Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

quote:

Og (Hebrew: עוֹג‎, ʿog ˈʕoːɡ; Arabic: عوج‎‎, cogh [ʕoːɣ]) according to The Torah, was an Amorite king of Bashan who, along with his army, was slain by Moses and his men at the battle of Edrei.

quote:

The Talmud further recounts that Og was so large that he sought the destruction of the Israelites by uprooting a mountain huge enough to crush the entire Israelite encampment. The Lord caused a swarm of ants to dig away the center of the mountain, which was resting on Og's head. The mountain then fell onto Og's shoulders. As Og attempted to lift the mountain off himself, the Lord caused Og's teeth to lengthen outward, becoming embedded into the mountain that was now surrounding his head.

Moses, fulfilling the LORD's injunction not to fear him, seized a stick of ten cubits length, and jumped a similar vertical distance, succeeding in striking Og in the ankle. Og fell down and died upon hitting the ground.[2]

(10 cubits is about 15 feet. Coincidentally, in Talmudic tradition, Moses was also 15 feet tall, though it's still pretty impressive that he could jump his own height!)

The Talmud is a two-thousand year old, sacred text. It's also completely absurd. Post some other good poo poo from it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
A bunch of rabbis standing round a newly written parchment.

"whoa"

"Badass"

Sorryformybadjokes
Apr 21, 2004

I identify as a simian who pronounces the 'silent' letters in words.
Fallen Rib
and then right after that a little boy was stung on the very tip of his foreskin by a Cyprian and millions of years later little boys are still having pieces of their penus lopped off.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

Isaac posted:

"whoa"

"Badass"

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Isaac posted:

"whoa"

"Badass"

my mental image here is yoda from episode 2, but with a beard

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!
So Moses hits Og in the ankle after jumping 15 feet straight up? Okay, so while standing, my own ankle is about 2.5 inches off the ground, so if Og was of a similar proportion to myself, he'd be 414 feet tall, assuming he hits Og in the ankle horizontally. But, let's say he uses his 15 foot "stick" to reach up and hit Og, so maybe Og's ankle is 30 feet off the ground, in which case he'd be 828 feet tall.

Whatever these guys were smoking, I'd like some.

Sole.Sushi fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Dec 13, 2016

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot
im golem

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
everybody in ancient times had way too much time on their hands

thank god we invented capitalism to occupy all that dead space

ScratchAndSniff
Sep 28, 2008

This game stinks
Did this happen before or after Moses went Super Saijewan????

The chronology how these one-off stories are supposed to fit in with thr larger narrative has always confused me.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Sole.Sushi posted:

So Moses hits Og in the ankle after jumping 15 feet straight up? Okay, so while standing, my own ankle is about 2.5 inches off the ground, so if Og was of a similar proportion to myself, he'd be 414 feet tall, assuming he hits Og in the ankle horizontally. But, let's say he uses his 15 foot "stick" to reach up and hit Og, so maybe Og's ankle is 30 feet off the ground, in which case he'd be 828 feet tall.

Whatever these guys were smoking, I'd like some.

His bed was said to be "nine cubits in length and four cubits in width", i.e. about 13' x 6'. However, the Talmudic rabbis argued that the cubit (which is literally "the length from the middle finger tip to the elbow bottom") was in this case measured from Og himself.

They've thought it all out, man. They're thirty moves ahead of you and I!

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

every holy book (the bible, koran, kloran, vedas, talmut, etc) all dont say i cant stick thigns up my own rear end

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
Moses was a man born in the wrong age. Could have killed it in the NBA.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
here are some much better 2,000 year old writings. i dont think you should read that kooky talmund stuff, its basically the Dianetics of the day:
http://oll.libertyfund.org/people/marcus-tullius-cicero

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

Rutibex posted:

here are some much better 2,000 year old writings. i dont think you should read that kooky talmund stuff, its basically the Dianetics of the day:

Id rather hear about moses and god tagteaming an 800ft tall dude

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
*is peasant in ancient times, etches erotic fanfiction into stone tablets*

"Heh, nobody will ever find this once I die from the plague or oncoming horde of bandits!"

*Village catches on fire, fire hardens tablets, texts remain preserved for centuries*

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
is there a mention of penis size in any ancient religious texts?

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
You tell your friends your dick is half a cubit long but when you were measuring it you were kinda bending your hand a bit and your middle finger wasnt out straight.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

EorayMel posted:

*is peasant in ancient times, etches erotic fanfiction into stone tablets*

"Heh, nobody will ever find this once I die from the plague or oncoming horde of bandits!"

*Village catches on fire, fire hardens tablets, texts remain preserved for centuries*

this actually happened! some of our oldest biographies of a bunch of the roman emperors comes from a (dark ages?) guy who just made up a bunch of bullshit Roman fanfiction. the fanfiction was copied through out the ages as genuine history:

http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/e/roman/texts/historia_augusta/home.html

my favorite part, from the biography of Marcus Aurelius (the emperor in Gladiator)

quote:

By his prayers he summoned a thunderbolt from heaven against a war-engine of the enemy, and successfully besought rain for his men when they were suffering from thirst.

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

dark shoahs

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

make sure you get the forlorn gentile coat from the cave of canaanites

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Back then we didn't have wikipedia articles on anime to update, the social lepers needed SOMETHING to sperg on.

BIG PUFFY NIPS
Mar 7, 2007

College Slice
if an 800 ft dude with a mountain on his head fell down seems like he would have hosed up everything in front of him pretty bad

RolandTower
Nov 19, 2003

Guns n' Roses n' Deus Ex Machina
Bleak Gremlin
Moses was hella fist of the North Star

What's the ancient Hebrew for "you are already dead"

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

I wonder if all the giants in the Bible were just regular slightly big guys who were exaggerated as the story was retold and passed down. They wouldn't even be considered big by today's standards due to nutritional differences.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
moses was a badass

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Moon Atari posted:

I wonder if all the giants in the Bible were just regular slightly big guys who were exaggerated as the story was retold and passed down. They wouldn't even be considered big by today's standards due to nutritional differences.

I'd basically be Goliath. Also because I'm taller than 99% of the people I meet :v:

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
"So then the golem fuckin comes back and kills HIM. fuckin what do ya reckon fellas"

Other rabbis: fuckin sick

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

"that goyim...he's...inhuman!"

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
My dad is tougher than your dad has probably been a thing kids said to eachother since the dawn of time. Much like "The cool S"

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

EorayMel posted:

I'd basically be Goliath. Also because I'm taller than 99% of the people I meet :v:

I'd be Solomon because i like to gently caress, but mostly because my sweet katanas can cut any gaijin baby in half

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

Isaac posted:

My dad is tougher than your dad has probably been a thing kids said to eachother since the dawn of time. Much like "The cool S"

hell yeah I am

Smashurbanipal
Sep 12, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT BEING A SHITTY POSTER
rabbi gay. so what

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

Rutibex posted:

ya this is boring poo poo man get out

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

*extremely han solo voice*

it's true. all of it

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

Isaac posted:

"So then the golem fuckin comes back and kills HIM. fuckin what do ya reckon fellas"

Other rabbis: fuckin sick

rabbis talk like aussie bushmen lol

Genderfluent
Jul 15, 2015

This story reads like a Wile E. Coyote cartoon plot

Zenos Paradise
Apr 2, 2011

Did somebody say honeypot?
im goy

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator
Who's the guy that wanted 3000 foreskins or whatever for a wedding dowry? Saul? Solomon? One of those guys.

That guy was a real goofball lemme tell you where would he even put them????

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

With you and the constellations

drat horror queefs posted:

Who's the guy that wanted 3000 foreskins or whatever for a wedding dowry? Saul? Solomon? One of those guys.

That guy was a real goofball lemme tell you where would he even put them????

napkin art

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
rabbi: oi cahnt i been thinking what if while moses was away they started worshiping any old poo poo

rabbit 2: gently caress yeah cuz

• Locked thread