Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I saw Hamilton last weekend in Chicago, the seats were partially obscured by a column and a balcony overhead but they were affordable for my friend and I so who gives a poo poo.

Legit think it was the best musical I've ever seen in my life. But I haven't seen a ton of them really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

If I wanted to see a bunch of multi ethnic gay men dressed up as founding fathers I'd just go into my basement.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

hip check please posted:

Jesus,600 bucks!?! They got movies on the tv for free.

That's actually cheap, tickets in ny were going fir twice that for the shittiest seats

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
Spamalot/Book of Mormon or you're wasting your money OP

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
My tickets were only like a hundred thirty each even after the ticketmaster gouging. Maybe go see it in Chicago instead OP.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
I ended up getting into the online ticket lobby at 5 pm and bought a $500 ticket. The Orpheum added an $18 "Hamilton Fee" to the ticket. No explanation, just: "Hamilton Fee." I think they call this a "lol go gently caress yourself what are you gonna do about it" fee.

My son and I are going to be headbanging at the Sabaton show ($35) while the little lady weeps it up at Hamilton.

Everything about this whole situation is wrong.

Luxury Communism
Aug 22, 2015

by Lowtax
Let's trace the genealogy of the Nazi Party's economic policy.

Alexander Hamilton -> Friedrich List -> Nazis

Hope you guys learned a lot from this!

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
$500 for tickets about a transrace historical musical and people still wonder why Trump won

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

WAR DOGS OF SOCHI posted:

I ended up getting into the online ticket lobby at 5 pm and bought a $500 ticket. The Orpheum added an $18 "Hamilton Fee" to the ticket. No explanation, just: "Hamilton Fee." I think they call this a "lol go gently caress yourself what are you gonna do about it" fee.

My son and I are going to be headbanging at the Sabaton show ($35) while the little lady weeps it up at Hamilton.

Everything about this whole situation is wrong.

I just googled Sabaton and it looks like the Hamilton tickets were a better deal.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I've only listened to the soundtrack due to being in NZ but Hamilton is cool & good imo

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

RaceBannon posted:

divorce your wife

Agreed, just sever.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I've been wanting to make a musical called Hamiltown:

It's about people who create a knock-off, off-broadway production of Hamilton, but since they themselves can't even get tickets to the original to base it off of they come up with something they think would look and sound just like it. Ironically, they become bigger than the musical they were ripping off and critics believe their mistakes and failures in the production are actually intentionally witty and subversive commentary.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Hamilton is overrated, 1776 is the better Founding Father musical.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Hamilton is overrated, 1776 is the better Founding Father musical.

No poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9FXdRRNVwY

Compared to this:

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

My wife wants to go to Hamilton and tickets went on sale this morning at 10am for the San Francisco dates. If you were online by 10, you got thrown into random order and you have to wait your turn to buy tix. The fuckers wouldn't let you open multiple tabs to grab multiple spots in line, but I was able to get two spots by using Chrome and IE. Firefox wouldn't even let me to the website because of some cert error, so gently caress Firefox.

I am 64,757th and 86,081st in line. This is total bullshit! If I'm lucky, by midnight tonight I may be able to buy a single seat located in the bathroom.

WTF happened to Ticket D-Day when you clicked your rear end off in 100 tabs and fought your way through the DDOS storm to get the ticket selection window to come up? Now I'm in line with every cat lover who has an etsy page and I'm fighting over tickets to a show that features bad rapping. I really need to reevaluate my life.

UPDATE: there are only 62,543 sock-knitters ahead of me now.

Lol if you don't think ticket lotteries are the best idea ever.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Quick Draw McGraw posted:

https://medium.com/@lowenaffchen/you-should-be-terrified-that-people-who-enjoy-hamilton-run-our-country-a67f4ad11f2b#.8ar2lr5nt

You Should Be Terrified That People Who Enjoy “Hamilton” Run Our Country

Look at this. Look at how stupid this is.

In 2012 Captain Dan and his Scurvy Crew, a four-man nerdcore ensemble trying to cement “pirate rap” as a tenable subgenre, appeared on America’s Got Talent. They were booted off the stage after roughly 30 seconds and derided as “stupid”, “moronic”, “idiotic” and “pathetic” by Howard Stern, a man famous for stunts like ordering his underlings to lick each other’s rectal thermometers. In 2012 everyone, save for Captain Dan and people whose tastes range from “music from video games” to “music about video games”, was in agreement that performing open-ended-high-school-project rap in Colonial Williamsburg garb was unconscionable. Right?

Maybe the America’s Got Talent audience isn’t an accurate sample of the American population as a whole. Maybe they actually thought “when I say yo, you say ho” was clever — but there was a neon sign telling them to boo. Maybe something happened in the past 4 years that made everyone really loving stupid. Whatever the reason, the world we live in now includes Hamilton, a “hip-hop musical” about the first Secretary of the Treasury.

Hamilton exists more as a corporate HR department’s wet dream than as a biographical work. The appeal largely rests with the forced diversity of its cast and the concept of a “hip-hop musical”. The actual substance of Hamilton’s politics is ignored in favor of a story that stresses his origins as a Horatio Alger immigrant and his rivalry with Aaron Burr. 

His introduction stresses two takeaways from the musical: America is a place where the poor, through “sheer force of will”, can rise to prominence, and Hamilton has diversity in it. That means you can feel good about seeing it: no guilt for seeing dead white men in a positive light required. It contains hip-hop, an edgy, up-and-coming genre with only 37 years of mainstream exposure. It only costs $1,200 a ticket if you can stand bad seats.

Kings George I and II of England were barely able to speak English and spent more time dealing with their own failsons than ruling the Empire — but they gave patronage to Handel. Ludwig II of Bavaria was believed to be insane and went into debt to compulsively build castles — but he gave patronage to Wagner. Obama deported more immigrants than any other president and expanded the drone program in order to kill almost 3,500 people — but he gave patronage to a nerdcore musical.

thanks for linking us to to this retarded neolib complaint by noted twitter superstar (retard) lowenaffchen

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
at least you will have something to talk about with random fattys OP

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Hot take: Hamilton is good

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.
I was reading Miranda's wikipedia page and he was part of a 'comedy rap group' in college. Which is something I never want to see

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
While Hamilton is, in fact, good, Lin-Manuel is flying way too high right now for a meltdown not to be imminent. He's going to beat up his wife or lose an eye in a club altercation or get taped calling an uber driver the n-word any day now.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

SO I have this idea for a musical: it's about Hitler and his rise and fall, but get this.... hitler... is a jew. Also all songs are done in kletzmer style

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Son of Rodney posted:

SO I have this idea for a musical: it's about Hitler and his rise and fall, but get this.... hitler... is a jew. Also all songs are done in kletzmer style

lol

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Lmao op just call your black card concierge. It's what they're there for.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

ElectricSheep posted:

Spamalot/Book of Mormon or you're wasting your money OP

Hm yisss, a whole show of people who are not monty python cast telling monty python jokes. sign me up!

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

veni veni veni posted:

If I wanted to see a bunch of multi ethnic gay men dressed up as founding fathers I'd just go into my basement.

If I wanted to go into my basement I'd stay in my bedroom.

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

OfficialGBSCaliph posted:

Hm yisss, a whole show of people who are not monty python cast telling monty python jokes. sign me up!

Freshman Dorm: The Musical

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

DoctorG0nzo posted:

That app that changes every instance of the word "Hamilton" to "the video game DOOM" makes this a way better thread

though it keeps giving me a fleeting moment of hope that people are talking about DOOM and then vague disappointment when it's just another Hamilton thread

alright so get this

a broadway musical version of doom

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
Sorry about your white person problems op. Maybe your wife would appreciate you using the money you would have wasted on tickets on something more fiscally responsible, like rounding out a retirement account or maybe paying down the mortgage/saving for a second down payment for a vacation home. Chicks love that poo poo.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
I go from this thread hating two more songs than I did coming in. Thanks, I guess.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

Oscar Wild posted:

Sorry about your white person problems op. Maybe your wife would appreciate you using the money you would have wasted on tickets on something more fiscally responsible, like rounding out a retirement account or maybe paying down the mortgage/saving for a second down payment for a vacation home. Chicks love that poo poo.

Happy birthday, honey!

*presents 401(k) statement with a flourish*

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

Oscar Wild posted:

are you suggesting he throw away his shot (to see hamilton with his wife)

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Happy birthday, honey!

*presents 401(k) statement with a flourish*

please present your 401(k) in the form of an ostentatiously "woke" rap

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
well i'm paying management fees to nationwide
but compared to major market indices my returns continue to slide

Masturbasturd
Sep 1, 2014
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOn9L0GFxhg

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
I once paid out the rear end for Book of Mormon tickets. I had a good time but wish I paid less for nosebleedier seats

Op I'm sorry you have to go through comic con hoops for this poo poo. I already have comic con for that experience

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Son of Rodney posted:

You are describing Jesus Christ Superstar

wow how do you not know what JCS is

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
Does anyone actually like hamilton that isnt a fat beastly SJW

Randal
Apr 20, 2016

not adding value on SA one post at a time

General Dog posted:

While Hamilton is, in fact, good, Lin-Manuel is flying way too high right now for a meltdown not to be imminent. He's going to beat up his wife or lose an eye in a club altercation or get taped calling an uber driver the n-word any day now.

Guy's been getting hate on Tumblr for supporting Autism Speaks.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

Pastry of the Year posted:

please present your 401(k) in the form of an ostentatiously "woke" rap

I don't know what this means. My 401k is doing just fine.

I'm looking forward to seeing Nile in a few months. I'm not saying they're the Hamilton of metal, but they've been on my bucket list for a while. I think they'll play at anyone's house party for $500.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

I'm looking forward to seeing Nile in a few months. I'm not saying they're the Hamilton of metal, but they've been on my bucket list for a while. I think they'll play at anyone's house party for $500.

nile's alright, mostly to laugh at how fat karl is

otherwise they just kinda stand there and play their instruments

• Locked thread