Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
So I bought an XFX RX480. Gamed with it for a month or so. It had a few driver glitches but was more or less fine. Then I upgraded to a KS8000 49" Samsung Quantum dot TV as a main monitor and use the HDMI 2 port. I thought all was well. Then I tried to play Doom.
After about 30 seconds of play the screen just blacks out. Then it re-syncs and comes back and thereafter blinks out every 30ish seconds. This is actually losing sync, sometimes I get the TV saying there is no signal after the black screen, sometimes colored static, followed by re-sync and a picture for 30ish more seconds and then it all repeats.

I decided to try something more generic so I fired up Furmark. Same deal, GPU hit hard, screen blacks out and resycns. I can use the TV all day long and no black outs until I hit the GPU hard. I also tried SVP which useses your GPU to smooth out video frames to near 60fps for a smoother experience. Same deal, screen blackout after GPU hit hard.

Ok so I changed HDMI cables, tried about 6 of them. Last one being rated for 444 RGB, high color, 18Gb/s bandwith, yadada, same deal. Black outs.

So I looked this up online and low and behold there is a thread on Reddit about this exact monitor (and possibly others) that lose HDMI sync with 444 RGB color. Given this, I tried running at 422 and this did not black out.

At this point Im going to return the gently caress RX480 because it does seem to be it that is causing the fault. Other people report nVidias 10x0 series work great with HDMI 2 and Samsungs 4k Quantum dot monitors.

Figured I would post a thread about it because this is going to bite a lot of people in the rear end right now with all the upgrades going on over xmas.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/568tls/screen_occasionally_blinking_black_rx_480/
https://www.reddit.com/r/AMDHelp/comments/4wm8ij/rx480_black_screen_problem/
https://community.amd.com/thread/204571

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I checked the AMD forums, this is happening to a lot of folks right now. It might be something to do with C states. I went and declocked from, stock 1120mhz to 1080mhz and it seemed to cure the black screen instantly.
It doesn't seem to be power supply related.

Interesting.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Welp since no one including XFX horrible support has any idea other than BUY LARGE PSU LOL. So I shitcanned the thing, RMA time.

Got a GeForce GTX 1060 and it works perfectly. No blanking out. No screen screwups. No mode changes. Perfect 444 RGB output to 4k via HDMI 2.0.

• Locked thread