Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

cams posted:

from start to finish this is nonsense
he's right, you can't blame 'human stupidity' when even dems have been jumping on the school privatization bandwagon that is charter schools

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

cams posted:

this is irrelevant to my point that you, individually, are dumb as poo poo

You have proof your smarter than me other than you buy neoconservative-like fantasy about Russia taking over the US?

cams
Mar 28, 2003

MizPiz posted:

You have proof your smarter than me other than you buy neoconservative-like fantasy about Russia taking over the US?
this is you trying to push a narrative for what you believe vs what people you don't like believe. you are incapable of discussing things in a productive manner, you just have a narrative you want to push. you are dumb.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

"you're disagreeing with me so you must believe *weird idea that i think is dumb* heh what an idiot"

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

cams posted:

this is you trying to push a narrative for what you believe vs what people you don't like believe. you are incapable of discussing things in a productive manner, you just have a narrative you want to push. you are dumb.

Here's productive, the fake news that you believe is the reason Hillary lost is a response to decades of media personalities and politicians blatantly lying and spreading misinformation without consequences. The Clintons themselves have been victims of this, but what are essentially glorified gossip stories don't matter compared to the stories that repeatedly send us to war and support groups that end up going against us or repressing their own people. Given that the Clintons have been responsible for the latter multiple, I can't muster the effort needed to care about the former.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

MizPiz posted:

Here's productive, the fake news that you believe is the reason Hillary lost
this is you doing the exact same thing you just did where you make an assumption about what i believe to push your narrative. you are really, really dumb

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

cams posted:

this is you doing the exact same thing you just did where you make an assumption about what i believe to push your narrative. you are really, really dumb

Oh right, the KGB also infiltrated the elctoral college.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

MizPiz posted:

Oh right, the KGB also infiltrated the elctoral college.

cams posted:

cams
Mar 28, 2003

you do not know my position nor do you even understand the topic at hand, yet you are inventing an opponent to win an argument against on an internet forum.

you are extremely dumb.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

cams posted:

you do not know my position nor do you even understand the topic at hand, yet you are inventing an opponent to win an argument against on an internet forum.

you are extremely dumb.

You clearly don't have any positions worth listening to.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

MizPiz posted:

You clearly don't have any positions worth listening to.
i feel like my position that you're dumb as gently caress holds a lot of merit

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Maybe the answer lies somewhere in the middle?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

cams posted:

complaining about bad journalism obfuscates the fact that in the 2016 election, tons of literally false stories from completely garbage sources were spread by primarily trump voters and they believed them to be facts.

This is the core of why there is fake news hype right now. I have conservative ex-friends who want the fake news discussion to orbit a "mainstream media is all lies" focus. Sorry, no, this is about literally fake news, your desire to hack and slash at traditional outlets when you've been stumbling across and believing whole-cloth fabrications off Facebook and Reddit for the last six months would be hilarious if it was not also what half of America is doing right now to defend their purchase.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

needs a ring.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Potato Salad posted:

This is the core of why there is fake news hype right now. I have conservative ex-friends who want the fake news discussion to orbit a "mainstream media is all lies" focus. Sorry, no, this is about literally fake news, your desire to hack and slash at traditional outlets when you've been stumbling across and believing whole-cloth fabrications off Facebook and Reddit for the last six months would be hilarious if it was not also what half of America is doing right now to defend their purchase.

The mainstream media and Clinton surrogates were passing off lie after lie this election. Sorry dude, mainstream is fake, too.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

cams posted:

i like the baloogan gimmick more when it sticks to applying its insane worldview to reality. when it goes full "just saying nonsense to troll" it's boring

i dont have a worldview i try to see things objectively

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

new phone who dis posted:

The mainstream media and Clinton surrogates were passing off lie after lie this election. Sorry dude, mainstream is fake, too.
This is dumb shallow bullshit to avoid solving a real problem.

Harrower
Nov 30, 2002
You guys remember when a couple weeks ago that super Muslim guy ran over a couple people and stabbed a few more after self owning himself by signing up for some lovely course on microaggressions ? I thought it was hilarious how every station on that chart that isn't on the right side and was also rolling hard in the paint on the fake news bandwagon tried to say it was a white guy with a gun before literally any information at all was available other than some poo poo was going down. Lol they think they have more credibility than Alex Jones, the guy who screams about goblins.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Harrower posted:

You guys remember when a couple weeks ago that super Muslim guy ran over a couple people and stabbed a few more after self owning himself by signing up for some lovely course on microaggressions ? I thought it was hilarious how every station on that chart that isn't on the right side and was also rolling hard in the paint on the fake news bandwagon tried to say it was a white guy with a gun before literally any information at all was available other than some poo poo was going down. Lol they think they have more credibility than Alex Jones, the guy who screams about goblins.

Name one that claimed that it was a white guy with a gun.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

new phone who dis posted:

Taking a step back here, the first step in a discussion on fake news is probably to establish where it's coming from, who is producing it and in what formats, and why. Scrolling back through the last three pages of this thread, it doesn't actually look like any of that has been established.

Do I need to go grab a primer literally fake news, not spin or editorialized stuff, but actually fully completely nonexistent stuff? With some exceptions, even the likes of Fox and Breitbart would massively skew and selectively report on events and items that existed. That's not fake news, that's sensationalist / editorial / slanted news that you can find heated debate on in the primary sources amalgamated in scholarly works on journalism in the 1800s (part 4 in a series on journalism up to, through, and after the American Civil War).

Fake news is fake news made by amateurs on Facebook or Twitter whose misinterpretation of a live event they document goes viral in a deadly game of telephone. The protest bussing story is actual fake news that exploded through conservative Facebook like gasoline vapor.

Fake news is fake news created by once-activist writers who started out seeking to catch conservative and liberal echo chambers in the act of spreading their falsehoods masquerading as legitimate articles by legitimate news sites and found they could make six-figure income by specializing in fake news for the right: http://wcqs.org/post/npr-finds-head-covert-fake-news-operation-suburbs

But no, to the half of the country that has spent up to a year conditioning their minds to the point where they can straight-up tell you in the face that a bunch of Goldman Sachs and oil executives in the richest cabinet ever assembled led by a yellow journalism genius and someone who mere months ago was an irredeemable cuck is actually good for the little guy wants the current fake news hype to really be about how it's traditional outlets, not them, who peddle in fake news.

Yeah, that's a big "FAKE NEWS!" label on a TV tuned to CNN right next to a sincere reference to pizzagate pedophilia. Ben Garrison actually drew those next to each other, and Trump supporters are eating it up on Facebook, /pol/ and the_Donald. Verify this for yourself. That is "Thank you for my higher chocolate ration" levels of cognitive dissonance.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Potato Salad posted:

Do I need to go grab a primer literally fake news, not spin or editorialized stuff, but actually fully completely nonexistent stuff? With some exceptions, even the likes of Fox and Breitbart would massively skew and selectively report on events and items that existed. That's not fake news, that's sensationalist / editorial / slanted news that you can find heated debate on in the primary sources amalgamated in scholarly works on journalism in the 1800s (part 4 in a series on journalism up to, through, and after the American Civil War).

Fake news is fake news made by amateurs on Facebook or Twitter whose misinterpretation of a live event they document goes viral in a deadly game of telephone. The protest bussing story is actual fake news that exploded through conservative Facebook like gasoline vapor.

Fake news is fake news created by once-activist writers who started out seeking to catch conservative and liberal echo chambers in the act of spreading their falsehoods masquerading as legitimate articles by legitimate news sites and found they could make six-figure income by specializing in fake news for the right: http://wcqs.org/post/npr-finds-head-covert-fake-news-operation-suburbs

Now this is a good post.

It should be clarified that yellow journalism, while a pain in the rear end, has been around as long as bias itself, but is in no way the literal "out of the ether" kind of news articles generated for profit and outrage. Is is the platform that lends credence and power to the spread of this kind of crap? I'm not too knowledgeable about Facebook's ability to disseminate content over large demographics, but it's none too hard to curate a bundle of tweets into a Storify or crap out a ramshackle paper.li like most of the Occupy groups have chosen to do.

There's a thing or two I want to get into concerning Atlantic/Slate-style "thinkpieces" that do little more than parrot each other on their respective sites, but that's for another post.

Victory Position has issued a correction as of 16:06 on Dec 14, 2016

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

You referring to The Coddling of the American Mind, a thinkpiece that coddles the conservative mind?

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Weeping Wound posted:

Now this is a good post.

It should be clarified that yellow journalism, while a pain in the rear end, has been around as long as bias itself, but is in no way the literal "out of the ether" kind of news articles generated for profit and outrage. Is is the platform that lends credence and power to the spread of this kind of crap? I'm not too knowledgeable about Facebook's ability to disseminate content over large demographics, but it's none too hard to curate a bundle of tweets into a Storify or crap out a ramshackle paper.li like most of the Occupy groups have chosen to do.

There's a thing or two I want to get into concerning Atlantic/Slate-style "thinkpieces" that do little more than parrot each other on their respective sites, but that's for another post.

That's literally what yellow journalism is, it's just been refined over the past hundred years to be less blatant than the stuff made up by some suburban rear end in a top hat. The only reason the fake news people are whining about now has taken hold is that trust in traditional sources have been justifiably eroded due to the fact they avoid doing actual journalism and give unapologetically biased or even outright false reports. I'll give that ring-wing media like Fox is largely to blame for this destruction of journalistic credibility, but the liberal media willingly went along with it. The only way we can stop the fake news your concerned about is if the mainstream media undergoes significant, widespread reforms.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
The "fake news" stories like "The Pope endorses Donald Trump" which is currently causing all these hysterical meltdowns is mostly profitable because of social media but fake news is just the latest iteration in a very very long tradition. Most people do not remember it now but in the 1970s and 1980s one of the largest drivers of movement conservatism was the rise of direct order mail and there were all kinds of businesses making huge sums of money sending out mostly forgotten news letters, pamphlets and other literature about the imminent communist takeover, the New World Order coming for your guns, the homosexual/feminist plot to destroy Christianity, etc.

If its more prominent now then that's because political extremism of all forms becomes is intensified by deteriorating economic and social conditions. Fake news has always existed and the better question would be why so many Americans are apparently susceptible to it right now.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

FactsAreUseless posted:

This is dumb shallow bullshit to avoid solving a real problem.

The real problem is that the mainstream media is so corrupt and beholden to interests other than the truth that it allows fake news to prosper. There's a reason this is happening and people think journalists are scum. The big names circling the wagons is just preparation for things like censoring wikileaks.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
This is the mainstream media literally producing fake news.

https://theintercept.com/2016/12/09/a-clinton-fan-manufactured-fake-news-that-msnbc-personalities-spread-to-discredit-wikileaks-docs/

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Maybe it would be productive if we had some fake news "in the wild" that we could use for discussion, rather than relitigating whether or not we like Julian Assange for the ten thousandth time.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST

Discendo Vox posted:

needs a ring.

Needs some good old fashioned gooniness:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

Lol@huffpo being more reliable than CNN

Lol@CNN being perfectly in the center.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Tunicate posted:

Lol@huffpo being more reliable than CNN

Lol@CNN being perfectly in the center.

CNN is pretty drat centered at least on the "maybe both sides are equally right" scale of American politics.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Bip Roberts posted:

CNN is pretty drat centered at least on the "maybe both sides are equally right" scale of American politics.

CNN employees were deep enough in bed with Hillary's campaign to slip her debate questions, and they literally interviewed their own cameraman when covering the anti-Trump protests.

Both of those are more 'garbage news' aligned than 'left aligned', but definitely slanted.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Tunicate posted:

CNN employees were deep enough in bed with Hillary's campaign to slip her debate questions, and they literally interviewed their own cameraman when covering the anti-Trump protests.

Both of those are more 'garbage news' aligned than 'left aligned', but definitely slanted.

On the other hand, they hired Ledanowski while he was still on the campaign's payroll, specifically so they could have a Trump mouthpiece.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Tunicate posted:

The debate question was an audience member telling a paid Clinton surrogate that they were going to ask a question and them passing it onto the clinton campaign, wasn't it?

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Main Paineframe posted:

On the other hand, they hired Ledanowski while he was still on the campaign's payroll, specifically so they could have a Trump mouthpiece.

CNN: The Worst of Both Worlds

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Main Paineframe posted:

Also while he was under a nondisparagement agreement lmao

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

MizPiz posted:

CNN: The Worst of Both Worlds

Most of the complaints about liberal bias in the media boil down to lazy corporatist media

Laphroaig
Feb 6, 2004

Drinking Smoke
Dinosaur Gum

Tunicate posted:

the camera guy worked with Lemon covering events in Africa - he wasn't 'a rando from the streets' but he also wasn't currently employed by CNN.

again, its more laziness than anything else. Like that caution tape thing, they just want to be incredibly lazy.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

The debate question was an audience member telling a paid Clinton surrogate that they were going to ask a question and them passing it onto the clinton campaign, wasn't it?

It was a CNN employee who was on a leave of absence from CNN because she was working for Hillary's campaign

how she got the question is still unknown. CNN insists they had nothing to do with it and that she must have gotten the question directly from the folks running the debate. some reporters said they saw her talking with people in the crowds and suggested that maybe she got it directly from the audience member who submitted it; that one is probably horseshit. afaik no one's ever managed to scrape together evidence or confirmation for any of those theories, and everyone implicated has denied any involvement or wrongdoing, including Brazile herself. she didn't even give a decent excuse, i think she was hoping the "maybe the Russians put some fake emails in with the real ones" talking point would catch on so she wouldn't have to

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Tunicate posted:

CNN was covering trump basically 24/7 during the primary season, and hired Corey lewandowski before the ink dried on his non disparagement agreement with the Trump campaign. They deserve their spot as garbage clickbait smack in the middle of the spectrum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.

Helsing posted:

The "fake news" stories like "The Pope endorses Donald Trump" which is currently causing all these hysterical meltdowns is mostly profitable because of social media but fake news is just the latest iteration in a very very long tradition. Most people do not remember it now but in the 1970s and 1980s one of the largest drivers of movement conservatism was the rise of direct order mail and there were all kinds of businesses making huge sums of money sending out mostly forgotten news letters, pamphlets and other literature about the imminent communist takeover, the New World Order coming for your guns, the homosexual/feminist plot to destroy Christianity, etc.

If its more prominent now then that's because political extremism of all forms becomes is intensified by deteriorating economic and social conditions. Fake news has always existed and the better question would be why so many Americans are apparently susceptible to it right now.

Clearly information of all kinds is more readily available today than at any times in the past and it's specifically designed to tickle the animal instincts in our brain like candy.

You're asking people to examine what's changed yet you implied the answer was that liberals were "smarter" 60 years ago. Which just invites the same question.

• Locked thread