Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

:siren::siren:THREAD HAS MOVED, CLICK HERE MY LORD:siren::siren:

In the year 2014, Konami released the latest in their long-running Metal Gear franchise, Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes. For several reasons, this is not the game we are here to talk about.

Instead, we are here for Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, a much better and much more complete game in all respects.

Previous Metal Gear Solid titles had Snake traversing some manner of military complex or warzone another in a somewhat linear fashion. This latest entry takes that structure and throws it into the garbage in favor of an open-world game that's a hell of a thing and a blast to play.

Joining me on this wild ride will be my brother, Peanut Butler, who's never given a poo poo about a Metal Gear in his life. Which is good, because this game is set up for exactly that kind of person. You don't need to know or care about the previous games to enjoy this one, which is good and the correct way to design a game.

Before we get started, we got a couple of Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Rules.

Firstly, NO SPOILERS. This may be a departure from the rest of the series, but this is still a Kojima-brand video game and there's gonna be a lot of twists and turns. Don't talk about poo poo we haven't seen or can't know about yet, including gameplay poo poo. I don't want to see any black bars, either.

Second, yes the vape is a vape. Don't tell me it's not a vape.

Third, NO SPOILERS. I'm saying this again because you chucklefucks have a history of not getting that. So please don't.

Anyway, we good? Here's the videos.

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jan 14, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Cast of Characters
Here we'll be keeping track of who's who in this crazy roller coaster. Watch this spot for changes!

Punished "Venom Gear Ahab" Snake
Has been in a coma for 9 whole years. May or may not be from the future.

???
Came to kill us before being lit on fire by Ishmael. Probably still alive, I bet.

Ishmael
Helped us break out of a burning hospital. Maybe not a good driver. Whereabouts unknown.

???
Telekinetic girl, probably? An ally or partner of the Man on Fire, seemingly.

Man on Fire
Has two defining characteristics: "pissed" and "is fire". Not a friend.

Ocelot
Horse owner. Seems like a solid dude.

D-Horse
Snake's trusty steed. Surprisingly good for his rank.

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Dec 24, 2016

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Oh man, I am completely on board. I hope you show off things and stuff.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
I know very little about this game, but it already seems like it's gonna be a crazy ride.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Yapping Eevee posted:

I know very little about this game, but it already seems like it's gonna be a crazy ride.

Hell, same. :v:

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Added some stuff to the second post! Next time I'll have the foresight to post that sort of thing with the video.

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Dec 11, 2016

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Any game with butts crack in the first gameplay segment is good

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Chard posted:

Any game with butts crack in the first gameplay segment is good

You'd better have a strong booty of evidence to back up your claim.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Yapping Eevee posted:

yeah that's where I'm at
pretty sure while Lizard Wizard was playing MGS games I was well into my thousandth hour of Sim Golf

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Peanut Butler posted:

yeah that's where I'm at
pretty sure while Lizard Wizard was playing MGS games I was well into my thousandth hour of Sim Golf

Oh, Idunno about all that. I could tell you the basics of 1 and 2, which take place in the far-flung future, but mostly I just know 3 and Peace Walker, the two good games featuring pre-coma Metal Gear Ahab.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Ahab had only one leg, not one arm.

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat
um excuse me

the thread tag said FPS

mgsv is clearly a thrid person shooter with only first person elements

i'm dissapoibted lizard wizard

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
This is gonna be a wild ride.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

drkeiscool posted:

um excuse me

the thread tag said FPS

mgsv is clearly a thrid person shooter with only first person elements

i'm dissapoibted lizard wizard

Actually, the FPS stands for first person story which you can clearly see in the video.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Fine posterior story.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Fine posterior story.

Fantastic post, sir.

kyubeybryant
Jan 4, 2013
good cool LP video good keep up the work

Are you going to include to every single audio file to contextualize your player's actions in this virtual clockwork world?

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

kyubeybryant posted:

good cool LP video good keep up the work

Are you going to include to every single audio file to contextualize your player's actions in this virtual clockwork world?

Nah. An LP doesn't need to act as a replacement for the act of playing a game unless the game being LPed is so bad as to be not worth playing.

...also my brother would probably have none of it.

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Dec 13, 2016

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Lizard Wizard posted:

my brother would probably have none of it.

Please don't deprive us of this wonderful line of commentary.

Gideon020
Apr 23, 2011
If that's a girl, then Raggedy Anne was the lucky one at the orphanage.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

New Characters

Ocelot
Horse owner. Seems like a solid dude.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I hope you guys can put a leash on the puns later. Throw us a bone.

Also, this may be getting a little too far into wink-wink-nudge-nudge spoiler territory, but just something to keep an eye on: The kid in the straitjacket. Note that there are times when his sleeves are not on fire.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Oh I'm pretty sure that nothing in this game means anything beyond the surface reading come on

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

C'mon you guys, quit horsing around.

Interestingly, that whale isn't actually Moby Dick. Wrong species. Also, god knows what TMOF was riding, but last time I checked, Pegasus didnae have a horn. But then again, Unicorns don't have wings. I propose that our hero is just bug-gently caress insane.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!

Samovar posted:

C'mon you guys, quit horsing around.

Interestingly, that whale isn't actually Moby Dick. Wrong species. Also, god knows what TMOF was riding, but last time I checked, Pegasus didnae have a horn. But then again, Unicorns don't have wings. I propose that our hero is just bug-gently caress insane.

Clearly he's a brony riding a giant Princess Celestia plushie.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Peanut Butler posted:

Oh I'm pretty sure that nothing in this game means anything beyond the surface reading come on

You're not wrong. It's just that Kojima likes to reveal said surface mere centimeters at a time.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
This is the first Metal Gear game I have ever played. All my Metal Gear knowledge is gleaned from reading the Wikipedia entries on the previous game titles and some of the tvtropes entries on characters of previous games.

I've gotten it to 9X% and still love it. Great sound track, pretty drat good game play, I even really enjoyed the story despite half-spoiling myself on it.

Liz Wiz are you actually going to finish the drat LP for once?

Gridlocked fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Dec 20, 2016

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

I say it about a hojillion times in one (most) of the videos, but yeah this is a much slicker and radder game than I had thought after having only played MGS2 for a day or so like ten years ago

I'll probably play it in four or five years; my PC's eight years old and I got a PS2 and a Wii (but still haven't played all the games on those I'd like to)

Gridlocked posted:

Liz Wiz are you actually going to finish the drat LP for once?

I'm gonna have to take the heat for a couple of them weinering out, but until recently it's been a really difficult year for me wrt work/life balance

Peanut Butler fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Dec 21, 2016

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Peanut Butler posted:

I say it about a hojillion times in one (most) of the videos, but yeah this is a much slicker and radder game than I had thought after having only played MGS2 for a day or so like ten years ago

I'll probably play it in four or five years; my PC's eight years old and I got a PS2 and a Wii (but still haven't played all the games on those I'd like to)

As a person with little to no fondness for MGS2 (and just got reminded you own a PS2), I super recommend MGS3. That game is the reason I started giving a poo poo about this franchise at all.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

'Tis the season, so you guys're getting this video a whole day early. The bad news is that's the only present you're getting this year.

Goggle Fox
Jul 9, 2011

Warning: Big Boss brand Night-time Cough Syrup is highly flammable and may cause explosions if lobbed in a high parabolic arc. Use caution when loading Big Boss brand Night-time Cough Syrup into your delivery tube. Do not use Big Boss brand Night-time Cough Syrup near horses, nope, or heavy machinery.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

WHOOPS I FORGOT SOMETHING

New Characters

D-Horse

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Lizard Wizard posted:

D-Horse

That's not his rank he was named by Herve Villechaize

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Peanut Butler posted:

That's not his rank he was named by Herve Villechaize

Ow.

Also, probably not gonna be a video on the 31st due to holiday vacationtimes, sorry!

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Sorry, everyone. Things have been happening. The holiday dust has just about settled, so expect this week's video in a couple days.

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer

Hopefully your upcoming legal issues won't get in the way of this let's play! MGS V is an amazing game!!

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Liquid Penguins posted:

Hopefully your upcoming legal issues won't get in the way of this let's play! MGS V is an amazing game!!
If there's something you can legally prove about this guy being a pedo or whatever, please let me know. If you're the same person who asked me to look through that person's PMs for "evidence," please, either find it yourself or shut up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Well, this was a good thread while it lasted. Now there's a new one.

• Locked thread