Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Sergio Leone was a very fat Italian man who directed 7 films (Last Days of Pompeii doesn't count). He is responsible for the career of Clint Eastwood and popularizing the "spaghetti western" genre. Son of a prominant film producer, he gained his fame makine A Fistfull fo Dollars which was a remake of Akira Kurosawa's "Yojimbo". It was such a good remake that Kurosawa sued Leone and wrote him a letter saying, "you have made a very fine film, however it is my film". Due to the legal battles over rights, his Man With No Name trilogy wasn't released in the US till the late 60s and all at once making it a phenomenon of the year. He went on to make several other films, but imo For A Few Dollars More still remains the best of them all. Shout out to Ennio Morricone, I suppose as well :)

Also, other Italians made westerns in Spain at the same time, so feel free to talk about them too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soral
May 30, 2009

i watched the good the bad and the ugly for the first time last year and i thought it was really long and boring but i couldnt keep my eyes off it and before i knew it i had watched the whole thing and really enjoyed it when it was all said and done

Lonos Oboe
Jun 7, 2014
Despite the fact it was sot on a lovely cheap film stock. (Or because of it) This is a series that really benefits from a Blu-Ray remaster. I always thought For a few dollars more was the Temple of Doom of the trilogy. One of the more interesting films that people are not keen on. As for the other Spaghetti westerns, they can really be hit and miss. It's usually a not great movie with some awesome style and great soundtracks. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_mMMI0Kc7I

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Duck, You Sucker!
*throws dynamite at OP*

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Spaghetti westerns are FTW. I will watch any one at any time. It's funny when they have 'Mexicans' with clearly European accents though. It throws me off sometimes

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Man With No Name trilogy is really good, I think Fistful of Dollars is the best one thought just because it's much more compact. 99 minutes, gets the job done, doesn't overstay its welcome, doesn't ever seem to drag for one second which gets to be a problem especially in Good, Bad, Ugly

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
The original Django is pretty baller and was so popular at the time there's like a bazillion spaghetti westerns with Django in the title that have no relation to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8Ge2hmSTbo

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
I haven't seen a lot in the way of Spaghetti outside of Leone; the man is a master of the craft- great visuals, sly humor, and wonderful music timing.

My favorite three of his so far are Good Bad & Ugly (always), Duck You Sucker, and Once Upon a Time in the Old West.

Are there any on Netflix? I need an excuse to re-up, as I've seen what I want out of it currently.

HP Hovercraft
Jan 1, 2006

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
yo my dudes, watch Yojimbo and High Plains Drifter.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Duck You Sucker had a great score. And a great name.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Duck You Sucker had a great score. And a great name.

Apparently Leone was convinced Duck, You Sucker was a phrase Americans use all the time and wouldn't be told other wise.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
That music box duel is tense as poo poo and rules

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I really like once upon a time in the west, frank is some hard*ss

"Trust ya?How can you trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders, a man who can't even trust his own pants?"

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Yea Leone really knew how to establish a great villain. I love the scene in The Good the Bad and the Ugly where Angel Eyes goes back to the guy who hired him and is like "well, I killed that guy just like you asked, but a funny thing happened. Before he died he paid me to kill you, and I always complete the jobs I'm paid for so...."

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
the story goes that when Henry Fonda was first approached to play Frank that he wasn't interested because Leone's initial proposal was pretty mangled and incomprehensible in both languages. Then Leone told him to imagine when the audience sees a killer staring down at a young boy surrounded by his dead family, then the camera pans up and the killer is Henry Fonda.

also he was all set to shoot a movie about the Siege of Leningrad with DeNiro but his heart exploded from too much pasta during pre-production

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
so what I said was kinda wrong but not entirely so watch the gently caress out of this, Blockbuster Video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHI6Hl7FUqA

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
I'm living in Spain at the moment, and recommend a visit to Mini Hollywood, Fort Bravo and Western Leone in Almeria if you get the chance. A ton of spaghetti westerns were shot at them, including the Dollars trilogy. Mini Hollywood is the most overtly touristy (there's also a zoo and various live shows as well as the sets, so you could spend most of a day there), and even though it claims to still be used as a movie lot I don't think anything's been shot there recently. Western Leone is tiny and there isn't much to it. Fort Bravo is the most 'realistic' with both a western town and a Mexican village set, but the middle of the former has a rather incongruous steampunk building left over from a Matt Smith episode of Doctor Who - which gives away how long it must be since anything was filmed there.

If you go a bit further afield to Albaricoques, you can visit Calle Clint Eastwood where Leone shot gunfights for the first two Dollars films as well. It's an ordinary residential street, but drat if it doesn't have the best name in the world.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Whoa that's really cool!

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
I don't know if it counts as Real Spaghetti but The Shootist is really fuckin good. Old John Wayne, Young Ron Howard, Lauren Bacall as The Woman, Jimmy Stewart as The Doctor.

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

it doesn't

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

so what I said was kinda wrong but not entirely so watch the gently caress out of this, Blockbuster Video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHI6Hl7FUqA

I have the DVD. That interview is pro click.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
Fun fact: Akira Kurosawa made like 5 times as much money off the royalties from Fist Full Of Dollars than he made from Yojimbo itself.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Pneub posted:

Fun fact: Akira Kurosawa made like 5 times as much money off the royalties from Fist Full Of Dollars than he made from Yojimbo itself.

Kurosawa went through extended periods where he was not respected as a filmmaker in Japan and had a very difficult time getting funding. His films always seemed to appeal more to Western audiences and that wasn't exactly appreciated in Japan.

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004

Hector Beerlioz posted:

For A Few Dollars More still remains the best of them all.
This is absurd considering Once Upon a Time in the West exists

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004
And hell if we're gonna talk Leone, Once Upon a Time in America is his best movie

maybe. Hard to decide between that and Once Upon a Time in the West

A CRUNK BIRD fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Feb 3, 2017

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

A CRUNK BIRD posted:

And hell if we're gonna talk Leone, Once Upon a Time in America is his best movie

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

I agree with Harmonica, For a Few Dollars More is the best Leone

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

the good the bad nd the ugly is the best one but man a few dollars more is more fun to watch. this isnt leone, but i enjoyed the great silence a lot, its probably my favorite non-leone spaghetti western

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Fungah! posted:

the good the bad nd the ugly is the best one but man a few dollars more is more fun to watch. this isnt leone, but i enjoyed the great silence a lot, its probably my favorite non-leone spaghetti western

Is that the one with Klaus Kinski in it? It takes place in Montana or something so everything is covered in snow?

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Is that the one with Klaus Kinski in it? It takes place in Montana or something so everything is covered in snow?

yeah thats the one. havent seen it in like ten years, really enjoyed it though

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Fungah! posted:

yeah thats the one. havent seen it in like ten years, really enjoyed it though

I remember watching it yet I couldn't tell you anything about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

its bgood, thats what i can tell you about it. good action scenes, real bleak endng

• Locked thread