Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
There was a radio show called John Saffran and Father Bob that was a jewish commedian and a a really old catholic priest. Saffran was always talking about weird shabbat stuff.

The one I remember best was how they couldnt turn the lights on in the temple you had to like go get a non-jew to turn the lights on, but you cant ask you have to get them to do it without asking somehow. He had a story of a rabbi or whatever approaching him outside a temple in st kilda and thinking he was a non jew and trying to get him to turn the lights on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

The only weird Sabbath thing i knew about is the contraption to answer a telephone wothout technocally performing work.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

basic hitler posted:

The only weird Sabbath thing i knew about is the contraption to answer a telephone wothout technocally performing work.

they should install these in call centers

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
I got the vaugest memory of some story about a water pump that started pumping up polluted or poisoned water and there was an extremely complicated matter dealing with it on shabbat.

Like is it poisonous enough to mean deactivating it will save a life? If its deactivated who should be the one to do it? Should it be done by a jew or a goy? If its done by a jew should it be a more observant jew or a less observant one?

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

I was playing Harvest Moon 64 with this kid who lived on my street and my cows were not doing well and I got so raged up and frustrated that my eyes welled up with tears and my friend was like are you crying dude. Are you crying because of the cows. I didn't understand the feeding mechanic.

basic hitler posted:

:psyduck: it's like they invented an entire divine legal theory to circumvent the will of God as much as possible.

The circumvention, with certain guidelines, is part of the will of God itself

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

I was playing Harvest Moon 64 with this kid who lived on my street and my cows were not doing well and I got so raged up and frustrated that my eyes welled up with tears and my friend was like are you crying dude. Are you crying because of the cows. I didn't understand the feeding mechanic.
The talmud is also quite popular in South Korea

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

If you live near a large jewish population, is there any money in being a shabbos goy? assuming that yes, one has nothin better to do with their time

try to ignore the fact hitler is asking

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

basic hitler posted:

If you live near a large jewish population, is there any money in being a shabbos goy? assuming that yes, one has nothin better to do with their time

No, not really. It barely ever comes up, only in strange and uncommon situations.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

basic hitler posted:

http://www.chabad.org/library/article_cdo/aid/1140867/jewish/The-Myth-of-the-Shabbos-Goy.htm

Looks like theres (Big suprise) lots of rules about it

5er
Jun 1, 2000

myDad posted:

Just getting ready for work in the morning nbd

The majestic, mythical Jewnicorn.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

drat i was hoping i could make some easy saturday money :(

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

basic hitler posted:

drat i was hoping i could make some easy saturday money :(

This is where I would make a joke about easy money being made from an observant of the Sabbath, but

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Isaac posted:

I got the vaugest memory of some story about a water pump that started pumping up polluted or poisoned water and there was an extremely complicated matter dealing with it on shabbat.

Like is it poisonous enough to mean deactivating it will save a life? If its deactivated who should be the one to do it? Should it be done by a jew or a goy? If its done by a jew should it be a more observant jew or a less observant one?

at megiddo the last jews there got in a line and the dude next in line would cut the throat of the dude in front of him so they wouldnt go to hell for suicide but then the last guy drew the short straw i guess and killed himself and went to hell so i think someone is probably in hell for loving with the poison water

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

President Ark posted:

old-style angels were really loving weird

gently caress this little baby cupid poo poo, give me more angels who are so terrifying in form they have to cover themselves and constantly tell everyone to not freak the gently caress out about how loving weird and incomprehensible they are

some artnerd draws them and theyre way better than the dumb boring white guy with robe and wings thing we got going on now

http://www.angelarium.net/seraphim/

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Revelation depicts bizarre angels as well. Of course that's christianity and all, but john q patmos must've been high as hell

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
in a lot of mythology you can connect the creatures or gods or whatever to some kind of natural event or something that happened in history. like the tl:dr of the minotaur is the greeks believed the minotaur stomping around in it's labyrinth is why Cyprus had so many earthquakes. wonder if the weird rear end wheels with wings have anything to do with something that actually happened or if it was the result of hashish

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Robo Reagan posted:

at megiddo the last jews there got in a line and the dude next in line would cut the throat of the dude in front of him so they wouldnt go to hell for suicide but then the last guy drew the short straw i guess and killed himself and went to hell so i think someone is probably in hell for loving with the poison water

I don't think the Jews believe in a literal place called Hell. That sounds a lot like the Josephus Problem.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Robo Reagan posted:

some artnerd draws them and theyre way better than the dumb boring white guy with robe and wings thing we got going on now

Get this guy to do the art for the next Shin Megami Tensei game.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

Robo Reagan posted:

Is this extremely loving trippy or is it the cocktail of drugs ive consumed? (serious question)

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Robo Reagan posted:

in a lot of mythology you can connect the creatures or gods or whatever to some kind of natural event or something that happened in history. like the tl:dr of the minotaur is the greeks believed the minotaur stomping around in it's labyrinth is why Cyprus had so many earthquakes. wonder if the weird rear end wheels with wings have anything to do with something that actually happened or if it was the result of hashish

Fever dreams bro, poo poo gets geometric at a certain point

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

Robo Reagan posted:

They could have been in a circle so nobody is left out. Going out by throat cut sounds horrible. Too bad wrist slices were probably not known back them. Ouch.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Haier posted:

They could have been in a circle so nobody is left out. Going out by throat cut sounds horrible. Too bad wrist slices were probably not known back them. Ouch.

circles weren't invented yet idiot

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I thought the mass suicide was at Masada, not Megiddo?

IMO a bunch of people who thought the romans wouldn't just build a giant ramp up to their unassailable fortress probably weren't smart enough to improvise a murder circle in their twilight moments.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

basic hitler posted:

I thought the mass suicide was at Masada, not Megiddo?

IMO a bunch of people who thought the romans wouldn't just build a giant ramp up to their unassailable fortress probably weren't smart enough to improvise a murder circle in their twilight moments.

tbh it was probably a good as an idea you could come up with. like 2000 years ago i'd have a hard time believing a bunch of assholes would build a big ramp up to my kickass mountain base

and yeah masada was the place. megiddo is where the 10 round fight between jesus and satan is going to take place

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

Robo Reagan posted:

still too human looking. where's the angel that's just a big ring of eyes?

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Prettz posted:

still too human looking. where's the angel that's just a big ring of eyes?

goatse_with_eyes.jpg

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Isaac posted:

seems like if god was that serious about this sort of thing he would handle it himself instead of making people break his rules

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
god is a huge rear end in a top hat and the old testament is p much a survival guide on how to survive a lovely life with a vengeful god wrecking everything because he hates you

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
This NSFW image about Saul and his foreskin collection is p on-topic.

http://imgur.com/iOzfCdb

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Was David the dude that had his enemies all circumcise themselves under the guise of forming a truce, only to turn around and slaughter all of then while they were still healing? Was that just in the regular Old Testament?

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:

Robo Reagan posted:

these are sick :rock:

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Batterypowered7 posted:

Was David the dude that had his enemies all circumcise themselves under the guise of forming a truce, only to turn around and slaughter all of then while they were still healing? Was that just in the regular Old Testament?

I believe that's another story, called The Slaughter of the Shechemites or The Rape of Dinah.

Shechem, a local prince, lay with Dinah, daughter of Jacob. This offended Dinah's brothers, so Shechem's father offered to pay whatever price was demanded in recompense for the loss of Dinah's virginity. (A very generous response, by the standard of the time.)

quote:

`The sons of Jacob answered Shechem and his father Hamor deceitfully, because he had defiled their sister Dinah. They said to them, "We cannot do this thing, to give our sister to one who is uncircumcised for that would be a disgrace to us. Only on this condition will we consent to you: that you will become as we are and every male among you be circumcised. Then we will give our daughters to you, and we will take your daughters for ourselves, and we will live among you and become one people. But if you will not listen to us and be circumcised, then we will take our daughter and be gone."'
(Gen. 34:13-17, New RSV)

The Shechemites were disarmed by this approach, agreed to it and were circumcised without delay. The sons of Jacob must also have had some regard for Shechem, for they said that he was more honourable than all the household of his father (Gen. 34:19). Not that this stopped what happened next:

`On the third day, when they were still in pain, two of the sons of Jacob, Simeon and Levi, Dinah's brothers, took their swords and came against the city unawares, and killed all the males. They killed Hamor and his son Shechem with the sword, and took Dinah out of Shechem's house, and went away.'
(Gen. 34:25-26, New RSV)

Some good moral lessons here, I think.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

PleasingFungus posted:

So the Shechemites were bad guys? Sounds like they pretty cool about it :shrug:

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

PleasingFungus posted:

I believe that's another story, called The Slaughter of the Shechemites or The Rape of Dinah.

Shechem, a local prince, lay with Dinah, daughter of Jacob. This offended Dinah's brothers, so Shechem's father offered to pay whatever price was demanded in recompense for the loss of Dinah's virginity. (A very generous response, by the standard of the time.)

LOL at the white knights. "Wah, our sister had sex with somebody. She's like, our property, man!! If anyone is gonna be loving my sister, it's gonna be ME!"

The obsession with everyone else's dicks is really weird. Does anyone have any information about why they suddenly, as a tribe/people, decided to start slashing up their own dicks? I don't mean because God said so, I mean like what compelled them to do that while living in a time where a small infection could possibly end your life. If you take out the God part of it, it seriously makes no sense.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

there is a part of the old testament where moses sees god's rear end and i think it temporarily blinds him

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

That post username combo had to be intentional

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:

get that OUT of my face posted:

there is a part of the old testament where moses sees god's rear end and i think it temporarily blinds him

i dont know what this smilie is for but i want to use it a lot now

:buttfame:

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Rabbi Eliezer Discovers Magic: Uses it to Grow Cucumbers

quote:

'Moreover, I have studied three hundred, (or, as others state, three thousand laws) about the planting of cucumbers [by magic] and no man, excepting Akiba b. Joseph, ever questioned me thereon. For it once happened that he and I were walking together on a road, when he said to me, "My master, teach me about the planting of cucumbers". I made one statement, and the whole field [about us] was filled with cucumbers. Then he said, "Master, you have taught me how to plant them, now teach me how to pluck them up". I said something and all the cucumbers gathered in one place'

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
Your magic trick can only plant cucumbers?

Rabbi: *that image of the sunglasses going onto the face that says 'deal with it'*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

Isaac posted:

Your magic trick can only plant cucumbers?

Rabbi: *that image of the sunglasses going onto the face that says 'deal with it'*

IMO, having an ability to be awesome at producing a water-rich vegetable that could help save lives in a dry, dusty desert is a p cool power before having stuff like trucks and refrigeration.

Did anyone else watch The Naked Archaeologist? I know he's a crazy man with some crazy ideas, but that show was entertaining and I liked seeing all the places he'd go to in Israel, Jordan, and Egypt. The final season (three) had a lot more travel in it and I thought it was good. The topics in the show were about Biblical stories and seeing which could be proven by fact or history, or how something might be possible, etc. If anyone is interested in something like that, I recommend the show.

• Locked thread