Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
slouch
Mar 10, 2009

Potato Salad posted:

Then re-hire the human team :colbert: Or have FB buy / contract Snopes.

(I'm aware that's probably not going to happen)

Facebook recently announced that they are going to be working with Snopes and a couple other news / fact checking organizations to identify links to false stories / made up sensationalized headlines, tag them as such, and have them "demoted" somehow in facebook's secret news feed algorithm. Brietbart is already (and has already been) trying to spin Snopes, Politifact, and other fact-checking attempts as having liberal agendas and being untrustworthy. Here's an article with 9 reasons why Politifact can not be trusted, but the arguement made ends up being fairly weak imo.

I blame Facebook for caving to pressure from conservatives to get rid of the human curation of the trending feed. I have fond memories of being stuck in a psychiatric inpatient hospital for a week and having my girlfriend read me what was "trending" on facebook over the phone for fun. Talking about the current events and laughing about the way the headlines would be written was a go to conversation topic for me and my friends. The day after they removed the human curation team, I remember one of the trending topics was just an advertisement for an LED lightbulb. It was trending because bot accounts were posting links to it or something. A sad day for me.

slouch has issued a correction as of 06:51 on Dec 17, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread