Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

Hello everyone. This time of year is a magical time of year, where I try (and generally fail) to watch 25 Christmas specials leading into Christmas. Partly inspired by ABC Family’s 25 Days of Christmas and partly inspired by my repeated attempts as an adult to feel some kind of holiday magic even though actually the holidays are quite a lot of work and my family is full of morons. The title of this thread is inspired by a 30 Rock special, Christmas Attack Zone, because that is where I am parachuting in. The Christmas Attack Zone.

How does something qualify as a Christmas special?

- It has Christmas in the name.
- It is about Christmas.

That’s it. However, if it fulfills neither of the above criteria, it can still count as a Christmas special if:

- It was intended to air during the winter holidays.
- Prominent sightings of any of the following occur: reindeer; elves; Santas; winter stuff; decorating trees; a certain kind of sweater; man-shaped cookies; chestnuts, open fires, jingling bells; magic snowmen; north stars
- Important themes: gift-giving; family is more important than material goods; savior birth

It’s kind of a “you’ll know it when you see it” situation. If needed, I will point out how ostensibly something that isn’t a Christmas special is in fact a Christmas special. This will allow for such travesties as the Kung Fu Panda holiday thing, where kung fu pandas have no reason to celebrate the birth of Christ but also, holidays, I guess.

I will evaluate each special on the following criteria:

Definition of the meaning of Christmas: Self-explanatory.
Craftsmanship (i.e. animation budget or quality relative to the rest of the show/whatever): Is it actually good? Or is it just Christmas? This will be a numerical rating.
Religiosity: A numerical value. For every deliberate mention or explanation of God or Christ I will add one point to religiosity. There is no upper limit.
Christmas spirit: This is the wildcard “did it work on me” category. Odds are it will not, but I am a lady goon and maybe my hormones will act up one day and I will just find Christmas in Pac-Land, like, a lot to deal with, OK???

Just for fun, serials will also be evaluated by the frequency of their Christmas specials. For example, Community has one Christmas special per season. This is a 100 percent Christmas occurrence rate.

Finally, each special will be rated one out of five :sassargh:s because I don’t see any Christmas emoticons and don’t like spending more time on the smiley face page than I absolutely have to.

We are less than two weeks away from Xmas. I have already watched ten of these bastards and will put posts up at an appropriate frequency. Please join me on this magical journey. Or don't. Either way, merry Christmas!

IMPORTANT NOTE: Non-Christmas goons should also feel as though they can enter the Attack Zone with holiday specials if they so choose, for the like, ten non-Christmas holiday specials in the universe. The Attack Zone welcomes all comers and I could frankly use the education.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread