Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Mozi posted:

windows 10 negatives:
- it pulls poo poo on me that i don't want and didn't ask for
- it has notifications that ask me to sign up for office 365 and other random bullshit
- cortana is stupid
- many random annoying things that are not the same annoying things i got used to years ago in windows 7

You forgot "Will push an update when it wants to without permission from you because Microsoft thinks you are literal children."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Blazing Ownager posted:

You forgot "Will push an update when it wants to without permission from you because Microsoft thinks you are literal children."

it was a requirement put on them from their strategic partnerships with the NSA and Chinese government

med school head
Apr 17, 2012
this will stop windows from automatically restarting itself http://www.ghacks.net/2016/09/20/disable-reboot-after-automatic-windows-updates/

edit: switching to macos was the best computer thing ive done though

terminal chillness
Oct 16, 2008

This baby is off the charts
They also redid the god awful file copy and its a lot better. They did it in Windows 8 but Im not using that garbage.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."

NihilismNow posted:

I love windows 10 because of Universal Windows Apps™.
It's just so easy, you just write the apps once and they run on windows 10, windows mobile phones, xbox and hololens. Visual studio™makes creating a beautiful interface just a breeze and Windows live tiles have been proven to increase user engagement by up to 76%. The windows store platform make it easy to monetize your investment. There are plenty of exciting new things to love in Windows 10.

You shut the gently caress up.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

poverty goat posted:

if you cant handle windows 10 maybe just roll w/ an iphone with a keyboard and a helmet so you dont hurt yourself

If you can't handle Windows 10 at its best, you don't deserve Windows 8 at its worst.™

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Chinatown posted:

its prefectly fine unless you have a serious mental disability such as aspergers or something similar on the autism spectrum so

you have it backwards, as a huge autist i'm having a great experience with windows 10

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:
i own a computer. i am using a computer right now.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

A misanthrope posted:

i own a computer. i am using a computer right now.

same, same

Gay Weed Dad
Jul 12, 2016

cool dude, flyin' high

poverty goat posted:

ive never met anyone who hated windows 10 who wasnt a dumb as gently caress idiot who didn't know how to use a computer

windows 10 is the best windows to date by any reality based metric

This. I'm convinced a lot of the Windows new version hate is bandwagon'd because people think it makes them sound like they have cool tech insights. When I was still a bench tech I would get 60 year old guys bragging about how they had downgraded their OEM Windows 7 license to a pirated copy of XP because it was "way better" or "got rid of all the junk" without any knowledge of what they had done/what this meant. I can't wait until 12 comes out and everyone is in a big push to buy old Windows 10 machines because "evil MS is forcing their hand again".

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Blazing Ownager posted:

Microsoft was right.

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same
i like that there are ads for windows store apps embedded in your login screen and start menu by default

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Windows 7 loving sucks, have fun with the automatic updates eating over a gig of RAM and taking 20 hours to download a list of updates that will crash your computer.

Yug
Aug 6, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Microsoft must have sent out an alert to their shills because now the thread is flooded with them.

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

how the hell do you make it so windows update repeatedly breaks updates on a BRAND NEW INSTALL? there's nothing that could possibly conflict with anything because there's nothing installed yet. i just can't even

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:

Yug posted:

shills

go back to /pol/

burning swine
May 26, 2004

LethalGeek posted:

Just always want to remind people that they back ported the telemetry poo poo to 7 and 8 so less you block it at the router you're MS's bitch.

reminder that it is trivially easy to just not install the telemetry updates because win7 doesn't force unwanted updates on you

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
I'm really hoping that by the time Windows 7 is no longer receiving security patches those Roku/whatever smart TV boxes get good enough that I don't feel the need to have a real PC connected to my TV. My gaming PC still has Windows 7 on it but this spring I decided that video games are stupid and I think I've turned that on for about 8 hours total since April and that was because I was sick and kinda wanted to play GTA. Combine that with hopefully leaving my IT job for something that doesn't involve sitting in an office in the next year or three and hopefully I'll never have to deal with Windows 10.

I do have 10 on my two computers I have for hosting game servers but I think those are on a shelf in my basement collecting dust and mouse poo poo. Hell, it's possible that trying to use Windows 10 computers as dedicated servers is what finally made me detest computers.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Bip Roberts posted:

Morrowind or skyrim IMO.

Windows 10 makes it so Skyrim has a hard limit to how much ram it can use because MS decided to do it for directx 9 games. Microsoft wrong rammed AGAIN.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
reformat is a word that only exists among retards. just say format

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
If your house has a sewer backup so bad the insurance company insists you bulldoze your house and start over you're tearing it down and rebuilding it. You're not just building it. Same thing with formatting and reformatting.

In this case, installing Windows 10 is the computer equivalent of the mother of all sewer backups.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

med school head posted:

this will stop windows from automatically restarting itself http://www.ghacks.net/2016/09/20/disable-reboot-after-automatic-windows-updates/

this is the perfect encapsulation of the windows 10 experience

here's a minor annoyance that you could fix in windows 7 by unchecking a box or clicking a button

now you get to go through a multi-step process which involves downloading a third party program all of which will probably get hosed in a future update

Gay Weed Dad posted:

This. I'm convinced a lot of the Windows new version hate is bandwagon'd because people think it makes them sound like they have cool tech insights. When I was still a bench tech I would get 60 year old guys bragging about how they had downgraded their OEM Windows 7 license to a pirated copy of XP because it was "way better" or "got rid of all the junk" without any knowledge of what they had done/what this meant. I can't wait until 12 comes out and everyone is in a big push to buy old Windows 10 machines because "evil MS is forcing their hand again".

i dunno when 7 came out pretty much everyone agreed it fixed most of the problems vista had and the few issues left had fairly simple workarounds

there were probably a few idiots who wouldn't give up xp but it was fairly universally agreed 7 was decent as far as windows goes

The Muppets On PCP fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Dec 12, 2016

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I liked Vista, it was like Windows 7 but faster.

zaepg
Dec 25, 2008

by sebmojo

Mozi posted:

windows 10 positives:
- it's probably more secure? maybe?

windows 10 negatives:
- it pulls poo poo on me that i don't want and didn't ask for
- it has notifications that ask me to sign up for office 365 and other random bullshit
- cortana is stupid
- many random annoying things that are not the same annoying things i got used to years ago in windows 7

That's my biggest gripe.It's basically the rebirth of the Microsoft paper clip reborn into an operating system (bugging you every few hours about something).

supernatural blonde
Mar 15, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

gary oldmans diary posted:

THANK YOU. This really annoys me.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

med school head posted:

Not to kinkshame, but that brings to mind that you can't spell "masochist" without "MacOS."

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

My out of the box surface with 10 doesn't randomly reboot and has only once nagged me hey use edge it saves battery. The gently caress are the rest of you doing to get so much crap thrown at you?

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION
Win 10 is fine I use it on my home PC, laptop and work PC and all of our development VMs run it and I'm a software developer so if anyone is going to encounter a problem, or something it can't do or whatever it's probably me.

Maybe you guys need to learn how to use computers.

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.

gary oldmans diary posted:

Format is an olde term meaning to configure a volume for a specific filesystem. I actually delete all the partitions and let windows figure it out, I never specifically format a system disk

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Yug posted:

Microsoft must have sent out an alert to their shills because now the thread is flooded with them.

I'm not sure which concept is funnier so I haven't quite decided: they're shills or huge nerds who get super offended and defensive when they find out you don't like the same operating system as them.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

The Muppets On PCP posted:

microsoft developers are contractually obligated to use the word bing as a verb in place of google

bing up your rear end

Griz
May 21, 2001

The Muppets On PCP posted:

this is the perfect encapsulation of the windows 10 experience

here's a minor annoyance that you could fix in windows 7 by unchecking a box or clicking a button

now you get to go through a multi-step process which involves downloading a third party program all of which will probably get hosed in a future update
7 was fine other than whatever patch broke Windows Update so it would take hours to fetch the list of available updates or just get stuck forever

I updated to 10 on the last day it was free because there's eventually going to be some game I want that requires DX12 and I only paid $30 for Win7 pro because I had a college email, and gently caress paying for OS upgrades

if I didn't have pro I would have immediately uninstalled because it's really lovely to have your OS randomly max out your bandwidth for some huge patch while you're trying to play a game or watch netflix. the focus-stealing popup notifications with pro and the appropriate group policy edits are still loving annoying but at least that only takes a few seconds to click the thing and alt-tab back to what you were doing instead of god knows how long to download the thing.

I also would have immediately uninstalled if win10 had the fullscreen windows key bullshit from Server 2012 instead of a normal start menu. I have to deal with that at work sometimes, it's poo poo and literally everyone I've ever talked to about it also thinks it's poo poo.

Griz fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Dec 13, 2016

The Biscuit
Jul 2, 2007
Half of everything is luck.

Gobblecoque posted:

I'm not sure which concept is funnier so I haven't quite decided: they're shills or huge nerds who get super offended and defensive when they find out you don't like the same operating system as them.
This thread is a false flag to get white knights to ride in and defend win10.
I don't see why one needs to brag about yospos

Rambling Robot
Sep 13, 2011
Duggar Fan Club Superstar #1 LOL
i dont like win 10, win 7 was much better but i had to go for win 10 on my new computer and it makes me sad. gently caress u microsoft.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Nothin wrong with 10 imo. DX 12 support? But I also like windows phone interface so take it with a grain of salt

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Windows 10 now includes a ubuntu terminal so I no longer have to dual-boot my work laptop, so it's alright by me.

supernatural blonde
Mar 15, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Ubuntu is turning into a bloated piece of work, too.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

supernatural blonde posted:

Ubuntu is turning into a bloated piece of work, too.

Don't care as long as it meets the following requirements: a) I can ssh into things and run an xterminal and b) I know how to use it.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.
I still like using windows 7 better than windows 10, but thank god we're all not still using windows 8.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
I know not with what OS World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with Windows 8.

• Locked thread