Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.

Helsing posted:

The "fake news" stories like "The Pope endorses Donald Trump" which is currently causing all these hysterical meltdowns is mostly profitable because of social media but fake news is just the latest iteration in a very very long tradition. Most people do not remember it now but in the 1970s and 1980s one of the largest drivers of movement conservatism was the rise of direct order mail and there were all kinds of businesses making huge sums of money sending out mostly forgotten news letters, pamphlets and other literature about the imminent communist takeover, the New World Order coming for your guns, the homosexual/feminist plot to destroy Christianity, etc.

If its more prominent now then that's because political extremism of all forms becomes is intensified by deteriorating economic and social conditions. Fake news has always existed and the better question would be why so many Americans are apparently susceptible to it right now.

Clearly information of all kinds is more readily available today than at any times in the past and it's specifically designed to tickle the animal instincts in our brain like candy.

You're asking people to examine what's changed yet you implied the answer was that liberals were "smarter" 60 years ago. Which just invites the same question.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.

new phone who dis posted:

Trusting a bunch of ideological hacks to be the kingmakers of media will fail just as hilariously as an algorithm. Both forms of curation sucked and returning to the old way isn't the answer. Also, LOL that some of you actually think Snopes is still a good source for political debunking.

There is no truth. Deep.

• Locked thread