Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I just reformatted Windows 7 and put Elder Scrolls: Oblivion back in AMA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Chomp8645 posted:

Have you seen any mudcrabs lately?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

a bone to pick posted:

Have you seen any mudcrabs lately?

I saw one the other day. Horrible creatures!

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I've heard Gaius Lavinius is having problems with thieves down at the docks.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

Knight posted:

Yes, actually. Across a few generations of Fujitsu lifebooks but the most recent is the Intel Wireless-N 7265.

I have a couple t801s still out in circulation. If I install 10 on them none of third party drivers can be installed and when it updates it forces an unbeatable scenario requiring an OS roll back. This is even if I manually remove updates.

As someone who uses slot of second hand hardware windows 10 is a clusterfuck if your system is more than a couple years old.

8.1 for lyfe

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
I don't really like how Intel is in bed with MS now. You can't use their newer chips if you aren't on 10.

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Chomp8645 posted:

do you wanna play some battlefield 1

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

paul_soccer10 posted:

do you wanna play some battlefield 1

I like Battlefield 1 but I have it on my Xbox One, another fine Microsoft product!

lol I'm playing the 5th Battlefield on the 3rd Xbox and they are both called "one". I can't wait for the fourth Star Wars: Battlefront, called Star Wars: Battlefront 2.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

EvilJoven posted:

If your house has a sewer backup so bad the insurance company insists you bulldoze your house and start over you're tearing it down and rebuilding it. You're not just building it. Same thing with formatting and reformatting.

In this case, installing Windows 10 is the computer equivalent of the mother of all sewer backups.
its pointless to say re-format. adds nothing to whatever youre trying to say. secondly, it came formatted from the manufacturer. if format and reformat was a meaningful distinction (which it isnt) then you would have never actually formatted in the first place. now the distinction between format and reformat is redundant and meaningless. third, every format utility says format. all well-written documentation says format. 4th you already knew you werent very knowledgeable about this sort of thing

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

gary oldmans diary posted:

its pointless to say re-format. adds nothing to whatever youre trying to say. secondly, it came formatted from the manufacturer. if format and reformat was a meaningful distinction (which it isnt) then you would have never actually formatted in the first place. now the distinction between format and reformat is redundant and meaningless. third, every format utility says format. all well-written documentation says format. 4th you already knew you werent very knowledgeable about this sort of thing

:iceburn:

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

gary oldmans diary posted:

but what if i'm formatting something that's already formatted into a different format causing the removal of the old format

Onkel Hedwig
Jun 27, 2007

Once support for Windows 7 ends for good I am gonna upgrade to Windows 8. Suck it, Microsoft :cool:

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

I also have to wonder what's wrong with people when they give 2 shits what the start menu looks like. If you're not opening it up and immediately typing in what you need then GTFO.

The search function not working on the other hand that is some legit stupid poo poo on MS's part. Come on guys.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

Johnny Aztec posted:

I don't really like how Intel is in bed with MS now. You can't use their newer chips if you aren't on 10.

You can it is just not "supported". AMD does the same thing for what it's worth.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Yug posted:

It's not a cult, it's paid advertisers. They post the same kind of drivel on other big social media sites, especially reddit. We probably get their B team here on SA.

Lmfao dude

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

LethalGeek posted:

I also have to wonder what's wrong with people when they give 2 shits what the start menu looks like. If you're not opening it up and immediately typing in what you need then GTFO.

The search function not working on the other hand that is some legit stupid poo poo on MS's part. Come on guys.
if you're typing things while using windows you're doing it wrong

Gay Weed Dad
Jul 12, 2016

cool dude, flyin' high

The Muppets On PCP posted:

i dunno when 7 came out pretty much everyone agreed it fixed most of the problems vista had and the few issues left had fairly simple workarounds

there were probably a few idiots who wouldn't give up xp but it was fairly universally agreed 7 was decent as far as windows goes

While I completely agree it does not change the fact that I was barraged with users claiming that they knew best; I think its a cultural change as much of a technical.

Anecdotally I actually experienced more headaches as a bench tech with the Windows 7 launch then I ever did with Vista, drivers for many common, name-brand, add-ons (printers, scanners, etc) were late to the table for Windows 7 drivers or would only have a 32bit version available. Time passed and now everyone regards 7 as the best MS OS of all time, it's all perception.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Smythe posted:

Lmfao dude

how much is Microsoft paying you???

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot

poverty goat posted:

ive never met anyone who hated windows 10 who wasnt a dumb as gently caress idiot who didn't know how to use a computer

windows 10 is the best windows to date by any reality based metric

Sure do love all of my software/video gaymes from before 2010 not working as they should friendo

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
It's gonna be loving hilarious when a ton of people have their windows 7 computers start dying and instead of buying new windows 10 computers just not have traditional PCs anymore because why bother.

Have sales of traditional desktops and laptops even recovered from when windows 8 tanked?

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Smythe posted:

Lmfao dude
the lmfao cartel has had smythe in their pocket for years

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION
people unironically posting itt conspiracy theories about microsoft or should i say micro$oft haha

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
I like macro$haft.

Anyway, when I format something that has already been formatted then I am "formatting again". But that's way more keystrokes than "reformat" and it means basically the same thing so gently caress off with your nerdery. It's not on the same level as ATM Machine.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

EvilJoven posted:

It's gonna be loving hilarious when a ton of people have their windows 7 computers start dying and instead of buying new windows 10 computers just not have traditional PCs anymore because why bother.

Have sales of traditional desktops and laptops even recovered from when windows 8 tanked?

this attrition has already begun. my mother and grand parents have dusty old laptop/desktops from like 2008 that do not even function any more. they never bothered to replace them, instead just using their phone and tablets

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

The Wizard of Poz posted:

people unironically posting itt conspiracy theories about microsoft or should i say micro$oft haha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burning swine
May 26, 2004

Johnny Aztec posted:

installed win7 on a 6th gen i7 just the other day, it's not a problem at all. Only hitch is needing a usb driver fix if you're installing on a system without an optical drive

also lol @ the conspiracy theories ITT

• Locked thread