Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Meatwolfe
Oct 31, 2011

Lodin posted:

What was the last thing they made? The first Star Citizen trailer and that god awful Roman Gears of War for the Bone?
They hosed.

Ryse. That game was so boring and repetetive i could barely make it through the first level, and i enjoyed The Order.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Fame Douglas posted:

Seems like they are going down on the quick!

Not quick, they were on fire well over a year ago in a similar situation. I am absolutely amazed they're not dead already.

Strategic Tea posted:

The video games industry. Long hours, low relative pay, no job security, absurd conditions but hey at least the boss will never expect you to ~adult~

The pay is actually not all that bad but the rest is true.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

spank my snatch posted:

guy can't be trusted

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Prettz posted:

if they believed in the company and what it does and wanted to see it succeeded?

edit:
that doesn't excuse this case though, crytek has been dead/dying since they released crysis 2, and that was a long time ago.

Even though I've never worked in the game industry I can safely say that even if the company succeeds (it won't), the people who voluntarily worked without pay won't get any of the rewards.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Blazing Ownager posted:

Relative to other programmers.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Beyond pretty graphics and sometimes fun physics, crytek has never put out a good game. It's no wonder they have no money.

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

clone on the phone posted:

Beyond pretty graphics and sometimes fun physics, crytek has never put out a good game. It's no wonder they have no money.
they had plenty of money from far cry 1 and then crysis 1, and they peed it all down their leg.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
I'm glad that cool dev moved to id Software

He's like the John Carmack of modern rendering

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
you mean the company that makes game engines that no one licenses is going out of business holy poo poo

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Crysis was the best Predator game ever made.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

i dont give a gently caress who knows it: i loved far cry 2

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Pretty sure their big thing at one point was licensing out the engine. Then everyone just kept using Unreal or went with Unity so no money from that front besides bloody Star Citizen.
This list of all the games is pretty pathetic and telling. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_CryEngine_games
Also lol, Sonic Boom runs on CryEngine 4. Surprised a WiiU could even handle that.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

OMGVBFLOL posted:

i dont give a gently caress who knows it: i loved far cry 2

That's one horrible game, you have really bad taste. Hope you get malaria for this opinion and are all out of pills!

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I thought Crysis was really drat cool before the aliens arrived. It was pretty much a deforestation simulator for me, but at the time that was really fuckin' cool

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Crysis really was a revolutionary game IMO, similar to Half-Life. They tried implementing so many interesting new concepts and managed to make some of them work well. Unfortunately they saw the COD money and tried to emulate it in Crysis 2 and beyond and failed.

I honestly don't know if great single-player FPS games are viable anymore, it takes years to make and the revenue only comes from the initial sales. Compare that to COD where you release a new $60 game every year by basically copying last years version, making some tweaks, and having a great marketing team. The only way I see a single-player FPS like Half-Life 3 being viable is if Valve decides to make it as a marketing tool so people like Valve more and buy their other games. Another possibility is charging $100+ for a great single-player FPS. I know I would be willing to pay $100+ for Half-Life 3, a company just needs to grow some balls and test the market with a $100+ game.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I am absolutely not okay with raising the floor on new releases to $100 usd

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
go crytek me a river

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

myDad posted:

I'm glad that cool dev moved to id Software

He's like the John Carmack of modern rendering

What does id do these days? Where they involved with Doom 2016? Carmack is all Occulus and rockets now iirc.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

qkkl posted:

I honestly don't know if great single-player FPS games are viable anymore, it takes years to make and the revenue only comes from the initial sales. Compare that to COD where you release a new $60 game every year by basically copying last years version, making some tweaks, and having a great marketing team. The only way I see a single-player FPS like Half-Life 3 being viable is if Valve decides to make it as a marketing tool so people like Valve more and buy their other games. Another possibility is charging $100+ for a great single-player FPS. I know I would be willing to pay $100+ for Half-Life 3, a company just needs to grow some balls and test the market with a $100+ game.

my man have you heard of the game called Doom that came out this year?

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I think bethesda has more or less totally absorbed id but yeah iirc id still makes them

quake con has been total poo poo since they got bought though

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
If my company had failed to pay me for more than two weeks I'd be contacting a goddamn lawyer because it's a massive red flag that poo poo is about to hit the wall.

If you don't act first, everyone else will be suing them and you'll never see your money. If you're first to smack them upside the head with a lawyer and threaten to make a huge amount of noise, they'll pay you what they owe just to shut you up and stop you rocking the boat.

Poor old gaming programmers are getting punched in the face with some 'just world' fallacy - "Oh, if I do the right thing and keep working really, really hard, things will certainly work out. And I'm sure the company will not only pay me everything they owe me, but maybe throw in something extra, too! They'll certainly appreciate everything I'm doing and all my sacrifices."

Someone once called it "meat and veg morality" and it will get you hosed so hard in this world.

The poor programmers will still be believing in the value of sacrifice and hard work and loyalty while the execs stuff duffel bags full of cash into their half million dollar luxury cars and laugh all the way home.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Dec 14, 2016

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost
lol if you have loyalty to a company that doesn't pay you

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

LordArgh posted:

Haha this for real. "I believe in their vision." *Adds anatomically correct mesh and texture to watch_dogs2 npc_fe_citizens vagina.*

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

basic hitler posted:

quake con has been total poo poo since they got bought though

This. The vendor rooms used to be cool showcases of VIA with super overclocked poo poo and new tech. Also in mesquite which is lol.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

i still have the t-shirt i got from playing the left 4 dead demo in 2007, which i used as a pillow in the byoc between meeting up with friends in a nearby seedy motel room to hit a bong and drink stolen beer. That was almost 10 years ago gently caress.

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

Lodin posted:

Pretty sure their big thing at one point was licensing out the engine. Then everyone just kept using Unreal or went with Unity so no money from that front besides bloody Star Citizen.
This list of all the games is pretty pathetic and telling. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_CryEngine_games
Also lol, Sonic Boom runs on CryEngine 4. Surprised a WiiU could even handle that.
no one used their engine partly because they offered jack poo poo support for it

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer

LordArgh posted:

lol if you have loyalty to a company that DOES pay you. Regardless of how much you do over and above the requirements of the job, a company will dump your rear end in a heartbeat if the bean counters say it's of benefit to the company.

Don't get me wrong, integrity and work ethic are GOOD things. While you are working for a company, putting in a good effort over the time you are employed and doing the best job you can is laudable, and what you should be doing. However, "loyalty" is completely irrelevant bullshit, which is something you'll hopefully learn the first time you hear the phrase "nothing personal, it's just business" after having put in months/years of unpaid overtime.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

qkkl posted:

. I know I would be willing to pay $100+ for Half-Life 3, a company just needs to grow some balls and test the market with a $100+ game.

Die

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

qkkl if you're some loving activision or EA executive testing the waters with your brilliant idea i just want you to know i will see the earth beneath your office razed and salted before I ever pay $100 for a video game.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
also, horse armor proves that DLC will never take off

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

Fame Douglas posted:

That's one horrible game, you have really bad taste. Hope you get malaria for this opinion and are all out of pills!

the setting and enemy AI were so cool that it just completely overrode everything else. I loved the dingy, rusty African failed state setting. It was a huge gamble in an era when literally every other FPS was trying to be Saving Private Ryan: The Game. And the way the enemies fanned out into cover and flanked you felt really authentic and unnerving; it made stealth its own reward.

The fire effects and action-movie battlefield surgery were cool as hell too.

I get that it took way too many gambles with gameplay and style to have broad appeal, but idgaf because i liked all the weird poo poo they did

on topic tho: lmao at continuing to show up for work after even one paycheck doesn't show up

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

basic hitler posted:

qkkl if you're some loving activision or EA executive testing the waters with your brilliant idea i just want you to know i will see the earth beneath your office razed and salted before I ever pay $100 for a video game.

I would be ok paying $100 for games that were truly premium products.

Unfortunately what would actually happen it would just be $100 for Bethesda level writing or the next Babby's First game by Blizzard, so I'm not a fan of the idea.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Let me tell you why I was moved to tears by the artistry and plot of Shadow of the Colossus *has unchecked and rampant mental illness

Lazer Monkey
Jan 15, 2005

Blazing Ownager posted:

In my experience it depends on wther you're a graphics artist or programmer, programmers get way more..

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

spank my snatch posted:

guy can't be trusted
Really. Be careful of his left-handed karate chop, because it's a fake hand and will knock you out so fast. Usually he just calmly and coolly walks away, but he's still not to be trusted.. He will try to get you killed in other ways.

Rasta_Al
Jul 14, 2001

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
Fun Shoe
Gaben should just go the Wu-tang route and make Half-life 3 but put it up for auction to the highest bidder so Shkrelli can buy it. Imagine all those nerd tears.

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

I'd like to note that I just played through crysis for the first time in years just a few months ago, and not only does it still hold up great, it still looks absolutely loving gorgeous. The grass and leaf textures are a bit lower res than in recent games, but otherwise it still looks fantastic. Considerably better than far cry 3.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Hi, I just wanted to say that this is a hell of a good thread title and an interesting thread.

Also if your paycheck is late by more than a day, steal everything that isn't nailed down, and if you're lucky enough to steal a hammer steal the nailed down stuff too.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

FarCry and Crysis were fun when you were skulking around islands having jungle gunfights with soldiers. The problem is that during the planning meetings, when that one guy stood up and said "WE NEED MUTANTS AND ALIENS THAT KILL YOU INSTANTLY AND TAKE 9000 ROUNDS TO DIE", they actually listened to him instead of throwing pens at him and telling him to go away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I had forgotten about the mutants in far cry and that part of the game is maybe the least fun ive ever had in a video game.

• Locked thread