Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009
Ugh all I know is we women are reeeeeaaaallly lucky female genital mutilation wasn't deemed "sacred" and "clean" and written down in some doctrine somewhere given all the "women are subservient pieces of property" sentiments that are thrown around in holy texts. Really dodged the bullet there. Sorry to all the women in places who aren't so lucky :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
Two Rabbis argued late into the night about the existence of God, and, using strong arguments from the scriptures, ended up indisputably disproving His existence. The next day, one Rabbi was surprised to see the other walking into the Shul for morning services.

"I thought we had agreed there was no God," he said.

"Yes, what does that have to do with it?" replied the other.

I think ive heard a far more elaborate version of this joke but this gets the point across

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Prettz posted:

still too human looking. where's the angel that's just a big ring of eyes?

Here you go

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

I was playing Harvest Moon 64 with this kid who lived on my street and my cows were not doing well and I got so raged up and frustrated that my eyes welled up with tears and my friend was like are you crying dude. Are you crying because of the cows. I didn't understand the feeding mechanic.

Haier posted:

LOL at the white knights. "Wah, our sister had sex with somebody. She's like, our property, man!! If anyone is gonna be loving my sister, it's gonna be ME!"

She was kidnapped and raped actually. Also there is no indication of incest at all there

Haier posted:

The obsession with everyone else's dicks is really weird. Does anyone have any information about why they suddenly, as a tribe/people, decided to start slashing up their own dicks? I don't mean because God said so, I mean like what compelled them to do that while living in a time where a small infection could possibly end your life. If you take out the God part of it, it seriously makes no sense.

Your whole question makes absolutely no sense. They obviously believed in God, so saying "take out the God part" is nonsensical. It's like saying, "why are people nowadays so obsessed being green?? I mean, put aside the whole 'climate change and global warming' thing...."

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Robo Reagan posted:

in a lot of mythology you can connect the creatures or gods or whatever to some kind of natural event or something that happened in history. like the tl:dr of the minotaur is the greeks believed the minotaur stomping around in it's labyrinth is why Cyprus had so many earthquakes. wonder if the weird rear end wheels with wings have anything to do with something that actually happened or if it was the result of hashish

You know how spiderman was a nuclear radiation spider for years till genetic engineering got cool and now he has a GMO spider origin? And like iron man was originally powered by TRANSISTORS but now he's like sci-fi fusion? And everything ever scifi is "quantum mechanics"

Go back and back and back and that never stopped, the bible is full of stuff about like bronze and iron and wheels and stuff. The highest tech stuff people use is always given magic properties.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsOlT-q89f0

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:

Haier posted:

LOL at the white knights. "Wah, our sister had sex with somebody. She's like, our property, man!! If anyone is gonna be loving my sister, it's gonna be ME!"

The obsession with everyone else's dicks is really weird. Does anyone have any information about why they suddenly, as a tribe/people, decided to start slashing up their own dicks? I don't mean because God said so, I mean like what compelled them to do that while living in a time where a small infection could possibly end your life. If you take out the God part of it, it seriously makes no sense.

lol did you use the term "white knight" unironically? pls go back to reddit

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

What about the dude that took his marching band like six times around some city and brought the walls down?

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
they also have too much babby dick in their mouths OP

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Batterypowered7 posted:

What about the dude that took his marching band like six times around some city and brought the walls down?

This guy I think?

[video type="youtu"]8rQDf2Hpapg[/video]

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot

basic hitler posted:

Revelation depicts bizarre angels as well. Of course that's christianity and all, but john q patmos must've been high as hell

patmos must have some cool species of mushrooms

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Doghouse posted:

She was kidnapped and raped actually.

The story is ambiguous. Shechem 'took' Dinah, 'lay with' and 'defiled' her, and this is often translated as 'raped', but as far as I can tell, there's nothing in the original Hebrew explicitly saying that Dinah did not consent (or that she did!). Presumably, whether or not the woman consented wasn't considered important by the authors. ('defilement' might be a reference to rape, or to something else; Alexander Rofé suggests it's about miscegenation.)

The ancient rabbis seem to have believed that Dinah was at least partially at fault:

quote:

Another midrash implicates Jacob in Dinah's misfortune. When he went to meet Esau, he locked Dinah in a box, for fear that Esau would wish to marry her,[7] but God rebuked him in these words: "If thou hadst married off thy daughter in time she would not have been tempted to sin..."

But the 'sin' might have been just leaving the house on her own?

The rabbis also suggest that she was miraculously transformed from a boy to a girl, so there's some real layers here.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Arrhythmia posted:

Rabbi Eliezer Discovers Magic: Uses it to Grow Cucumbers

this is sick

man, rabbi eliezer. he got into too many arguments with his colleagues, and they eventually excommunicated him. eliezer's pal, jimmy akiva, let him know in the nicest way possible, and as a result:

quote:

According to the Talmud, because Akiva broke the news gently, Eliezer (who had the power to destroy the world) annihilated no more than one-third of crops worldwide and burned only those things that were within his field of view; the tsunami that Eliezer raised that day was easily calmed by Rabbi Gamaliel.

who wrote this poo poo

Dicky mouse
Apr 11, 2008

"No No Not like that....Thats just silly"

PleasingFungus posted:

this is sick

man, rabbi eliezer. he got into too many arguments with his colleagues, and they eventually excommunicated him. eliezer's pal, jimmy akiva, let him know in the nicest way possible, and as a result:

who wrote this poo poo

The same editor as the book of mormon

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
Its like when you're like a little kid roleplaying dragon ball z or something.

"I shot you with lazer beams from my eyes that go through any armor you're dead"

"I have a force field"

"My lazer beam goes through force fields"

"Its a reflective forcefield it shoots the lazer back at you"

"Well I just dropped a mountain on you"

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO

basic hitler posted:

:psyduck: it's like they invented an entire divine legal theory to circumvent the will of God as much as possible.

that is exactly what they did.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

Haier posted:

This NSFW image about Saul and his foreskin collection is p on-topic.

http://imgur.com/iOzfCdb

that self satisfied smile

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

PleasingFungus posted:

this is sick

who wrote this poo poo

lmao

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

powers:
cucumber growing
universal annihilation
speaks french

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
Is it explained why the rabbis had magic powers?

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Isaac posted:

Isaac posted:

Its like when you're like a little kid roleplaying dragon ball z or something.

"I shot you with lazer beams from my eyes that go through any armor you're dead"

"I have a force field"

"My lazer beam goes through force fields"

"Its a reflective forcefield it shoots the lazer back at you"

"Well I just dropped a mountain on you"

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Isaac posted:

the art of kaballah, of course. master the seven names of god and the ten sefirot, and you too can conjure cucumbers at will!

start by studying this:

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
Wow suddenly the conspiracy theories make sense now

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

PleasingFungus posted:

the art of kaballah, of course. master the seven names of god and the ten sefirot, and you too can conjure cucumbers at will!

start by studying this:

Is this from Full Metal Alchemist? Are Rabbis anime?

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

rabbis are extemely anime

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Batterypowered7 posted:

Is this from Full Metal Alchemist? Are Rabbis anime?

Full Metal Alchemist is pretty much just The Golem of Prague for goys, when you get down to it.

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator

TOOT BOOT posted:

Dicky mouse
Apr 11, 2008

"No No Not like that....Thats just silly"

PleasingFungus posted:

Full Metal Alchemist is pretty much just The Golem of Prague for goys, when you get down to it.

there was a really good movie about that golem It! form 1967

In this scene a beta musiem worker who is clearly based off of norman bates goes to a rabbi about a scroll he found in a golem

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BrPGrVfWck#t=31m20s

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

Doghouse posted:

Your whole question makes absolutely no sense. They obviously believed in God, so saying "take out the God part" is nonsensical. It's like saying, "why are people nowadays so obsessed being green?? I mean, put aside the whole 'climate change and global warming' thing...."
I mean take out the "God said so" part and it is absolutely insane (still insane with the "God said so"). Some lunatic in the desert suddenly decided to tell his friends that "God" spoke to him and now the only way they can keep a deal with God is by.... hmm.. let's take knives to our dicks!
You can't just say it's a divine origin, no questions asked. Somebody, somewhere, got the idea that slicing up their private parts was the best way to go about things for some reason. I am just wondering if there was any other precedent in the area to remove foreskin before it was decided "God" said they had to circumcise each other.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

PleasingFungus posted:

this is sick

who wrote this poo poo

Ahaha that reads sarcastic as hell and I love it

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

TOOT BOOT posted:

:anime:

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

this thread has taught me i need to become a magic jew

someone pls help me how do i get started ???

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

A misanthrope posted:

this thread has taught me i need to become a magic jew

someone pls help me how do i get started ???

These days if you wanna annihilate the planet you need an Ohio class submarine, Or be a human gifted with the powers of an Ohio clas submarine.

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

Isaac posted:

These days if you wanna annihilate the planet you need an Ohio class submarine, Or be a human gifted with the powers of an Ohio clas submarine.

yeah how do i do that second one? i want to do jew goku kamehamehas

(pictured: goku saving anne frank from hitler)

de_dust
Jan 21, 2009

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
do they still do that weird vampire thing where they suck blood out of baby dicks?

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

de_dust posted:

do they still do that weird vampire thing where they suck blood out of baby dicks?

is that how i get jew power? i will do some weird poo poo if it lets me shoot energy blasts out of my eyes

de_dust
Jan 21, 2009

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
ive got a baby dick you could practice one

<---- pointing at my dong

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

de_dust posted:

ive got a baby dick you could practice one

<---- pointing at my dong

bleh! let's do this poo poo

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

A misanthrope posted:

yeah how do i do that second one? i want to do jew goku kamehamehas

(pictured: goku saving anne frank from hitler)

This picture made me laugh immoderately loudly on the bus. I was riding on the Sabbath! Oy!

therattle fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Dec 17, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

apparently yogis had all sorts of cool magical powers, and practiced taoist sages. lots of overlap w rabbi powers.

one rabbi power is teleportation, aka, the kefitzat haderech. (popularized in Dune as kwisatz haderach.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kefitzat_Haderech

jesus actually demonstrates this power in the gospels.

quote:

John 6
16 ¶ And when even was now come, his disciples went down unto the sea,
17 and entered into a ship, and went over the sea toward Caper'na-um. And it was now dark, and Jesus was not come to them.
18 And the sea arose by reason of a great wind that blew.
19 So when they had rowed about five and twenty or thirty furlongs, they see Jesus walking on the sea, and drawing nigh unto the ship: and they were afraid.
20 But he saith unto them, It is I; be not afraid.
21 Then they willingly received him into the ship: and immediately the ship was at the land whither they went.

he can teleport not only himself, but the boat and all the passengers. presumably (this is how i am reading it) he has total control over reality; it's not so much "teleportation" as he just rearranges things to his liking. like Q from TNG.

i don't recall for certain, but i have to imagine transmutation is another power imputed not only to Jesus but to many superpowered sages in a variety of cultures. if you can teleport, and lift mountains with your mind, and fly, you can probably turn water into wine.

• Locked thread