Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Fidel Castronaut posted:

Sure, there's more of a monetary incentive but it still indicates that an internet that used to be just a free-for-all is no longer that. And there are economic pressures for tamping down on some of it. 4chan is unprofitable because no credible company wants to advertise with them. Reddit has very slowly been trying to make itself appear more respectable to investors by banning r/jailbait, then r/fatpeoplehate, and probably r/The_Donald eventually. Those sites are major vectors for the spread of unmitigated bullshit "journalism."

I think you'll find that the market incredibly fickle when it comes to the concept of "morals." Fake news has already proven to be far more profitable than actual journalism and the only reason a company would decide not to publish a story is if it was off brand for the publication. Those sites are more likely going to be the basis for further market research to try to reach more alt-right individuals. Corporations don't seek to solve these sort of issues, they only monetize them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

ElPez posted:

As a kid, I had these pegged as science fiction magazines for the longest time. Apparently it peaked at a circulation of more than a million. I really didn't get America :psyduck:

No one actually believed those were real. Even the most far-gone conspiracy theorist knew they were all fake.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

cams posted:

complaining about bad journalism obfuscates the fact that in the 2016 election, tons of literally false stories from completely garbage sources were spread by primarily trump voters and they believed them to be facts.

Complaining about Trump supporters spreading fake news obfuscates the fact the news media has been doninated by fake news for the past 30-ish years. Just because it messed up the election results for you doesn't mean that's the most damaging example of it.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

cams posted:

"people made tons of money creating blatantly fake news that they could spread for advertising dollars and it was read and believed by an absurd amount of people

BUT, while we're on the subject, i think you should consider my stupid agenda that is tangentially related"

Concern over the news media willfully going along artificial stories like "weapons of mass destruction" is a stupid, tangentially related agenda. Got it.

Edit:

cams posted:

the american left is such poo poo

Please give up on us. We're loving begging you.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

cams posted:

yes because it is entirely different and distinguishable from the specific phenomena that occurred during the 2016 election. you want to use this to push your narrative which is unrelated, which is what tons of democrats are currently doing with regards to the russia issue. piles of poo poo that can't comprehend issues at hand because they are too busy trying to win arguments against no one.

I think your first mistake is assuming we're on the same side.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

cams posted:

this is irrelevant to my point that you, individually, are dumb as poo poo

You have proof your smarter than me other than you buy neoconservative-like fantasy about Russia taking over the US?

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

cams posted:

this is you trying to push a narrative for what you believe vs what people you don't like believe. you are incapable of discussing things in a productive manner, you just have a narrative you want to push. you are dumb.

Here's productive, the fake news that you believe is the reason Hillary lost is a response to decades of media personalities and politicians blatantly lying and spreading misinformation without consequences. The Clintons themselves have been victims of this, but what are essentially glorified gossip stories don't matter compared to the stories that repeatedly send us to war and support groups that end up going against us or repressing their own people. Given that the Clintons have been responsible for the latter multiple, I can't muster the effort needed to care about the former.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

cams posted:

this is you doing the exact same thing you just did where you make an assumption about what i believe to push your narrative. you are really, really dumb

Oh right, the KGB also infiltrated the elctoral college.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

cams posted:

you do not know my position nor do you even understand the topic at hand, yet you are inventing an opponent to win an argument against on an internet forum.

you are extremely dumb.

You clearly don't have any positions worth listening to.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Weeping Wound posted:

Now this is a good post.

It should be clarified that yellow journalism, while a pain in the rear end, has been around as long as bias itself, but is in no way the literal "out of the ether" kind of news articles generated for profit and outrage. Is is the platform that lends credence and power to the spread of this kind of crap? I'm not too knowledgeable about Facebook's ability to disseminate content over large demographics, but it's none too hard to curate a bundle of tweets into a Storify or crap out a ramshackle paper.li like most of the Occupy groups have chosen to do.

There's a thing or two I want to get into concerning Atlantic/Slate-style "thinkpieces" that do little more than parrot each other on their respective sites, but that's for another post.

That's literally what yellow journalism is, it's just been refined over the past hundred years to be less blatant than the stuff made up by some suburban rear end in a top hat. The only reason the fake news people are whining about now has taken hold is that trust in traditional sources have been justifiably eroded due to the fact they avoid doing actual journalism and give unapologetically biased or even outright false reports. I'll give that ring-wing media like Fox is largely to blame for this destruction of journalistic credibility, but the liberal media willingly went along with it. The only way we can stop the fake news your concerned about is if the mainstream media undergoes significant, widespread reforms.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Main Paineframe posted:

On the other hand, they hired Ledanowski while he was still on the campaign's payroll, specifically so they could have a Trump mouthpiece.

CNN: The Worst of Both Worlds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Kraps posted:

That's funny because a deceitful computer algorithm is what lost Hillary the election. AI confirmed bad.

That's not fair, the loss wasn't completely her own fault.

• Locked thread