed "fake."

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.
if Hillary had won and republicans were complaining about "fake news" we'd be making fun of them so hard right now

Olga Gurlukovich
Nov 13, 2016

the right was like 'we're gonna have our news be entertainment' and the dems were like 'we're gonna have our entertainment be news' and the right was like 'we can do that too assholes'

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Trumps Baby Hands posted:

if Hillary had won and republicans were complaining about "fake news" we'd be making fun of them so hard right now

hmm maybe everything does have a direct equivalency

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD
crazy idea here but how about we educate our citizens so they can distinguish "fake" news instead of attempting to censor news

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Scionix posted:

crazy idea here but how about we educate our citizens so they can distinguish "fake" news instead of attempting to censor news
the reaganites have spent the last 30 years undermining education, goddamnit, and they're gonna get their money's worth

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.
Fortunately, President Donald J. Trump is abolishing the outdated institution of journalism by giving all Americans access to a mainline injection of pure truth.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Scionix posted:

Who's censoring what?

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
Hillary wants to censor the internet, says latest Breitbart News article

Olga Gurlukovich
Nov 13, 2016

Cut the crap! If you're immortal, why would you take away individual freedoms and censor the Net?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

logikv9 posted:

Hillary wants to censor the internet, says latest Breitbart News article

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Bip Roberts posted:

Who's censoring what?

they censor news in europe, but here not so much thankfully. Tho lol hillery wants to take away our news AND our guns

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
gawker getting hosed hard by silicon vampire was kinda censorship? I dunno. imo they shouldn't have been hosed up like that

rolling stone maga zine is getting hosed too

dunno how to feel about that one tho

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD

Bip Roberts posted:

Who's censoring what?

publications are calling for blacklisting certain sources of news i.e. breitbart/wikileaks/drudge report/ et cetera. no I do not read breitbart.

for example, this piece of garbage: https://www.washingtonpost.com/busi...98fe_story.html

Scionix has issued a correction as of 10:19 on Dec 11, 2016

Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

Houston, we're Havana problem.

Scionix posted:

That is a whole other thread about how we engage in critical pedagogy in a world where education isn't a public good. I would start that thread if I wasn't on the job market and I didn't think it would depress me so much that I just watch Netflix until I get evicted.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

People have been talking about the rights epistemological bubble for ages, Colbert said reality has a well-known liberal bias 10 years ago

Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

But they say it about news that is backed by research so, um, they aren't the same thing maybe I don't know huh.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
"research" and "polling"

Olga Gurlukovich
Nov 13, 2016

hm so step 1 make education a public good

but we're gonna need a lot in between step 0 and step 1. like step 0.420 restore faith in institutions

Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

blamegame posted:

hm so step 1 make education a public good

but we're gonna need a lot in between step 0 and step 1. like step 0.420 restore faith in institutions

yah. it's tough!

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
gently caress institutions other than the military!

Olga Gurlukovich
Nov 13, 2016

its tough to be like 'institutions own' after so many of them fail spectacularly at the same time and they fail partly because they don't seem to be able to understand people's hatred and mistrust of them.

at the same time you kind of need them for civilization so i don't know

Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

yeah, we should probably have public education. and it should probably be good. vote for me.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
communist

back in my day, we were taught one thing - how to pull up your bootstraps

some of us could pull so hard, we could just fly around

it's how neil armstrong landed on the moon

MERIKA

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Frail Grasp on the Big Picture

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

primary propaganda unit: those other guys are liars. don't listen to them. listen to me

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
be the news you want to see in the world

make it happen people

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
Given that the "real" news was actively complicit in selling the public on the war in Iraq, completely overlooked the financial crisis, and largely abandoned serious reporting for access journalism it's not entirely clear why stories about the Pope endorsing Donald Trump are the moment when suddenly Liberals became alarmed. Oh, unless you think it's just partisan whining mixed with a healthy dose of neo-McCarthyism.

So many complaints about how Donald Trump won this election come off as a 2-pack a day smoker suddenly getting very concerned about his new lung cancer diagnosis and asking what can be done about it. The media lost people's trust over several decades, the Democrats failed to actually improve people's lives during their 8 years in the White House, and the Clinton campaign spent its massive campaign war chest very inefficiently (too much TV, not enough voter registration).

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Absolute freedom of the internet has had its time, I expect we'll see tighter control over internet content and filtering out certain types of websites/information in the near future

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

the filters have been running hot for years now

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Murder She Twote posted:

Fake news is basically being created by teenagers in foreign countries to spam through Facebook so they can get the revenue from clickthroughs from Google. Getting 60 grand a year for posting poo poo to Facebook goes a long way in Macedonia.

quote:

The most successful post BuzzFeed News found from a Macedonian site is based on a story from a fake news website. The headline on the story from ConservativeState.com was “Hillary Clinton In 2013: ‘I Would Like To See People Like Donald Trump Run For Office; They’re Honest And Can’t Be Bought.’” The post is a week old and has racked up an astounding 480,000 shares, reactions, and comments on Facebook. (To put that into perspective, the New York Times’ exclusive story that revealed Donald Trump declared a $916 million loss on his 1995 income tax returns generated a little more than 175,000 Facebook interactions in a month.)

Remember, part of the reason why fake news on Facebook got way the gently caress more prevalent is because Zuckerberg fired the entire team responsible for curating the sidebar trending news.

Party Plane Jones has issued a correction as of 16:35 on Dec 11, 2016

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

All news is fake since all news is inherently yellow journalism.

Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

As soon as torrent sites started falling like dominoes, I figured the internet's days as the wild west were numbered.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Fidel Castronaut posted:

As soon as torrent sites started falling like dominoes, I figured the internet's days as the wild west were numbered.
someone has a monetary incentive to stop me from pirating a movie. less of that incentive to stop me from telling people that hillary clinton writes erotic big bang theory fanfic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

Sure, there's more of a monetary incentive but it still indicates that an internet that used to be just a free-for-all is no longer that. And there are economic pressures for tamping down on some of it. 4chan is unprofitable because no credible company wants to advertise with them. Reddit has very slowly been trying to make itself appear more respectable to investors by banning r/jailbait, then r/fatpeoplehate, and probably r/The_Donald eventually. Those sites are major vectors for the spread of unmitigated bullshit "journalism."

• Locked thread